"Premix Only" oil in the injector system

Central location for technical tips and information

Moderators: rztom, silverstrom

kobra

"Premix Only" oil in the injector system

#1 Post by kobra » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 am

Silly question, but hear me out.

I want my RZ to smell really good when I ride it. Everyone keeps telling me castor oil is amazing, but I can't say I've experienced it first hand.
I live in California and it's likely only going to be ridden when it's 50 degrees F or warmer.
Right now I'm running Maxima SuperM Injector. Maxima told me the only difference is that it's thinner so that it won't clog up an injector system (I assume in cold temps).

So, apart from running premix, how do I go about using a castor bean oil from time to time? Disconnect the throttle cable to the oil pump and run premix (so it gets a 100:1 Super M and 32:1 castor)? Dump the castor oil in the injector tank? Mix the castor oil with kerosene to thin it out?

I know... the Super M is fine and smells alright. But I want the full experience...

brrrappp

Re: "Premix Only" oil in the injector system

#2 Post by brrrappp » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:47 am

So the big gripe when using Castor Bean Oil is the heavy gum it leaves on the rings and the powervalve parts. This was never really a problem for racers because the engine was apart on a regular basis.
If you are looking to get the smell once in a while, I'd just whip up 5 gals of Castor premix around 40:1 or 50:1 and leave your oil injector to do it's thing. If it's warm out and you are not already on the lean side of jetting it will be fine. If the temps drop significantly or if you have the bike jetted right to the edge, you might go up a size on the main. Adding oil to the gas displaces some of the gas with oil that doesn't burn making the mix leaner. If you mix down at 20:1 or 24:1 the oil/fuel mix is also measurably "thicker" - you could do a flow test with a sample of straight gas, 40:1 mix compared to 20:1 mix through a small orifice and measure the result after 30 seconds. You might see a 5% difference and infer that you need 5% bigger jets. That would get you in the ballpark.

I run 20:1 Spectro synthetic 2-stroke oil with VP C-12 in my MX bike and my exhaust pipe is just as clean as anyone else (no sticky goo). My piston rings and powervalves are clean as can be. You can't kill a 2-stroke with excess oil. You can kill it with lean jetting.

bitzz

#3 Post by bitzz » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Bad idea to mix bean oil with petro oil.
The bean oil will "clot" and you'll get sludge that you'll have to dis-assemble the motor to clean out.

Maxima 927 smells pretty close.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#4 Post by Evans Ward » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Manhattan Oils makes some neat varieties of smells in fragrance oils that can be used in the injector tank. I’ve used several but like the cotton candy best. Just takes alilttle.
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

kobra

#5 Post by kobra » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:39 pm

bitzz wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 pm Bad idea to mix bean oil with petro oil.
The bean oil will "clot" and you'll get sludge that you'll have to dis-assemble the motor to clean out.

I contacted Maxima and they said it's true, castor bean won't mix properly with a synthetic or semi-syn if you were to pour them both in the same jug. But when mixed with gas it acts as a solvent and makes everything mix perfectly fine even in the bottom end. After that gas evaporates? Not sure...

Evans Ward wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:21 pm Manhattan Oils makes some neat varieties of smells in fragrance oils that can be used in the injector tank. I’ve used several but like the cotton candy best. Just takes alilttle.
I've used that stuff in a gas bike before, the grape flavor. It ended up smelling like cough syrup lol. My gas cap also leaked and caused it to spill out, making the whole bike smell like cough syrup for like 6 months. I ought to be more careful next time hahaha.

brrrappp

#6 Post by brrrappp » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:55 pm

bitzz wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 pm Bad idea to mix bean oil with petro oil.

Just to be clear, Maxima 927 IS Castor Bean Oil.
and
No, do not mix it into the oil injection tank with a normal or synthetic 2-stroke oil.

Do the old-school gas-oil Mix. Use a fuel container and mix it really well- do not dump oil straight into your bikes fuel tank. It will go right to the bottom and you will have a float bowl full of oil.

Bean Oils are the very best protection you can get for high heat /anti-scuff. It clings to the high heat areas better than any other 2-stroke oil.
The downside is the fact that disassembly and cleaning is usually required if used all the time.
If you run a tank of pre-mix with Maxima 927 on occasion, you will not have a problem. If you run it all the time, expect a lot of goo and a tear down at the end of the season.
Maxima claims "Proprietary ash-free additive system keeps your engine running clean and free of gum formation, corrosion and deposits."
My personal experience with Castor based Oils in the 80's was goo in the pipe. Goo on the rings. Goo on the powervalve. Goo on my rear fender. But our riding area smelled awesome!

Klotz was the go-to back then and I think they still make the same stuff now https://klotzlube.com/shop?olsPage=prod ... cant-ueb1a

pdxjim

#7 Post by pdxjim » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:03 am

Just pour a capfull or two of Blendzall in the fuel tank when you want the bean oil smell.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. RD350LC, TDR250, plated 300XCW. No four strokes.

Forzfed

#8 Post by Forzfed » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Evans Ward wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:21 pm Manhattan Oils makes some neat varieties of smells in fragrance oils that can be used in the injector tank. I’ve used several but like the cotton candy best. Just takes alilttle.
That would make me want to go to the Carnival. I use the Redline and remember the first time stopping for coffee with a buddy and starting the bike and thinking what's that flowery smell. :smt003 It's kind of strange.
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage