Anybody know a reputable 2 stroke tuner in southern Ontario?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

kampinguru

Anybody know a reputable 2 stroke tuner in southern Ontario?

#1 Post by kampinguru » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:26 pm

I want to get the bike running the best I can on a stock setup but don't feel confident in tuning the carbs myself.

bitzz

Re: Anybody know a reputable 2 stroke tuner in southern Onta

#2 Post by bitzz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:36 am

Stevie Lewis at Daytona Cycle on Steeles.
Sandy at Pro6 Cycle on Kipling.
Willy at Wasp Performance in Ajax.

justind97

#3 Post by justind97 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:46 am

Tuning your carbs is not all that difficult, it's just a matter of following instructions to a T.

This has been discussed at great lengths on the forum. Take a look at the following link. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6093&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silverstrom made reference to two links. They are very good for taking a carb apart and cleaning.

Do you have the Haynes Manual?

kampinguru

#4 Post by kampinguru » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 am

Thank you Justin. I have the Yamaha service manual. I have taken the carb apart and had them sonically cleaned and they are back together. I am just not that familiar with tuning a 2 stroke and would feel more comfortable seeing it done before I try it myself. I do not need anything radical here. Just carbs sync'd, pilot screw adjusted and idle taken care of. I want to use it as a learning experience as well so that I will feel more comfortable doing it in the future.

kampinguru

#5 Post by kampinguru » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you for the information Blitzz. I will give Daytona a call since they are closest to me.

justind97

#6 Post by justind97 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 am

Just to forewarn you, IF you take it to someone, chances are they will not be willing to have you around while they are doing the work.
Plus they won't know exactly when they will get to it, so you might just be standing around for nothing.

The only way to learn with older technology like this is to simply do. Follow the manual, make what you think are the correct adjustments and start the bike up and see what happens. Then back to the drawing board or start fiddling a little at a time with the adjustments.

ZedSledder

#7 Post by ZedSledder » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 pm

You can get mikuni 4/042 main jets from fortnine.ca. At $6.50 a piece makes me wonder why one would bother with chinese ones. I do agree getting a base tune from a pro is helpful, just make sure you write done what they did. You don’t have to be standing there when they do it, but they owe you the info on what jets they used etc..
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

kampinguru

#8 Post by kampinguru » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks ZedSLedder and Justin. I have a box of jets that I still have from my race bike so I am good with jets. I just don't know what to do with them :-). They came with the race bike when I bought it. I did drop the pilot jets down one when I had the carbs cleaned since the bike smoked so much. The bike was supposedly running stock jetting when I bought it back in 1991. The main jets are 180

ZedSledder

#9 Post by ZedSledder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Might not be the jetting. It could be the condition of your seals, and a mechanic will want to change them. So be prepared for that.
Could also be oil delivery, or burning off of fogging oil left over from storage. Carbon build up in pipes, even? I’d try and figure it out first if you’ve got the time and space. A pro is going to want rebuild it or nothing.... maybe.
Sorry, I don’t know the size of stock main jets on Power Jet carbs.
Good Luck. Cheers
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

kampinguru

#10 Post by kampinguru » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Engine was just completely rebuilt with new crank, pistons and all seals.