Tachometer needle broke

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

okoang

Tachometer needle broke

#1 Post by okoang » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:50 am

Hello I just recently got a 1984 Yamaha RZ350 and I was riding it one day and I looked down and all the sudden the tachometer needle broke off and just a little bit on the back was there. So I was wondering how hard it is to put a new tachometer needle on and if the whole speedometer case is a sealed unit or can I just but a new needle to replace it? Or do I need to get a whole new tachometer and if so where could I get one. Also if you have any websites that sell rz350 parts that would be much appreciated

pushstartrearset
-----
-----

Re: Tachometer needle broke

#2 Post by pushstartrearset » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:51 pm

I remember reading somewhere where someone used a toothpick and glued that on. Maybe paint it white? Or maybe a shish-kabob stick cut to fit. I remember pulling the needle off the temp gauge...totally screwed that up (shaft rotated and could never quite get that right) as i could never get it back right. I'd try gluing a toothpick or similar, maybe balsa wood or similar. Possibly a swizzle stick (mixed drinks)...be creative! hahaha.
1984 RZ350L (U.S.) Old Toomeys, oil injected!, Y-boot K&N. loctite throttle cable holder on left carb!! , 410 mains, Dynojet needles 2.0 clip, #20 pilot @ 1.5 turn a.s., 240/512 p.v.

MK

Re: Tachometer needle broke

#3 Post by MK » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:27 am

If you got the old needle, just stick it back.
The static position is some mm's left from the zero-stop, so put it on there and slightly bend it to get it right from the stop position.

If you lost the needle, I very likely have one. Just need a quick search in the cold garage....
(Considering the shipping you may search for a used part locally)
Bye
Martin