How fast is/was your stock RZ350?

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Forzfed

Re: How fast is/was your stock RZ350?

#16 Post by Forzfed » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:03 pm

hondaror wrote:Riding a small bike fast, makes a way better rider. I've done enough racing to have good 2 stroke feel when slipping the clutch on a launch. I think I might surprise Peter next year when I drag his FZ750.
There is no clutch dump when launching a 2 stroke. Slip, slip, slip....and yes, the front wheel always comes up some, unless you're in loose gravel or dirt.
You are absolutely correct on the slipping of the clutch especially with a 2 stroke. At the drag strip it is a good idea to slightly slip the clutch unless you can do a slow launch. Four years ago when I was at the drag strip a guy on a Harley Sportster dumped his clutch and the bike flipped right over and landed on the seat, good thing it flew out from under his legs. I guess some people don't realize they use glue at the starting line.

The little RZ can still dominate around corners against a big cc bike especially if they don't have a slipper clutch!
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

Questo vecchio rz

#17 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 pm

I see where some of ya are coming from, And would agree for a street bike yes there's mandatory clutch slip, when...attempting a drag racing launch.

If one attempting a serious effort at drag racing for a low E.T. particularly on bikes with a wheelie bar assembly...it's all about screaming throttle , DUMP the clutch then GO time!

https://youtu.be/-GpigVYT1mo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried Gary's wheelie bar and strut kit, but my RZ I feel didn't have the power to really benefit from it, and I couldn't get the RZ to leave at full throttle without weaving real bad or wheelspin from my dumbass use of a 130 roadrace slick. I was young and didn't know how to set up the chassis for a weekend at the drags as it was often my daily street bike as well, but a mid 11 sec range was a quick RZ350 back in 1986-1988
With today's lock up clutches, and just a average big bore cylinder kit/crank a deep 10 second RZ is a easy recipe..Sure would would be alot of fun.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

T.RexRacing

#18 Post by T.RexRacing » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 pm

In the early '90s I rode a ProDrag Sportster. 97 Cubic Inches,2 1/4" carb,no trans just a jackshaft and slipper clutch. All fueled by 90% (max) nitromethane/methanol mix. Pull through the water,set the front brake lock,burn the tire for a few seconds for some heat. Stage,pull clutch/trip 2 step and hold WFO. Dump the clutch just as the third yellow blinked and hang on. All the while blinking yer eyes to clear the tears from the fumes. Wasn't all that quick (mid 8s on a good day) really but the violence of the bike was consuming. It's took a minute or so sitting at the big end waiting for the ride back for reality to return. And I got paid to ride it.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Forzfed

#19 Post by Forzfed » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:27 am

T.RexRacing wrote:In the early '90s I rode a ProDrag Sportster. 97 Cubic Inches,2 1/4" carb,no trans just a jackshaft and slipper clutch. All fueled by 90% (max) nitromethane/methanol mix. Pull through the water,set the front brake lock,burn the tire for a few seconds for some heat. Stage,pull clutch/trip 2 step and hold WFO. Dump the clutch just as the third yellow blinked and hang on. All the while blinking yer eyes to clear the tears from the fumes. Wasn't all that quick (mid 8s on a good day) really but the violence of the bike was consuming. It's took a minute or so sitting at the big end waiting for the ride back for reality to return. And I got paid to ride it.
Now that is cool! :smt023 I remember being at the drag strip when there was a crazy cross wind. There was a guy in a similar bike going down the track leaned over at a 45' angle the whole run. I kept thinking how crazy that was.
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

evan_calgary

#20 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Forzfed wrote:I'm getting my race motor for my car rebuilt and one of the machinist had a few RZ's and we started chatting. He bought a brand new 85 and said it would do 200 km/hr all day long. He bought a brand new 90 RZ and it would not go as fast but was quicker. This sounded spot on to me. I have old magazine where they radarred an 85 at 125mph in Ontario which doesn't have the best climate for performance so I thought my radar run at 128 mph was pretty bang on. My 85 would pull the wheels off the ground in the first three gears bone stock. My 86 bone stock on occasions would pull the front tire off the ground. It's still a fun bike but needs more power!
Sounds like another case of 'back in the day' syndrome. No way you were 'pulling wheels off the ground in first three gears bone stock'. Not true. No way. Heavily modified are still a challenge to do this. You are also at elevation. The 86 has a stronger motor and the same gearing. This is also not true.

Forzfed

#21 Post by Forzfed » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 pm

evan_calgary wrote:Sounds like another case of 'back in the day' syndrome. No way you were 'pulling wheels off the ground in first three gears bone stock'. Not true. No way. Heavily modified are still a challenge to do this. You are also at elevation. The 86 has a stronger motor and the same gearing. This is also not true.
I am use to people like you so I really don't care what you have to say. With a stock setup on my car and major tuning I ran 0.7 sec faster in the quarter than the next fastest car like mine trying to do the same. And yes I am proud of that and many people in this city can vouch for me on that. So I guess I'm bullshitting about that to but yet I get calls from all the local speed shops when they need help with that specific car.

No two bikes or cars that are the same will perform exact it just doesn't happen!! The 86 does have a stronger motor but it was also plagued with issues I have a Cycle Canada Magazine in the day that said the old 85 they had performed better than the 86. They also mentioned this was the early 86 models. I probably got the lemon, that is life! IT HAPPENS!

Years ago I tuned a buddy's car for him before the drag strip. He was trapping 112mph in the 1/4 and one of the group took exception to the amount of fuel pressure I set it at saying it was way too high. They turned it down and the car trapped 108mph a loss of approximately 40 rwhp, I tune the car to what it likes not what everyone says it should like.

I really don't know what your malfunction is but you sure like to give people a hard time and are probably the reason people leave this site. Your one of these people that just can't except things because you think you are always right! Reminds of something a buddy of mine told me. He has a PHD in Electrical Engineering and developed a DC transformer, his advisor at the time was telling him it would never work and this was a guy that has no background in the field. In the end he proved him wrong by demonstrating his invention and reminded him of what he said.

I'm not here to start a fight so I really don't know what your problem is? Guys have taken some of the videos of my car at the track and posted them on YouTube and I never responded at all but the people leaving comments sounded just like you! The faster person wins the race! Some people can't except that you can make a 6 cylinder car go crazy fast! Technology changes both in tuning and hardware which is good because otherwise we would still be driving Model T's. Didn't some moron say we would never have direct injection in a car?
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

evan_calgary

#22 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Lol. Funny! Just get sick of the old school mentality of 'Wheelies all over the place'. Having ridden many of these bikes (including many of the fastest of the fastest in the day) it gets annoying hearing these bs claims. Its akin to saying you can keep up with a modern sport bike!

I don't know everything thus why lots of good info is found on the forum. I even recently made the mistake of starting an oil thread! A know it all certainly wouldn't make that one now would they? :P

RZ is a fun bike. It is not fast by any means of motorcycle terms.

Your mechanical PhD example has zero relevance here. Apples and transformers.

RZ=fun.

The stock bike leaves a lot to be desired. 200kph give or take is certainly the max. from a stock machine.

T.RexRacing

#23 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 pm

The RZ accelerates hard in the lower 4 gears and pulls well in the remaining two. It's nimble and stable at sane speeds. No it's not as fast as modern bikes but few of it's era will run from it. That makes it fast in comparison with it's peers.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

evan_calgary

#24 Post by evan_calgary » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 am

There is a method behind my supposed madness.

This forum and most of the other 2 stroke forums is dying a slow death. Most i'm sure have noticed posting volumes are down considerably.

I am one of the younger members by far here. Average age is what? 50 I would suspect. Not calling anyone old, just from a demographics standpoint this is the case. Motorcycle riding trails off from there.

If I were considering a motorcycle I would most definitely hit up some forums. Find pitfalls and other rider opinions.

Selling the RZ as a 'fast' bike that can 'wheelie through 3 gears' would be a serious disappointment to me after a purchase. Thus you end up spreading disinterest due to negative opinions. Certainly the RZ is a pile of fun but the sales point is entirely wrong.

These are fun motorcycles you can enjoy without losing your license. This is one of the primary detractors I see in modern sport bikes and motorcycles. The sport bike segment is shrinking, this, along with riding position are major reasons.

The RZ should be billed and represented as what it is; a supremely fun and exciting motorcycle. One you don't see everyday and something you can have a great day out on. Fast? Certainly not slow. Fun? The primary selling factor for me.

The time comes when the hobby is continued by the next generation. Usually it is discovered they aren't coming too late. I would rather not see the RZ fall this way and neither should members here (from a pricing and hobbiest side).

Heck, you might even be able to get some of the hipsters interested. :P

hondaror

#25 Post by hondaror » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:52 am

Evan, you are wrong here, about the wheelies. On a drag launch with the RZ, it is not uncommon to wheelie through 3 gears while slipping the clutch. Been there, done that. More than a few times.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

hablair

#26 Post by hablair » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:37 am

Don't really agree with the wheelie-ing thing

I just ride mine to enjoy it nothing more nothing less, and keep them on the road

I have to admit its good fun riding round the outside of Harleys on a roundabout though and watching other "younger" riders look at your bike wondering what the thing is that went passed them

Questo vecchio rz

#27 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:16 pm

For many...Old school is the only school, I appreciate the new bikes..but have Zero interest in buying one. And if I did...the bikes Id buy would be top shelf at 25k -30k plus. Hell at the local dealer a brand new GSXR1000 is 20k. That takes "all the fun" out if it for me...especially when taken into consideration American wages in reality have not increased since 1999..
The new bikes look all the same as well. :smt015

Nostalgia and memories...keep us happy, young at heart and ..it's the most powerful emotion outside of love, :smt049 and frankly memories and love are wound around each other, inseparable!

As far as wheelies go , a stock RZ will wheelie in 1st or 2nd ..that's my very 1st recollection of these bikes as I rode out of the dealer & down the street. 10 minutes later ...you guessed it my 1st ticket! (Doing a wheelie, exibition of speed violation) the 1st of many thanks you :smt038

In my case I could land a hop when shifting into 3rd with a shimmed clutch spring stack,and always with the 15 tooth counter it would float the front..never tried to stand up them up from 3rd,? never thought about trying?

The Banshee will go vertical & flip in 1st 2nd or 3rd with simply a twist of the wrist.

I'm assuming this is "Martin" MK here doing his thing!

https://youtu.be/m8jbL0MIzz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As many of you, I could do this easily, but not quite as good.

Martin's RZ as set up, I'm willing to bet can hang with many, many a new machine on his tracks, likely beating many new bikes that cost 4-5 x more.

In it's day, The RZ was all that, it beat down all kinds of bike in acceleration.it is what it is a small bore 347cc twin...it just happened to kick ass in the 1st few gears or in a canyon.
I think TRex has said his lil RZ strikes fear into many a squid on larger bikes on his twisty mtn highways.

Read the motorcycle classics review of Jamie James Custom RZ, with 120 front and a 170 rear...the author of the article stated that the R1 Superbike couldn't exactly lose the lil breathed on RZ..that's good enough for me.

I see both sides if " rise colored spectacle" stories...but its all good., Yes sometimes stories can get way exaggerated like beating modern 15000 rpm 600s , or 200 mph stories on Busas...etc..but it's all good.

I once said my RZ beat Kawasaki 500 & 750 triples..some "old timers" :smt001 Cried foul said I was FOS...but just go back and read any road test and average 1/4 mile times and it's all there in black n white. Same factual stories apply to well set up TZ250s, RS250 Hondas..they would easily reel in and wipe the floor with a standard production racer GSXR 1100...good times indeed.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

RuZty
-----
-----

#28 Post by RuZty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 pm

I find that the resurgence in smaller bikes has increased interest. The smaller twin cylinder Ninjas and CBRs are decent starter bikes but are heavier and down on power to an RZ. I get a surprising number of younger riders asking me about my bike because they are interested in something similar in size and insurance but more fun, and it fits the bill.

T.RexRacing

#29 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 pm

The newer small models are entry level bikes. The RZ was a small bore sport model. They don't have the nerve to introduce a small bore sporter any more. That's not to say I don't like seeing some small bore bikes in the lineup it's just not quite the same.

The RZ is unique in the US market as we never saw the RG or KR. I'd love to see the return of small bore sports bikes. Even the four strokes a la CBR250RR H*nda are rare here. The CB-1 H*nda was a cool bike too. We're just hooked on the bigger is better and motorcycles are toys thing. The rest of the world sees bikes a little different than we do,as transportation.

If the KTM clean two stroke technology results in a street going bike I'll consider it. Having ridden the Katoom RC390 it's just not the same. A fun ride but lacking the excitement of a two stroke power delivery. Too sanitary and bland,politically correct motorcycling if you will. Bring back the big midrange hit of a small bore smoker even if it lacks the smoke. And I'll line up to buy one. That's what the RZ has in spades. The rush of small bore engine coming on the pipe. Fuck yeah.
Salvador Dali

75RD350rider

#30 Post by 75RD350rider » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Amen to that T-Rex.
Wheelies are fun. My RZ will pick the front wheel up consistently in 1st and 2nd without slipping the clutch. It is not stock but lightly modified and my gearing is 16-40. 3rd never for me. I love mine and ride it more than my 75 RD350 and.my H2750 Triple combined...
https://youtu.be/i1bAgo9S9Qk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a tuning run when I was still dialing in the VM 30s.
Last edited by 75RD350rider on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love the smell of Blue Marble in the morning!
Tim Steele in Front Royal, VA