Will Yamaha make an electric RD/RZ

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

T.RexRacing

Re: Will Yamaha make an electric RD/RZ

#16 Post by T.RexRacing » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Ah........Audi............the car only the wealthy can afford to keep beyond warranty.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Questo vecchio rz

#17 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 pm

T.RexRacing wrote:Ah........Audi............the car only the wealthy can afford to keep beyond warranty.
It would be funny, if it were not the reality.

Wanna hear something funny related to this car, and I'm sure it her AUDIs follow suit. To do the water pump, thermostat is timing belt either one at a time is all at once since your in there..don't forget the $275.00 6" hose either...lil. but aside from the entire front clip being removed..even....the A/C system has to be evaluated.

Like many of us here I'm reasonably handy around the toolbox, but I'm not willing to attempt this hurdle.

I know the supercharged AUDI S4, 5s or 8s? etc..have similar engineering marvel's accociated with them too.
That's why they are like Mercedes AMGs, BMW M3s or a Audi...you can go out and buy a 350-500 h.p. 6-10 year old car that cost between 50-100k for $20,000 ...lol

The famous advertising taglines such as BMWs "ultimate driving machine", or Porches "There is no substitute" kinda makes one roll their eyes and chuckle.

The realty is, you really have to be a "real" player making serious coin to afford to keep one, It's possibly likley wiser to buy a factory certified used car every 5-6 years? Than to maintain these cars past 100k, there certainly not built for longevity without big bucks being spent. Gorgeous cars though..but certainly for the well to do.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

MK

#18 Post by MK » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:53 pm

No problem with ranting.
It's winter anyway and we all need something to read :-)

For my side I can recommend the VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI.
Have bought it in 2004 and it did pretty flawless 225.000 km up to last April (when I sold it in exchange for the mentioned eUp)
The other one (2014 Golf 7 CNG) now has 106.000 km and had exactly no issues yet.
Bye
Martin

JonW

#19 Post by JonW » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 pm

All this talk of 'reliable' VWs (Audi is a VW basically)... My 2012 Polo GTi had new clutches at just over 10k kms for its DSG, a full engine rebuild at just over 20k and needed new clutches again at 27k when I sold it (ran away from it more like!). When on oil consumption test (drive 1000km and see how much you use) I made it only 600km before the oil light came on. I sold the car as the last straw was the pieces of interior trim replaced at 18months old were delaminating again, the fuel flap locked me out and the roof antenna came loose enough I was worried it would let water in. The dealer was useless and even dented the car while they rebuilt the motor (took a month) and also polished the bonnet with a dirty rag. Idiots. In contrast my Subaru has been reliable and nothing has fallen off, even the dealer is respectful and friendly.

Ok, my Polo might have been an exception, and yes the 1.4 supercharged and turbocharged engines had issues, but even with a extra year of warranty that was hard won from the local importer, this car was a lemon and proved to me that my love of VAG's cars of old was really just silly nostalgia. What I would say is that my Polo, and other VWs Ive tried, have been great to drive when theyre working, but the poor build quality and silly issues means I now feel like they are the new Alfa Romeo. Ie a great drive, but you wouldnt want to own it for long as it will be unreliable. I always thought my most unreliable car had been my Lotus Elise until I had the Polo... that says it all to me.

Ive spent quite a bit of time at my mates workshop and he has instigated a 'no German cars' rule now. The thing QV mentions with the parts on Audis has struck him too. One small AC pump on an A8 is $3500 here, so he repaired it, but getting at it was stupidly hard and took ages. In just over 100k km the same car had completely eaten its engine mounts, there was so much play it was obvious to the naked eye! Ive also seen plenty of damaged wiring (burnt out loom plugs) on <5yr old Mercs and it seems pretty much any BMW over 5yrs will have oil leaks, a rego fail here in Aus and repairing those leaks usually means you need a mechanic with 10inch long skinny fingers and many hours of labour that the owners cannot understand or want to pay for. I feel that the old story of German car quality is now just a myth sadly, I loved buying German cars and did so for years, my whole family too. Further proof of their decline in my world came when my Dad (a staunch German car buyer since the 70s) is trading his Merc for a Mazda, hes never owned a Japanese car but the UK Mercedes dealers treat him badly and the cars are expensive and unreliable. One recent issue on his car was a OEM valve cap that used dissimilar metals to the valve so locked on. Even the dealer struggled to get it off, suggesting they remove the tyre and swap the valve... at his cost of course. Thats not well designed is it?

Anyway 'leccy bikes... I'd buy one. Yes, I really would. A roadie too. I live in the city and was quite liked the Zero range. A motard would be great fun etc. But... they cost $25k+ here. And recently Zero left the Aussie market as we didnt buy them, well no of course not at that price! you can get a lot more older tech for that money here. The pricing issue really did it for me or Id have one in my garage, for say 10k theyd have sold plenty and if the govt had given a concession on rego that would have cemented the deal. but at $25k, no way! I think its the future but only when the mainstream brands start to do it in bulk and the price comes down. Dont get me wrong I love the noise an engine makes, but in the city electric would be wonderful.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

hablair

#20 Post by hablair » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am

I love the contradiction in terms mentioned above

An electric vehicle with Wide Open Throttle, the definition on the electric vehicle just seems so wrong but so right - love it

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#21 Post by LC Cnd » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:23 am

Maybe it more of an issue of an open circuit or is it closed cirucuit go of it. Ya, it is a bit of a throttle paradox. Looking fwd to trying an electric motorcycle with some humph - anyone got any experience comparing to an RD/RZ? I imagine it will be an odd sensation feeling zero (no pun) pause while accelerating on two wheels.Tesla roadsters are interesting but not affordable -yet.

T.RexRacing

#22 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:54 am

There's a Zero Motorcycles dealer on Vancouver Island. And they are pretty good about test rides. Visit the website and schedule a ride. The Zero SR (their hot rod) is rated at over 100 lb-ft of torque. So I'd say it will be right quick. Bikes are not unduly expensive in today's market especially when you account for lack of maintenance costs. Tires and brakes is about it for regular items.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#23 Post by LC Cnd » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:34 pm

You had me going for a sec - Mile Zero is a Suzuki shop. Know the owner who raced the Isle of Man TT. The nearest Zero motorcycle dealer(s) is in Vancouver unless you utilized a search engine I missed. It would save me a ferry trip for sure. Anyone test a Zero?

T.RexRacing

#24 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 pm

This is the address on their site that came up when I typed in Vancouver Island.

837 E Cordova Street
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Salvador Dali

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#25 Post by LC Cnd » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Yep, the address is in down town Vancouver. Ck'd out their website and learnt that a 2017 SR zero is $16,295 (then 12% tax). Like the yellow demo, hmm. Found a very good British 2017 petrol head review of the bike that provides an honest opinion when comparing it to a Yamaha R1. Like the physic of the Sarolea electric bike - nice lines. Interesting stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb0cdLiM0mc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.RexRacing

#26 Post by T.RexRacing » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Search for the Harley-Davidson Livewire bike. It's definitely going to happen but will be 5 years in coming to market. Ive seen them but yet to ride one and it's too late until they market the bike. It's a very polished prototype that got rave reviews from everyone that got to ride one.
Salvador Dali