Wicked Motorsports HP pipe purchase

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

R-Oil

Re: Wicked Motorsports HP pipe purchase

#31 Post by R-Oil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:49 pm

I bought a brand new Wicked 421 kit from a forum member long time a go. Took the crankshaft to my Yamarilla 421 (not started yet) and find the crank wont spin without force from a spanner :( The problem is the labyrinth seal)
The other parts Athena cylinders,wiseco pistons,wicked head with thermostat,crossover intake and more was fitted to my RD/RZ 350 with a +4mm crank from TTS in Australia. Roger says the Keihin PJ 34 carbs was prejetted for this kit but the needle,main,pilot and throttle was the same size from sudcos PJ 34 list. When I sorted the jetting the bike runs were good with power wheelies at third gear :)
Not so many kilometres after the engine was braked in, I feel something strange on my left leg and find out that the cylinder head has cracked and the leg wet from cooling water. I was lucky because there was no signs of nipped pistons. I contacted Roger and send him some pictures of the cracked heads and he promise me to send a new head. After 2 months I contacted him again and tell him the season is very short in Sweden and want my head now ! I had the same head fitted to my Yamarilla 421 so I replaced that head from that bike and fitted to my RD/RZ 421 and 2 weeks later and 50 yards from the spot the head cracked it was time for the inserts to break :( after all this shit my friend ( machinist ) look at the broken parts and say WTF the o-ring grooves is machined round instead of square so the orings cant expand in the grooves and break the parts. Roger sent me a new head for free but that one was also machined wrong. I tell him about the other head and he say that is the Gen 2 and have no problem. He machined four new inserts/domes and charge me but the o-rings was free :(
I have bought a lot of stuff from this prick and all is REAL SHIT !
I have problem to load up pictures here but all 3 heads from Wicked have round o-ring groves.
All inserts have round o-ring groves.
Reedblocks have screws to reed pethals 5 mm up in the inlet ( looks like Piranha)
Crossover mismatch with intake rubber and reedblocks.
Welds to the pipes ar like the photos in the thread.
Welds and welding thread inside the stingers.
Fuel cap leaking so much so I can't brake or accelerate.
There is more to write about but I'm finished with that company.
I'm sorry for my bad English but this is my way to say AVOID WICKED ATV.

motosapien

#32 Post by motosapien » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for review! connect on https://www.facebook.com/groups/616874758355349/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
R-Oil wrote:I bought a brand new Wicked 421 kit from a forum member long time a go. Took the crankshaft to my Yamarilla 421 (not started yet) and find the crank wont spin without force from a spanner :( The problem is the labyrinth seal)
The other parts Athena cylinders,wiseco pistons,wicked head with thermostat,crossover intake and more was fitted to my RD/RZ 350 with a +4mm crank from TTS in Australia. Roger says the Keihin PJ 34 carbs was prejetted for this kit but the needle,main,pilot and throttle was the same size from sudcos PJ 34 list. When I sorted the jetting the bike runs were good with power wheelies at third gear :)
Not so many kilometres after the engine was braked in, I feel something strange on my left leg and find out that the cylinder head has cracked and the leg wet from cooling water. I was lucky because there was no signs of nipped pistons. I contacted Roger and send him some pictures of the cracked heads and he promise me to send a new head. After 2 months I contacted him again and tell him the season is very short in Sweden and want my head now ! I had the same head fitted to my Yamarilla 421 so I replaced that head from that bike and fitted to my RD/RZ 421 and 2 weeks later and 50 yards from the spot the head cracked it was time for the inserts to break :( after all this shit my friend ( machinist ) look at the broken parts and say WTF the o-ring grooves is machined round instead of square so the orings cant expand in the grooves and break the parts. Roger sent me a new head for free but that one was also machined wrong. I tell him about the other head and he say that is the Gen 2 and have no problem. He machined four new inserts/domes and charge me but the o-rings was free :(
I have bought a lot of stuff from this prick and all is REAL SHIT !
I have problem to load up pictures here but all 3 heads from Wicked have round o-ring groves.
All inserts have round o-ring groves.
Reedblocks have screws to reed pethals 5 mm up in the inlet ( looks like Piranha)
Crossover mismatch with intake rubber and reedblocks.
Welds to the pipes ar like the photos in the thread.
Welds and welding thread inside the stingers.
Fuel cap leaking so much so I can't brake or accelerate.
There is more to write about but I'm finished with that company.
I'm sorry for my bad English but this is my way to say AVOID WICKED ATV.
2>4

Headcoats

#33 Post by Headcoats » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Wow that is a lot of money thrown down the drain
I too have an unusable billet head from him but I keep saying to myself , it may be salvageable to stop me getting really pissed off

When I came on here a few years back to confront Roger, I really felt like I was swimming against the tide but the chickens are coming home to roost now !
Cryin' In The Beer Of A Drunk Man

Questo vecchio rz

#34 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:03 pm

hondaror wrote:That's great, but many have had great service, and great product from him.
I agree, As mentioned previously, I have 1st hand knowledge of 4 people running the heads and other parts too...some for 3-4 years, with no issues at all.

I feel some of this thread is being fueled yo some degree by a 5-7 years old feud..between one member and Wicked.......which even the owner of this site, stated that it not be taken any further nor tolerated.

Technically speaking I could be considered biased, as stated above and in my previous archived "Old" posts myself friends & others have met him, dealt with him been treated to his hospitality, and have had nothing but a satisfactory experience, At least dozen or more forum members have bought complete motors, Athena kits or engine components from him, with no reported issues, in addition I've viewed & read about his parts in RZ /Banshee based projects all over the world as well. UK,Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Columbia,UAE etc..

I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy parts or have him build a motor ( but not the Fugly pipes though)...lol :smt005 Those I must admit...needed help & reasons as to why aren't privy to us.

As to why this topic originator, was not able to speak with the owners of Wicked and work it out, also remains unknown to all of us.

I'm certainly not going to Tar & feather a friend of our 2 stroke community & to many members of this forum, unless I had total knowledge from each side, in this case we don't, we're only hearing one side, so at this point I feel it should be left to them to work out between themselves, not in a public forum, where one cannot defend himself nor his reputation,.....
which over the past 15 years the good has far outweighd the bad.

I agree that on defective /damaged parts, that arrangements need to be made between seller and buyer to whatever resolution they come up with.

Just sayin ..how I see it. (Your results may vary). :smt002
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

2smoke

#35 Post by 2smoke » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:54 pm

He sells parts that simply don't fit. Other parts that are china quality.
Doesn't make things right. Wont exchange/refund.
Not someone to give your hard earned dollars to.
Its that simple.
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

T.RexRacing

#36 Post by T.RexRacing » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:06 pm

You guys don't let the facts confuse ya. By all means give him your money. Mine will be spent elsewhere.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

hondaror

#37 Post by hondaror » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:25 am

I'm a cheap bugger. I think his prices are way out. Too expensive to even gamble on. That's just how I view it. The bad reviews are enough to keep me away. I'm not a fan of big bore RZs either. Big gains at a loss. Not the same engine as the stock screamer.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

Smoker

#38 Post by Smoker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:47 pm

I was just digging out the porting specs for my last engine build. Roger did the porting and assembled the engine. Was just reflecting, and thought I should put my 2 cents in here.

Roger is a friendly, knowledgable guy. I've known him for several years now, and have chilled with him at his shop and at bike shows.

Roger is no genius, just a regular biker dude. His work can be great, or marginal, depending on his experience. Part of the reason his shop does so well is because Roger isn't afraid to try new things. Sometimes they work out well, sometimes not.

I haven't been happy with all of Roger's parts and service, but for the most part it's been very good. I know from personal experience that Roger isn't out to rip anyone off- and he's definetly trying to do a good job.

I know that sometimes customers like me get caught in his learning curve, but it's probably the same as any business- parts and service will get better over time. Keep in mind how few people are developing cool new parts for these old bikes.

I'm still a customer of Wicked Motorsports.

Of course, buyer beware. :smt023

Sitnlow4life

#39 Post by Sitnlow4life » Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Questo vecchio rz wrote:
hondaror wrote:That's great, but many have had great service, and great product from him.
I feel some of this thread is being fueled yo some degree by a 5-7 years old feud..between one member and Wicked.......which even the owner of this site, stated that it not be taken any further nor tolerated.

As to why this topic originator, was not able to speak with the owners of Wicked and work it out, also remains unknown to all of us.

I'm certainly not going to Tar & feather a friend of our 2 stroke community & to many members of this forum, unless I had total knowledge from each side, in this case we don't, we're only hearing one side, so at this point I feel it should be left to them to work out between themselves, not in a public forum, where one cannot defend himself nor his reputation,.....

Just sayin ..how I see it. (Your results may vary). :smt002
I can post screenshots of the entire conversation that took place on Facebook messenger , since that is how he prefers to conduct business.

Then you can certainly see "both sides of the story"
1990 RZ350 with Toomey Pipes and Vforce Reeds

Questo vecchio rz

#40 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue May 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Hey it is what it is, Some of us will buy from him (including me) and others will not. I've met him and like him and trust him, so far no harm no foul to me nor any if the people I know who have his parts and service. He's been real helpful and honest, I even called about my Banshee, he walked me through some steps..for a 1/2 hr on the phone.
There's a 4mm stroker in the future for my desert racer. He didn't even know whom I was.

Roger and company at Wicked are making more new custom parts for RZs than anyone else in the world that I know if. His bikes and his vendor booth at the 2 stroke extravaganza last weekend,showcased his RZ with all his goodies in them. Gotta say the RZ looked really damn good, it's a rolling catalog, that delivered darn near close to 80 h.p.
Out of all the 2 stroke/ motorcycle shops I've ever been in since 1984, He's right up there with some if the best, He's in good Company with Gary at Spec 2, Brian Turfrey, Doug at the old Moto Carrera, I've had the best knowledge and hospitality from these guys. Sure others have bitched about some things, maybe founded...but I and others I know been treated very good.
Hopefully everything goes well for all in the future, no matter whom services they use.
Good luck and times to all and there 30-40 year old project bikes!!!
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

giron

#41 Post by giron » Wed May 02, 2018 11:25 am

The only time I send Wicked an email was looking for junk cylinders. He said he din't have any. Shall we see it from another side. When you deviate from a stock internal motor. Are you building a hand grenade? That's what we use to call hotrod VW's You want to go fast get a 911. All the years with RD350 and 400. I always ask the builders to match the ports. One step bigger on the carbs and pipes. My RZ350 only has carburetors and pipes. My TZR350 3MA (getting build now) when is the time for the motor it won't be a hand grenade.
1991 3MATZR250SP
!993 3XVTZR250SP
1996 RGV250(Lucky Strike)
1994 MC28SP
1995 MC28SP
1996 MC28SP
1985 RG500(Walter Wolfe)
1984 IT490
1985 RZV500R
1985 NS400R
1985 NS400R
1997 VFR750
1992 FZR1000
RGV400
TZR500
TZR350
1990 RZ350
1971 Porsche911S

evan_calgary

#42 Post by evan_calgary » Wed May 02, 2018 1:28 pm

There are so many poor experience stories out there I wouldn't risk a dollar with him. There are plenty of 2-stroke builders making stroker and big bore motors I don't know why you would pay premium dollars for poor and slow service wiht parts that likely won't work. These are old motors at this point. He is NOT doing anything revolutionary. I do have to say that Smoker's comments do greatly temped my opinion as I consider his a credible dude. The people who have had issue with Wicked aren't locked in some long term feud. Be careful and be warned...

Headcoats

#43 Post by Headcoats » Wed May 02, 2018 5:09 pm

I would still like my money back and then I may forgive him , Learning curve and all that

I don't have a pot to piss in at the best of times and really went out on a limb buying my go faster goodies

Still being treated for burns to my fingers several years on !
Cryin' In The Beer Of A Drunk Man

JonW

#44 Post by JonW » Wed May 02, 2018 6:20 pm

I like Smokers post here, its level headed and therefore sadly rare on forums these days. Im unsure of what Giron is saying (if anything?) but I think we hear what most of the others feel, they were unhappy.

Me? Ive no bad words to say about Roger, Ive met him a bunch of times and always have bought parts from him. Is he perfect? no hes a human being. What he is, is a nice guy that means well. Not all his parts are made by him and mistakes do happen, its life etc. What he has done is made some lovely CNC parts for us, 'revolutionary' is an interesting word to see used here and while many parts are banshee focused he has made us some dedicated RZ parts that have certainly not been made by anyone else before; YPVS logo'd cool head and gear lever spring to mind.

Not every customer of any business will leave feeling loved, IME that can sometimes be a factor of both parties reaction to an issue/problem, it takes two to argue etc. Should the next deal for another customer be tarred by another's experience? We all differ on our experiences. Ive had some terrible dealings with some businesses over the years but that wont stop thousands of others buying their stuff (and being happy) and nor should this thread for Wicked. As usual with anything like this, YMMV.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

giron

#45 Post by giron » Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 pm

I'm not saying anything negative about Wicked. I never dealt with him. All I'm saying is that when you deviate from a stock motor. You are building a hand grenade. You loose a certain amount of reliability. Again I have nothing negative to say about Roger? I never dealt nor met him. I'm neutral.
1991 3MATZR250SP
!993 3XVTZR250SP
1996 RGV250(Lucky Strike)
1994 MC28SP
1995 MC28SP
1996 MC28SP
1985 RG500(Walter Wolfe)
1984 IT490
1985 RZV500R
1985 NS400R
1985 NS400R
1997 VFR750