Vintage Kenny Roberts race video.

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Vintage Kenny Roberts race video.

#1 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:09 am

The good folks @SouP have loaded this great video of the 84 Laguna Seca FI and Superbike races. Their VHS tape was in poor condition so before they lost it now its here on You Tube to enjoy. This is a really fun video showcasing the crowd pleasing antics of these riders and their wheelstanding vintage 2 stroke machines.

https://youtu.be/poQH5QsZvnk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes..its just a small world! Funny how things randomly work out?

I was at this very race w my uncle. Do you think it influenced my decision to buy a RZ when they came out the next year...you bet it did!

On another occasion Friends & I met and partied w Fred Merkel..lol,

I've met 2 of the gentelmen responsible for fabrication and making sure that YZR ran as good as it did. Kel Curruthers works over @ Chapparel Cycles. And recently spent a good 6 hrs at the home/shop of the other Roberts crew member & with any luck will be doing some moderate work on my spare chassis/ roller after he finishes a friends machines.

Small world indeed! Its almost as if theres no place on earth other than California...lol Man O'Man..Good times they were!

Videos like this..on a big screen are perfect for great memories..a virtual time machine.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Re: Vintage Kenny Roberts race video.

#2 Post by LC Cnd » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:53 am

Love how Roberts repairs his bike by kicking it back together, on the fly, while stuck in 3rd place. Are such repairs unique to 2 strokes - don't know. The ending was phenomenal. Thx for posting a highly entertaining race.

Questo vecchio rz

#3 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:40 pm

LC Cnd wrote:Love how Roberts repairs his bike by kicking it back together, on the fly, while stuck in 3rd place. Are such repairs unique to 2 strokes - don't know. The ending was phenomenal. Thx for posting a highly entertaining race.
Yep he just dealt w it! & dropped back, kicked it back into shape then got on with it.. old school. You didn't see Kenny Roberts going around crying and whining like Casey Moaner did in his corkscrew incident. And Roberts was actually rammed and his bike was damaged.. :smt029
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Zombie

#4 Post by Zombie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Those thing are like rockets with wheels! Love it! :smt003

RuZty
-----
-----

#5 Post by RuZty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:47 pm

Amazing how much time they spent with the front wheel in the air and still ran 100mph laps. I know the addition in '88 is the slowest corner on the track but thats about the same average speed they run now.

2wheeldrift

#6 Post by 2wheeldrift » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks for posting this!!!

squish

#7 Post by squish » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 am

The announcers were making me laugh. You could tell Mike Spenser's comments were given to him on paper with big letters. They were pulling the string out of his back when it was time for him to say something. No offense to the ex-racer!