RZ/RD 350 & Misc. 2-Stroke Tech BBS

Technical Forums for Two-Stroke Nuts
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:54 pm 

There are great points either way. Let's be real here, most that own these bikes don't ride them. I think everyone here rides them, and we are not most RZ owners. We are just the "sick"ones. Then you get into all the modified bikes, which until modern or recent times, were just about all of them that were rode and crashed. My bikes back in the '80s were modified as soon as parts had expired. Larger tire's, brake pads, chains, fibreglass body kits, seats (I like sitting on the rails). The collectors can drive prices to stupid new NOS levels, I just want to build what I have and ride the wheels off them. I was going to build 4 of mine as stock units, with stock stock parts in the best condition I could find. I'm thinking of changing that approach and just building stock based, better RZs. In a nut shell, with modifications that I feel improve the bike without losing the natural RZ appeal. Retaining wheels and handling characteristics.
When restoring, my belief is to use the stock paint scheme but not match the colours. A redone bike should look different from original. This way, the original, mint bikes have true, high price value. Now that's just my opinion. Even rough, original bikes gain in value, after all, it's original.
I trust that my builds will be of value to those that appreciate them and want to ride. That's what they will be built for. Whether or not they are worth much, is irrelevant.
I guess, overall, NOS prices are just over inflated price grabs to me. The good thing, is that there are tons of parts out there for us, many are still being manufactured.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:47 am 

hondaror wrote:
There are great points either way. Let's be real here, most that own these bikes don't ride them. I think everyone here rides them, and we are not most RZ owners. We are just the "sick"ones. Then you get into all the modified bikes, which until modern or recent times, were just about all of them that were rode and crashed. My bikes back in the '80s were modified as soon as parts had expired. Larger tire's, brake pads, chains, fibreglass body kits, seats (I like sitting on the rails). The collectors can drive prices to stupid new NOS levels, I just want to build what I have and ride the wheels off them. I was going to build 4 of mine as stock units, with stock stock parts in the best condition I could find. I'm thinking of changing that approach and just building stock based, better RZs. In a nut shell, with modifications that I feel improve the bike without losing the natural RZ appeal. Retaining wheels and handling characteristics.
When restoring, my belief is to use the stock paint scheme but not match the colours. A redone bike should look different from original. This way, the original, mint bikes have true, high price value. Now that's just my opinion. Even rough, original bikes gain in value, after all, it's original.
I trust that my builds will be of value to those that appreciate them and want to ride. That's what they will be built for. Whether or not they are worth much, is irrelevant.
I guess, overall, NOS prices are just over inflated price grabs to me. The good thing, is that there are tons of parts out there for us, many are still being manufactured.

I agree with most of your thoughts. I happen to have bikes that are already pretty close to original. Keeping them close to stock is important for the overall value. What I was really trying to get a handle on is this:
The original rear sprocket was silver. Yamaha superseded that with black. They are found on eBay for around 100-150. The aftermarket ones are available for $40. If a collector is looking at your bike would a $40 aftermarket sprocket depreciate the overall selling price by an amount greater than the $100-$150 cost of the OEM sprocket?
Sprockets would not matter to me all that much. But I would find fault with other comparably priced items like turn signals and mirrors.

A modest "high" can be obtained by listening carefully to the sound of a 2-stroke hitting the fat part of the powerband while inhaling cool fall air tainted by the exhaust scent of VP-C12 and Golden Spectro, mixed at 24:1.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:44 am 

Yeah, original rates, if you are looking for true value. I don't give a rats ass about value. I love to ride these bikes.
If your bike's value is important, pay through the nose to be technically correct. It matters to collectors. Values do plumit with regards to non stockreplacement parts.
Jon is a perfect example of building a bike to stock expectations. He is also a master of modifications. On his restorations, every nut and bolt matters, as does the finish and all the details. He does beautiful work.