Public Reactions riding the 2 stroke?

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Hooligan

Re: Public Reactions riding the 2 stroke?

#61 Post by Hooligan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Zedixe13 wrote:The LC feel a little bit under damped and you sit lower . When I was slimmer ( 75-80 Kg )
I had a very hard time holding the handle bar and using the clutch lever and trying not to slip back on the seat .
More likely is that after 35 years the OEM shock has given its all and needs to be replaced. A modern shock with ride height adjustment is just the thing for an old LC. Makes a world of difference.

On the topic of this thread, I was just leaving a local bike shop, sitting at the intersection and a nice TZR250 rolled past and pulled into the same shop. I had to turn around and go talk to the owner. I pulled my helmet off and said, ""Don't see those things very often." To which he replied the exact same thing. We had a nice chat about old 2-stroke yams. :smt003 He knew a lot about the LC, and spotted many of my mods, as he had apparently raced one back in the day.

While we were chatting we had a couple of guys from the shop come out and drool over our old bikes. :smt004
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

TCRZ88

#62 Post by TCRZ88 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:47 am

Hooligan wrote:
Zedixe13 wrote:The LC feel a little bit under damped and you sit lower . When I was slimmer ( 75-80 Kg )
I had a very hard time holding the handle bar and using the clutch lever and trying not to slip back on the seat .
More likely is that after 35 years the OEM shock has given its all and needs to be replaced. A modern shock with ride height adjustment is just the thing for an old LC. Makes a world of difference.

On the topic of this thread, I was just leaving a local bike shop, sitting at the intersection and a nice TZR250 rolled past and pulled into the same shop. I had to turn around and go talk to the owner. I pulled my helmet off and said, ""Don't see those things very often." To which he replied the exact same thing. We had a nice chat about old 2-stroke yams. :smt003 He knew a lot about the LC, and spotted many of my mods, as he had apparently raced one back in the day.

While we were chatting we had a couple of guys from the shop come out and drool over our old bikes. :smt004
Love that![emoji4]

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Live long, and smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Hooligan

#63 Post by Hooligan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:16 pm

The other day, out on the LC I had two different people at two different locations come over and drool all over the LC. ;)
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

TCRZ88

#64 Post by TCRZ88 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Hooligan wrote:The other day, out on the LC I had two different people at two different locations come over and drool all over the LC. ;)
[emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Live long, and smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Ebayru

Public Reactions riding the 2 stroke?

#65 Post by Ebayru » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:17 am

I have s '90 Canadian RZ350, a '74 Suzuki GT550 with a sidecar and I just picked up a '78 Yamaha DT250 which I'm going over right now.

When I'm running errands with the GT rig or out for a ride on the RZ I have to allow extra time for the conversations I have with people fascinated by the bikes. Much of it is nostalgic reminiscing. I get it because I'll be 75 in April. Its amazing how all my aches and pains vanish when I'm riding. Most interesting is how therapeutic riding the RZ with the Canadian model clip-ons are for my back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 RZ350 (Canadian)
1974 Suzuki GT550 with sidecar
1978 Yamaha DT250

Forzfed

#66 Post by Forzfed » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:26 pm

Ebayru wrote:I have s '90 Canadian RZ350, a '74 Suzuki GT550 with a sidecar and I just picked up a '78 Yamaha DT250 which I'm going over right now.

When I'm running errands with the GT rig or out for a ride on the RZ I have to allow extra time for the conversations I have with people fascinated by the bikes. Much of it is nostalgic reminiscing. I get it because I'll be 75 in April. Its amazing how all my aches and pains vanish when I'm riding. Most interesting is how therapeutic riding the RZ with the Canadian model clip-ons are for my back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's awesome, thanks for sharing! You sit further down on the 86 and newer RZ, riding my 85 is a little hard on my lower back. Keep on riding! Hope you have and everyone else here has a good New Year and keep on smokin! :smt023
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

Forzfed

#67 Post by Forzfed » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Had my 86 sitting in the drive way the other week and someone knocked on the door and asked me if I wanted to sell it. Took the 86 for breakfast yesterday. I had it parked close to the bike rack where I could see it through the window. I was surprised to see a good looking around 30ish year old woman checking it out. When I left I rode about 2 blocks and had a guy in a dual purpose beemer pull up and give me the thumbs up. I told him to pull into the McDonald's which was a couple blocks away. I gave it some gas and he commented how fast the bike was! I showed him pictures of my 85 RZ and we talked about the bike for a while. Nice guy, he showed me where he rode his bike from Baja right down to Mexico city.
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

KIII

#68 Post by KIII » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 am

2nd trip to Malcom Smith's Motorsports in Riverside, in and out for some pre-mix. The Manager and several other employees were standing around my RZ. The older guys were schooling the kids on the RZ which none of the younger kids knew what it was. After chatting a bit I had to unleash the JL chambered sound! Im sure the kids wont forget about the RZ!

hondaror

#69 Post by hondaror » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:02 am

Not likely. It just takes a little education and before you know it the price of RZs will be climbing some more as the younger generations catch on.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

T.RexRacing

#70 Post by T.RexRacing » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 am

I used to work in a shop 100 yards from a Harley dealer. We frequently bought parts (I'm a Harley tech) from them. One day I ran down on the RZ to pick up something and parked next to a crowd surrounding a Confederate HellCat. ran in for the stuff and came out to the crowd now surrounding the RZ. Even the HellCat owner. "I used to have one of those.......I had an RD in high school............." In case ya don't know this is a HellCat. They are actually the best of the Harley CLones 'cause they're not really a clone just use a big S&S V-Twin powerplant.

The best is sitting at a stoplight and some guy in the car next to me says" hey man.......HEY MAN....yer bike is smokin'." :smt004
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

brrrappp

#71 Post by brrrappp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:19 am

I enjoyed all the tales in this thread. It's a good read.
I live in a college town and 10 years ago my RZ used to turn heads and get thumbs-up everywhere.
Today, none of those kids have a clue. They all drive scooters and mopeds with pipes that sound like an extended fart!
One kid at the corner store asked me "how big is the power-band?"
I used to enjoy cruising the strip at Hampton Beach. Occasionally girls would just come up and swing a leg over the back and say lets ride! The good old days!
Last time I parked the bike at the beach, someone tried to peel the Kenny Roberts decal off the fairing. I will NEVER let the bike out of my sight again.

Dgorms

#72 Post by Dgorms » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:39 pm

I can't go anywhere on my 72 DS7 without allowing time to b.s. with the gray haired fella's (like me)

Forzfed

#73 Post by Forzfed » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Dgorms wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:39 pm I can't go anywhere on my 72 DS7 without allowing time to b.s. with the gray haired fella's (like me)
Nice! My buddy bought a DS7 a little over a year ago from the original owner. It has a little over 4000 miles on it.
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

Yellow and Black RZ

#74 Post by Yellow and Black RZ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:43 am

When I lived in California there was nothing like lane splitting to the front with smoke percolating out of the exhaust. Da-ding ding ding.. People were elated, perplexed or thought something was wrong with the bike.
'85 RRZ350 - Hacked.

Marrcel

#75 Post by Marrcel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 pm

I noticed that horses and pedestriants are not used to the sound of a 2strokes.
Sometimes i have to stop to prevent horses jumping. I saved some jockeys from a landing in a ditch. This is especialy after the winter.