Wankle bikes sound like 2stokes...

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Wankle bikes sound like 2stokes...

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:21 am

Was over in Germany last mth and saw one of the 1st bikes in the vid. Took a bunch of photos of TZs, Racing RD etc. Will try and down load.
The Norton '91 twin Wankle reminds me of a cross between a wankle and a two stroke. Smoke about as much. Suspect gobbs of torque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5U-brw-S8U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.RexRacing

Re: Wankle bikes sound like 2stokes...

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:37 am

No valves impeding flow. Opened/closed by the rotor just like a smoker. And they are smoooooth. Emissions and heat issues killed any real development in 25 years. Always wondered why no one ever tried expansion chambers on them??????
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

RuZty
-----
-----

#3 Post by RuZty » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:48 am

I had the Norton BSB bike as a ringtone, it sounded like a 2 stroke top fueler, very crisp. I drove a 12A RX-7 for quite a while and loved it, there isn't a lot moving in there and the rotors are only doing 1/3 of the output shaft speed. They had very heavy flywheels from the factory but revved fast with an aftermarket one that was nearly half the weight.

Rotron build wankel drone engines, with other applications being developed, this one would be fun to try in a light weight bike; http://www.rotronuav.com/engines/rt-600#ancillaries

An interesting modern experiment along the same lines is here; http://liquidpiston.com/technology/how-it-works/
T.RexRacing wrote:Always wondered why no one ever tried expansion chambers on them??????
The exhaust port does not have overlap with the intake as it does on a reciprocating engine, each part of the cycle is a discrete event.

T.RexRacing

#4 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Makes sense to me.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#5 Post by Evans Ward » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:20 am

I owned a 76 Suzuki RE5 from about 1981-1984. Smooth but heavy bike with a long wheelbase. Sounded like a RX7 when you wound it up. That was the bike that almost bankrupted Suzuki.
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.