Boots and gauntlets - opinion(s) pls.

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Boots and gauntlets - opinion(s) pls.

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 am

#1 - Went to several bike shops today hunting for a pair of sport bike water proof bike boots. Tried on AlpineStar Roam 1s ($280) & Grand Torinos ($330). Good fit due to their width but wondered if they are price point worth it. Noted the AlpineStars tried were manufactured in 2013 (new old stock?). Ck'd on line, after looking at the Roam 1's, & they are no longer available (hmm). The manufacture date should have been a clue but is boot date of manufacture as critical as on a helmet? Probably not. Still I thought the stock was a bit aged. Hence guess the sale price - if a sale. Brought along my leather Gericke pants, I got last season, to try with the boots for fit. Ist set of such pants I ever owned so I'm bit a a newbie figuring out how the pant/ boot fit works. Purchased the leathers thinking they are better than denim if I go airbourne. The only way the Gerickes would fit was inside the boots - if that's the correct way. I wondered - what if I ride thru an unexpected down pour - wouldn't water funnel pasted the boot tops and pool at my toes considering the sitting position on an naked RD or RZ. Seems logical that's what would happen. Sat on a new CBR & confirmed it so. It been raining a wee bit on the West Coast lately; hence the concern. My server stated that's how all sport bke boots fit - pants on the inside. Really? I thought perhaps widening the bottom of my pants, to fit over the boots, would be a solution. That said, I did liked how the AlpineStars shin guards mated up with the Gericke pant shin gaurds with the pants inside the boots. Reminded me of hockey gear. Is my idea of having the bottom of the pant cuffs over the boots an non-existant standard? Are there boots better than the AlpineStars that would fit an E shoe width?
#2 - Tried on four pairs of gauntlets and found most of them have somewhat thin widthed /restricted cuffs to go past the leather jacket cuffs (again for a Gericke). There was one set of all leather old school gloves, on the rack, which stretched alsmost 4" / 7 cms past my wrist. They worked best but was hoping for something gortex for wet or warm days. Found a nice pair of Joe Rockets (did not realize they r Cnd'ian) but they were not long enought to cover off the jacket cuffs again in case of rain. Thinking I might have to buy 2 sets of gloves; shorties for warm days, longs for rain. Is there must be another solution about the gloves. Ck'd the Isle of Man TT images to see how riders were their leathers with boots - found riders wore their pants in or out of their boots.
So, what's best for the public roads we travel regarding boots and gloves? Ya, ya I'm ranting but learning bike apparel ain't that simple . Thx in advance.

T.RexRacing

Re: Boots and gauntlets - opinion(s) pls.

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Leather-regardless of treatment-is a poor choice for all weather use. Carry rain gear or purchase some textile gear for foul weather.

Personally I wear leather (one piece) for comfort and Aerostich Darien for daily use. I like the weather resistance and the fact if it starts raining I don't have to stop and get wet putting on rain gear.

Boots? Ironically I prefer leather. Don't like GoreTex liners 'cause they get dirty and stop breathing well making my feet sweat. Can't clean them either. I use Nikwax waterproofing and it gives me about an hour before dampness seeps in. I'm going to get a pair of Gasolina boots. I also wear compression stockings 'cause of poor circulation (f'king smoking) and have thick calves they add thickness so the custom nature of the boots allows for some tailoring. Not to miss the price kicks ass for what they deliver. Bates Fastlane boots are an option too. A little more expensive but also custom made to fit.

I average 'round 20K miles a year so the above is refined over time for me 'cause I know what to expect. It's just what works for me and something for you to look at. Spend the money on good gear as the cheaper stuff will neither protect or endure use. have fun.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#3 Post by LC Cnd » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Rain gear - check. Probably find a one piece that I can fit in my back pack that fold up fanny pack size. Good investment. The Bates look intriguing price wise. So, what have you got for gloves? Suspect not leather ones.

T.RexRacing

#4 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Didn't say I don't wear it just the fact it's a crappy choice for foul weather. Gloves and boots wet slower when treated properly and dry faster when wet. My size 50 US one piece suit is heavy when dry. Seems like it weighs more than I do when wet and takes a week to fully dry. Then there's the cleaning and retreating which is quite a chore.

Warm weather I wear Moose Sahara MX gloves. Cooler weather depends on temperature. Down to 40*F MSR Cold Pro and below that Widder electric gloves. They are leather treated with NikWax Glove Proof. If yer gonna wear leather get familiar with NikWax products. Water based and effective as anything else w/o causing thread rot/tear like the older stuff like mink oil.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

2smoke

#5 Post by 2smoke » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:04 pm

For me, only leather has enough flex for boots and gloves.
Flex=comfort.
Wet leather gloves suck big time. I haven't found a way around that. :smt012
I love my textile jacket. Light and convertible for the temperature.
So I suggest leather touring boots and leather gloves with some airflow.
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

evan_calgary

#6 Post by evan_calgary » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:38 pm

Go for a 2-piece rainsuit. The 1-piece is much harder to get on when you have to stop on the side of the road. They double as wind protection in the cooler days as well. Leather is only way to go for me and always on the inside of boots and gloves. Gloves come down to personal preference on fit. I loved the Held Phantoms but they didn't fit my hands. Knox and RS Taichi gloves fit me well so I run them. I am also over in Ab and ride through more questionable weather than most, definitely more than the Cali folks.

I personally won't buy any more Astars products. Their top of the line race boots don't last well (zippers and leather) and unimpressed with most of their stuff. Seems like a pile of the funds go to promotion versus the product.

If you want some good stuff get your leather in Kangaroo.

T.RexRacing

#7 Post by T.RexRacing » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:05 am

Re: Astars/ect. junk
I'm so tired of being force fed garbage with a big name attached. I'm willing to pay for a good product but that seems to be more difficult as time goes on. Profit is not a dirty word. But greed is. Trading on a past of quality using the name pasted to a POS pisses me off to no end.
Salvador Dali

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#8 Post by LC Cnd » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:11 am

So, steering away fm Astars product but found Rukka Imatra Gore-Tex Gloves. Pricey but appear to be a standup product and like the wide/long adjustable cuffs. Just not knowledgable about Rukka - European origin it appears & can't say I'd find it in Canada - State side yes. Ah, K found them - Finland. The land of Nokia tires - bought some this winter. Awsome. Not sure about the bike gear yet. Any comments from Europe on their gear?

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#9 Post by two-stroke-brit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 pm

i had a one piece Rukka rain siut in the ninety's when i lived and commuted daily in and around London UK .
i would by one again but no intention of every getting wet again on a motorcycle.
might by one if i plan to do a big out of state road trip.
cheers mark
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

MK

#10 Post by MK » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm

I use textile stuff with insulation and Gore Tex for anything under 15 deg C
High-end leather with full protection gear for summer.
Dunno if they sell in Canada, but that's kind of gold standard over here: http://www.schwabenleder.de/hornet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (mine had its maiden voyage today...)

If you have a tibia protector you may find it hard to find boots that allow inside wear.
Alpinestars SMX-4/5/6 would be a priceworthy pick (but I prefer protection over gore tex ...)
Bye
Martin

Zombie

#11 Post by Zombie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:31 am

I would just to find a manufacturer who makes size 15 MX boots. My old ones are starting to deteriorate, and Id like something better quality than the ones Ive got. (They were a gft and are from Moose racing)

-Z

evan_calgary

#12 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:18 am

About to contradict myself here. Astars dirt bike stuff is pretty darn good. My MX boots have been awesome. Not a fan of their street stuff though.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#13 Post by two-stroke-brit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 pm

evan_calgary wrote:About to contradict myself here. Astars dirt bike stuff is pretty darn good. My MX boots have been awesome. Not a fan of their street stuff though.
I am a big fan of alpine stars boots.
i have off road enduro boots (tech 1) 2 months old
and street boots 5 years old now ,still great.
your millage may vary
mark
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#14 Post by LC Cnd » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Decided on the Dainese nighthawk d1. Next is gautlets.

T.RexRacing

#15 Post by T.RexRacing » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Please post up your reviews.
Salvador Dali