Mice!!!!

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

2smoke

Mice!!!!

#1 Post by 2smoke » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 am

Anyone else sick of these little bastards?
They got in my airbox again and made a messy nest and destroyed the air filter.
Then they chewed on the inside of the airbox lid for a snack!!
So sick of this. I cover the intake hole in the winter but not in summer/fall...
Time to setup traps again.
I guess they are looking for somewhere to stay for winter?

:smt013 :smt013
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

T.RexRacing

Re: Mice!!!!

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:41 pm

I don't like doing it but in the garage and barn I use DCon products. Effective but monitor pets and children carefully. My dog likes to eat carrion so I have to find and remove any carcasses before he gets to them. it's an ongoing problem on a farm.....never a break.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

whyzee79

#3 Post by whyzee79 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:23 pm

I put out a lot of poison. I get the humane traps then put the decon inside and it keeps the pets out. I also put them up above dog level in the garage so there wont be a problem. There are other dog proof traps that you can make with pvc pipe on youtube. I also use the snap traps to monitor how bad the mouse problem is. I am now using what everyone swears by and that is peppermint oil. I put it on a rag under the center of the bike. So far I have not had any problems this year. You could also put a rag of the oil inside the airbox. They seem to like going into the airbox!!

2smoke

#4 Post by 2smoke » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Well I am out there now removing the lower airbox which is a huge pain on the lc.
I had to remove one of the rubber manifolds for enough room.
:smt011
What a mess.
Colin
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#5 Post by LC Cnd » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 pm

So they chewed thru the snorkle end of the breather to gain access? I built a live trap for $9 (took 2hrs to construct) as apposed to $110 at the local farming supply shop for squirrels. Best way to deal with them varmints is a cat. Now there is a local by-law whereby cat owners will be fined/taxed if neighbours complain about your cat killing birds and yet its the neighbours bird feeders attracting vermin - can't win lately. Hear mice are now destroying vehicle wire harnessed - BMW's in particular, because the wiring cover insultation is made of vegetable oil base. Don't think that applies to an LC however but frustrating just the same.

T.RexRacing

#6 Post by T.RexRacing » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 am

Can't have a cat 'cause this crazy bastid will kill them.

EDIT:Why can't I post a photo on this site?
Last edited by T.RexRacing on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Questo vecchio rz

#7 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 am

Oh the Mice. :smt013 I have a lil Scion XB, I bought new in 04, my favorite car ever, & I've had many. But I rear ended a car in it, so I left it at my friend's house..which happens to be on a avacado farm...which happens to have.. literally thousands of mice..there everywhere.
My friend has about 2 dozen Porsches on site, and the mice have done untold damage to his cars, they get into everything..everywhere, if there is a way in..they will find it...eat it, piss & shit in it and render it or part ruined.
Now my Scion, is a better engineered car than a old Porsche..so I never gave it much thought, I told myself..I WONT have a problem...lol :smt042 Man O' Man was I ever wrong..they found a way in through a cracked windshield wiper valance, then into the ventilation intake for the air/heater motor...then to the interior. The interior is completely ruined..what's not chewed..stinks with that unmistakable nasty mice piss stench. I placed some sheet metal over the gap, thinking I sealed the car completely..but when I last checked on it..I sat in it to move it..then I heard a rukus..above me? Somehow someway..the lil Fuckers found their way into the kickpanel rails then into the A-pillar and have now infested the narrow 1/2 "-1" space that is between the headliner and the roof. The only way to fix it now us to completely gut my interior and buy a donor and swap it all over..but combined that with fixing the body damage is going to cost me about 4k, about the same the cars worth..but it holds sentimental value to me, as my late wife helped me buy it...But I might have to throw in the towel..& just buy another one.

My friend..is absolutely brutal with them, he literally smashes them with a rubber mallet..I thought he was mad, when I 1st saw him do it...but after realizing that the mice have likley cost him I'm guessing a honest $10,000-$15,000 dollars in damage..I see where he's coming from.
REMINDER TO SELF ...NEVER... NEVER..move onto a Avacado farm...lol

He has 12 motorcycles on site, but the cars must taste better as the bikes are clean.

The Yellow/Black KR RZ, I got from AZ when I pulled the airbox lid...same as OP...it was full of mouse shit and the filter was just clogged with a chewed up oil & fuel soaked foam UNI filter and mouse poop..and that lil gift of stinky fucking urine they leave for us.

Building a better mousetrap may well be a simple as making one look like a RZ airbox..they seem to find them irresistable :smt043
Last edited by Questo vecchio rz on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

OldTZracer

#8 Post by OldTZracer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 am

From a barnfind a few years ago...

Stuff a bounce dryer sheet under the seat. Apparently mice don't like the smell...
"...its a 2-stroke ya twit - Its supposed to smoke..."

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#9 Post by Evans Ward » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am

When living in SW GA growing up, we had large warf rats the size of a cat where I kept my bikes. They fancied eating the seat covers to get to the foam to use in their nests and did damage to a couple of my bikes. They also ate and tunneled through the walls. My sport and revenge was a .22 rifle with rat shot as I waited for them to come out of the holes.
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

75RD350rider

#10 Post by 75RD350rider » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

I have barn cats and I don't have any mice or rats but I do have the joy of washing the bike covers once a month from the toms spraying on them.. I can stand that compared to the eat up wires and rat poop though...
I love the smell of Blue Marble in the morning!
Tim Steele in Front Royal, VA

2smoke

#11 Post by 2smoke » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Sounds like I got off easy! No poop or stench this time. Yes he got in thru the baffle hole.
Stuffed the box with grass. Chewed the lid for fun.
I found a dead mouse in the driveway today!
Hoping this is the same bastard and some neighbours cat got him.
Colin
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

cbrian

Mice!!!!

#12 Post by cbrian » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Spread moth balls all throughout your barn. Haven't had any troubles since then.

rztom
Site Admin

#13 Post by rztom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 am

T.RexRacing wrote:Can't have a cat 'cause this crazy bastid will kill them.
You can - others are doing it. How are you trying to do it, T? What pic-hosting service are you using?

Questo vecchio rz

#14 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 am

rztom wrote:
T.RexRacing wrote:Can't have a cat 'cause this crazy bastid will kill them.
You can - others are doing it. How are you trying to do it, T? What pic-hosting service are you using?
For many of us Photobucket was all we ever knew, now that it's gone it's not easy for some of us, whom are not up to speed with other sites, or are just way too busy to research trial & error methods.

What would be nice..us what I used to do here when others asked how to post pictures, provide a step by step guide, showing exactly where and how to do it.
That would be helpful. Photobucket for a long time was SOooo easy...no need to resize..just click & paste.

Any guide or tutoring would be welcomed.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

kpke
-----
-----

#15 Post by kpke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am

From another post I made in my photo thread

Here's a question for you smart people, why the fuck can we just buy a domain to host our own photos that has all the code to embed them in forum posts? Hmmm, why? That's what I want.

Here are imgur posting instructions from an imjur forum post:

This actually already exists! Imgur should really make light of this as a more obvious feature!

If you take your image URL and add a specific letter to the end of it, it will alter the size for you

Take your URL of an image such as http://i.imgur.com/7iNNs3Th.jpg2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then add a specific letter to the end of it before the .jpg!

I guess this isn't too well known!

s = Small Square (90×90)
b = Big Square (160×160)
t = Small Thumbnail (160×160)
m = Thumbnail (320×320)
l = Thumbnail (640×640)
h = Thumbnail (1024×1024)

As far as I can tell, it still retains the aspect ratio, so it won't make your stuff square, just shrink it till one both of the sizes are at, or below, the 1024x1024 values etc.

In my own words here's what that means:

Copy the “BBCode (message boards & forums)”. In other words click the blue “Copy” button just below and to the right of this.

Paste it into your forum post. It will look like this but will have Image at the rear of the URL.

http://i.imgur.com/tRWWmIt.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using the secret code from above add a single letter like this, again it will have Image at the rear of the URL.

In this case I added the letter “h” = Thumbnail (1024×1024)

http://i.imgur.com/tRWWmIth.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, it's that simple. Not too bad.

What I haven't figured out yet in imgur is setting up a file structure. I had done with photo bucket.

For example

Folder - RZ500
>Sub Folder – Engine
>Sub Folder – Electrical
>Sub Folder – Powder Coat
Etc.

Has anybody done this in imgur?

Here is an example using the instructions from above: