Who's in Sydney Australia

Ride planning, upcoming events, or just tire-kicking get-togethers - post 'em here!

Moderator: rztom

racinjason

Who's in Sydney Australia

#1 Post by racinjason » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi people so takin a big holiday in oz nov till jan if anyone from on here would like to meet and share 2 stroke stuff or knows of any bike shows track days or moto x stuff in Sydney area would be cool to meet an be shown local bike stuff :smt023
89 F2 hybrid NC30 rear end R6 front end,in process
07 CRF 250
01 ZX600

JonW

Re: Who's in Sydney Australia

#2 Post by JonW » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Cool to hear youre coming down this way Jason, its not a bad place and will be warm and sunny when youre here, they are predicting a hot summer, you will need sunscreen and a hat at all times, seriously. There are a bunch of us who like me say that they 'live in Sydney', but not that many who live in the CBD which is what people think of when you say Sydney to someone not from here. Most of us are 30mis+ drive out of town (45mins+ on train). That may not preclude meeting up, just that its not easy to drop in and see peoples projects unless you have a car, and in Sydney as a tourist, why would you? There are a few guys who live a bit closer but they dont post much on the forums. A few also live up the coast and if you head out to the Hunter for wine tasting then youre heading that way etc. All depends on how long youre here, what youre planning, what transport options you have and what you want to do etc.

Bike shows... I think there might be the Sydney Motorcycle & Scooter Show on while you are here, its was in Darling Harbour last year which is absolutely central enough for a visit, its like the NEC events, just smaller. I had a quick google but didnt find anything tho, anyone else?

Quite a few of the clubs have meets tho, but I not plugged into that scene so dont know. Have a look on facebook as there is a FB club that meets weekly and while its bobbers and such it does have 2Ts and they love to meet and ride, someone there might even lend you a bike, I just dont know them. Perhaps ask this on the 'RD's in Australia' thread on Norbos forum as some of those guys might know and be more plugged in and perhaps know the scene? Also join 2strokesdowunder forum and ask there as well?

Beware if you do drive in Sydney, the standard is low, its very busy and full of big cars and narrow lane roads. The cops are everywhere and will do you for speed and also test you for drink driving (called an RBT), you can be over the next day after a big night out. Dont be that guy. Out of town its better, but Sydney seems to have a big police presence, everytime I leave my house I always see at least one car, maybe more, even on short drives. Plus they set out an RBT at the top of my driveway as there is on street parking there (its not just to catch me out! LOL!) most evenings now, drinkers and speeders are low hanging fruit it seems. Mobile phones need to be firmly fixed to the car not in your hand but I never see anyone getting done for that sadly. None of this should stop you driving, I just dont want you to think its like the UK etc.

Sadly, there isnt that much of a 2T vibe here really if im honest, its more 4Ts and more modern stuff, but we have lots of cool (and uncool) older bikes on the roads here used daily so you can spot all sorts of stuff you havent seen for years just walking about the city, ie guys ride 70s Japanese and BMWs and (Ive even seen battered XT500s!) as everyday transport etc. Used prices for all vehicles is high here (hence why used parts also cost a bomb) so people squeeze every last bit of use out of them. New bikes abound but the oldies will have you smiling, even if they are a CX500 LOL!

You could get the bus / taxi out to Deus Ex Machina its not far down Paramatta road (even walk down George Street away from the city and keep walking and you will find it after 20mins or so on your right), its not 2T but it is cool to see what they have done/offer and its a big brand now. Other than that most of the shops are just either big bike dealers or workshops and not really accessible as such without transport and few carry parts, they just order in. Its not like the USA where you could come home with a bunch of cool banshee based parts from a shop, here you might buy something from one of us and save on post, but you wont really find much RD/RZ down here that is better value than the UK, tho we do have more Athena and other big bore stuff as we like bigger cc's here. eg. LB still has some parts for sale etc. We do have some hard to find LC bits here like uncut subframes and guards as people didnt cut them as much downunder and if you find some on ebay and buy them someone here would store them for you to pick up im sure.

MX... Ive no idea... must be some I guess, but will be out of town unless its a crusty demons show or something, and even then it will be in Homebush I would think so you would need to travel a bit.

Track Days, well Eastern Creek is the most obvious, but its miles out of town, Im not sure how you would get there really. Sadly the PCRA season ends in Oct, which is a shame as there are loads of RD/RZ/TZ etc etc bikes in those races and you can wander the pits without hassle. If you can get to one of those meets it would be good as the access you have is unparalleled if youve come from a UK/EU/USA background.
http://www.postclassicracing.com.au/pag ... r2014.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a bit of a google of the places mentioned and let us know more about your plans and timeframe and if we can make it work we might at least have a beer in the city etc. Oh yeah, and prepare yourself... a normal bottle beer in the city is $9-12 depending on where you drink it... Read tripadvisor, eatability and urbanspoon for reviews of bars and rests; like anywhere you can have a terrible time and feel ripped off by costs in the touristy locationsin the CBD, ie outside the Opera House etc. I know people who have come here and found the people rude and the prices outrageous, but any city would be the same, London being a prime example. My advice for visiting Sydney is to do what you would do in any big city and enjoy the touristy stuff for what it is and also mix that up with some visits a little further afield to the cooler areas a little bit (only 5-10mins on train/bus) out of the banks and posh shop area that is our CBD and soak up the vibes that arent the city.

HTH! Enjoy!
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

lowflying

#3 Post by lowflying » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 am

How late in January? Cuz you'd love this:

http://islandclassic.com.au/island-classichome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just recently caught the stroker virus...prognosis terminal...

racinjason

#4 Post by racinjason » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks Jon loads of helpful info as per ty.would be up 4 that beer pal I'll be in new town area most of my trip was lookin at track day at Eastern creek but may be headin Melbourne way 4 bit too so may inquire bout a day at Philip Island would love to ride it :).looks good but I'm only in oz till 12th jan but thanks anyways.
07 CRF 250
01 ZX600

JonW

#5 Post by JonW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:59 pm

Newtown is a great area outside of the touristy CBD, it has cafes and restaurants and a great pub as well. Its more 'studenty' and has 2nd hand stores and no major chains on the main streets, we go there for good coffee and a change from the clean posh vibe the city has, so good choice imho.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

stevodude

#6 Post by stevodude » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Not in Sydney, and definitely no 2t buzz in Mackay, except dirt, but I'm not big on that. Most are into detuned tractors (HD etc).

racinjason

#7 Post by racinjason » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Well I'm there now lol..thanks for the advice espcially Jon.now gonna take walk up to Deus Ex Machina an hv lil look it's not far up the road from me so why not.you were right bout Newtown jon ideal location for me being a visitor plenty places to eat/drink up an down king street.one thing I couldn't get no joy with was the 2strokesdownunder forum as the format of their site wnt work on my phone also what is norbos forum couldn't seem to find it although I hv heard that name mentioned on here few times.thanks "getting sunburn jason"
07 CRF 250
01 ZX600

JonW

#8 Post by JonW » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:57 pm

haha, welcome! Pleased to hear youre enjoying Newtown, Im jealous its a great place to hang out. Head up the far en to almost St Peters and hit Pastizzi and have some of those and a good coffee there. :) Wander a bit further and over the railway thru the station and keep walking up the ally and you hit Mays Lane, its grafitti central and very cool.

Have fun at Deus, grab a coffee and a burger for lunch in their cafe, its pretty good.

The 2strokesdownunder forum should work on a phone, i know guys use tapatalk etc with it :/

Norbos is RDLCCRAZY and is on proboards.

Buy some sunscreen... even tho the clouds are there you will still get burnt... buy a hat too... Damn Ive become a dad! LOL!
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

racinjason

#9 Post by racinjason » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:22 am

Haha cheers dad yeah gettin sunburnt already will check them all out.did have some lunch at Deus an picked up cool top there too bikes r nice seemed cheap as well compared to the price of most things here lol.thanks again..now gonna put some pics of my build up as I had to pick up my Rollin chassis day b4 I left can't wait to get home an advance on it some more.loads of parts sittin there waiting to be done...
07 CRF 250
01 ZX600