Drag Bike - Plan B

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Off Road
-----
-----

Re: Drag Bike - Plan B

#406 Post by Off Road » Sun May 02, 2021 2:13 am

To help stop the drool I’m also making copper washers that will go between the inner and outer tubes.
The washers will but up against the spacers and be held in place by the pipes.

The washers will be made from pieces of 14 gauge solid copper wire.
I’ll roll the wire in a circle, (around the outside of the pipe),
Hammer it flat, so that it takes up all the space between the inner and outer tubes,
Cut it to the correct length, and then press it down between the inner and outer tubes.
After the washers are in place, I’ll tap them down so they expand and form a tight seal between the 2 tubes.

r302.JPG
r302.JPG (122.91 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
This should stop the majority of the drool from running down the pipe, said the man with a moderate amount of confidence.
But, just to be safe, I’ll probably put some high-temp RTV on the pipe before I slide it into the flange.
And if that doesn’t end the drool, then the next owner of this bike will either have to live with it, or find some way to stop it,
because I'm done. :smt003

Off Road
-----
-----

#407 Post by Off Road » Sun May 02, 2021 2:13 am

I made the 4 spacers a couple of nights ago.
Last night I hammered on some copper circles to see if it was possible to make them into washers.
Today when I got home from work, my plan was to sit back, relax, and lose touch with reality for a while, because, well because, I could.
The queen was away and the castle was mine, so I had a couple.
I took some pictures and put them on the computer.
I wrote a few sentences outlining what I’d done so far, so I could make a post on the forum.
Because some fool left me without adult supervision, I had a couple more before I finally headed out to the shop to make a couple of copper washers.

I looked at the rough sample that I made the previous day and thought, This Sucks. :smt005
When you flatten the washer to make it wider, it also gets thinner.
A washer that’s thick in some spots, and thin in other spots, is not going to seal very well. :smt012
In addition, when I hammer on the copper, it makes the edges rough and jagged.
Since the washer is no longer round and circular, it won’t seal against the inside of the cylindrical tube. :smt011

Plan B
- Form the wire in a circle around the outside of the exhaust pipe
- Cut to approximate length and the place it between 2 heavy metal plates
- Hit the plate a couple of times with a medium sized hammer

This slightly flattens the 1.6 mm dia. wire, to a thickness of 1.5 mm, and increases its width to 1.7 mm.
This is much wider than the 1 mm wide Spacer that is currently installed between the 2 tubes

Since the washer was formed around the outside of the pipe, its diameter is larger than the tube it’s going into,
so you have to compress the washer to get it into the tube.
(the same as putting a piston ring into a cylinder)
This forces the washer out so that it seals against the inside of the outer tube, which is perfect.

In theory, when you install the DG exhaust pipe into the flange, it butts up against the spacer.
Any exhaust gas that goes between the spacer and Inner flange tube, will flow down the inside of the pipe.
Any exhaust gas, and drool, that goes between the spacer and Outer flange tube, will flow down the outside of the pipe.
Since the new washer is tight against the outer tube, it should stop any drool from getting past the spacer to the outside of the pipe.

Tomorrow I’ll push the washers in against the spacer, put a light coat of RTV on the pipes, and get everything back on the bike.
And we’ll see what happens.

r303.JPG
r303.JPG (122.26 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
r304.JPG
r304.JPG (103.38 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

Off Road
-----
-----

#408 Post by Off Road » Mon May 10, 2021 11:11 pm

I took the tires off the rims and cleaned up and sanded the bead area on the rims.
Mounted and balanced the tires and put them back on the bike.
In the last 13 days the tire pressure has dropped by less than 1 psi, in each tire.

I turned the pilot air screw in ¼ turn and, as it turns out, I guessed correctly.
The bike easily pulls away from a stop with just a slight blip of the throttle.

After riding the bike for 160 km (100 miles), there is zero, nada, none, not even a single drop of 2T drool running down the outside of the pipes.

r305.JPG
r305.JPG (91.66 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

Ya, I know what you’re thinking and you are correct.
That is one really ugly mess of orange RTV on those exhaust flanges.
I agree with you 100%, and still, I’m not going to do a damn thing about it because...
a – It’s not leaking
b – It will be completely hidden when the belly pan and side panels are installed
c – I’m selling the bike
d – Even if I don’t sell the bike, It’s not leaking!

Off Road
-----
-----

#409 Post by Off Road » Mon May 10, 2021 11:12 pm

So far, I’ve put 100 miles on the rebuilt motor and I like it.
I’ve done two, 50 mile loops around the city that are a mix of 50 mph country roads and 75 mph freeway.
The 1st time out I kept the rpm to 6000 to 6500, for the most part.
I did hit 7000 a couple of times, maybe 3 at the most.
And I did get it to 8000, but only 1 time, but that wasn’t my fault.
I was 3/4 of the way through a nice sweeping set of S corners when the tach hit 7000, and I just couldn’t roll off the throttle because,
well, because, I was having way too much fun.

On the 2nd lap around the 50 mile loop, I took it to 7000 on a regular basis and up to 8000 rpm a half dozen times.

In the lower gears, (1st, 2nd, and 3rd), the bike pulls smoothly from 3000 to 6000 rpm
In the higher gears, there is a significant 5k stumble, which in this case, runs from 4500 to 5500 rpm.
At 5500 it starts to clear up, and by 6000 rpm it’s coming on the pipe and pulling smooth and strong.
At 7000 it’s pulling hard. At 8000 it’s pulling really hard.
I’m pretty excited to see what will happen when I remove the, self imposed, rev limiter.

Next time out, I’ll run it through the gears to 8000 every chance I get.
And it’s entirely possible that it’ll hit 9000 at least once.
After that, I’m going to put it on the dyno to finish setting up the carbs.

Speaking of carbs, this is the 1st time that I’ve ever tuned a set of power-jet carbs.
And this is the 1st bike that I’ve had with DG pipes and pod filters.
So, I took my best guess.
On my other RZ’s, with Toomey pipes and Y-boot, I went up 18 sizes on the main jet, from 240 to 420,
when I run the bike at an altitude of 3500’ above sea level.
When I take the bike to BC, at an altitude of 75’, I go up another 2 jet sizes to 440’s.

So, I figured that a good starting point for the power-jet carbs would be a 360 MJ, which is 18 sizes larger than the stock 180 MJ.

I thought that the Toomey’s would flow better than the DG pipes, and if this was the case, then the 360 MJ would be too big, and the bike would be rich.
However, the 360 MJ’s are working really, really good at 8000 rpm, so they may be the right size.
They definitely put a big smile on my face.
After we run it on the dyno, I’ll see how close I was on jet sizing.

As for the 5k stumble. Well, let’s see.
Because of the pipes and pod filters, I had to richen the pilot circuit, and go really rich on the MJ.
Logic and common sense would seem to suggest that the mid range might also need to be richened up.
I have some washers for the needle, so it would be easy enough to raise the needle 1/2 a clip, richen it up, and see what happens.
However, my Butt Dyno says that the bikes already too rich in the mid range, and I should lower the needle 1/2 a clip, and see what happens.

It’s probably best if I just leave the needle where it is until we run it on the dyno, and see what’s really happening.

And speaking of the shop’s dyno.
- My 83 RZ (Toomey pipes & Y-boot, Slinger head, Zeel Ignition) made 61 hp.
- My 84 RZ (Toomey pipes & Y-boot, Slinger head, Zeel Ignition & Vforce 4 reeds) made 62 hp.
- Somebody else’s RZ with Toomey pipes & Y-boot made 56 hp.

I’m thinking that this RZ, with the DG pipes and pod filters, should make 52 hp.
At least that’s the number that I’d like to see.
If it’s lower, then I’ll be displeased.
If it’s higher, then I’m happy.
If it gets over 55 hp, then I may have to keep it. :smt003

'
r306.JPG
r306.JPG (122.96 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

I’ll be glad when I finish working on the 87, so I can dust off the 85 and start having fun on it.

r307.JPG
r307.JPG (110.63 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

And when the 87 RZ’s gone, I can get back to the important stuff on the other side of the shop

r308.JPG
r308.JPG (125.84 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

JonW

#410 Post by JonW » Tue May 11, 2021 3:27 am

Great work on the pipe flanges Steve. I think i'd be happy with the orange RTV over the spooge... tho you can also get black RTV, then you wouldnt see it :)
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

Hooligan

#411 Post by Hooligan » Tue May 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Steve, your shop is starting to look like Rory's. You guys know its not a competition to see who can own the most RZs right?

What would it cost to get my LC jetting sorted on the dyno? I'm tired of screwing with it and not really knowing it its correct.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

Off Road
-----
-----

#412 Post by Off Road » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 am

Off Road wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:12 pm I’ve done two, 50 mile loops around the city that are a mix of 50 mph country roads and 75 mph freeway.

The 1st time out I kept the rpm to 6000 to 6500, for the most part. I did hit 7000 a couple of times, maybe 3 at the most.

On the 2nd lap around the 50 mile loop, I took it to 7000 on a regular basis and up to 8000 rpm a half dozen times.
Wed., May 12/21
I took the 87 RZ for another run around the city.
This time out, I ran the engine to 9000 rpm every chance I got. And I had lots of chances on 50 miles of quite country road.
The bike ran great. It pulls smooth from 2000 to 5000 rpm.
It has a 5K stutter from 5000 to 5700.
At 5700 it clears out, and from 6000 to 9000, it pulls like a train.

Thurs., May 13/21
We ran it on the dyno.
First Run = 51.0 HP, Best Run = 52.7 HP. I’m happy

87 RZ Dyno-001.jpg
87 RZ Dyno-001.jpg (171.53 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
Sat., May 15/21
Did some fine tuning on the needle clip position.

Sun, May 16/21
Did some fine tuning on the pilot air screw.

Mon, May 17/21
It was a nice day so I rode the bike to work. After work, I took the long way home.

Tues, May 18/21
Rode the bike to work again because, well because, it's a fun ride.
That afternoon, one of our regular customers came into the shop for a few parts.
After getting them, he asked about the RZ, so I told him the long sad story.
He asked if he could hear it run, so I fired it up and we talked some more.
After a while, his wife who was patiently waiting in the car, yelled at him to get moving, because they had other places to go.

An hour or so later, the guy show up back at the shop, come over to my desk and says
“You said you were asking $5500 for the bike and there’s a guy down East who’s interested in buying it”.
I said, “Yes, that’s right”.
He said, “Is he going to buy it for sure?”
I said, “I don’t know, it’s been a few weeks since I spoke to him”.
He said, “Then sell it to me”, and he pulled $5500 from his pocket and put it on my desk.

I said, “Well, Umm, this puts me in an awkward position. Give me a couple of minutes while I……..write you a bill of sale and get you the keys”. :smt003

I kinda miss it now that it’s gone. :smt010

r317.JPG
r317.JPG (133.03 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

Off Road
-----
-----

#413 Post by Off Road » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:10 am

This post is the long, long, long, drawn-out story with the details of what happened between strapping the RZ on the Dyno on Thursday night, and the final carb settings that the bike had on Sunday.

I wasn’t going to post it, because it’s really long and really dull, but it might be useful to someone, and since I already had it written, I’ll post away.

On Thurs., May 13/21, we ran the 87 RZ on the dyno.

Run #1 – 51.01HP and 29.98 ft/lb torque
DG Pipes, 26mm Power Jet carbs, 360 MJ, 27.5 PJ, needle on the 2nd clip

Bike was lean in the mid-range and on the top end.
Pulled the carbs to make changes and found that the needle was on the 2nd clip. WTF?
It should be the 4th clip, so I put it on the 4th clip, and went up 2 sizes on the MJ

Run 4 – 52.70 HP and 30.87 ft/lb torque
DG Pipes, 26mm Power Jet carbs, 380 MJ, 27.5 PJ, needle on the 4th clip

The bike made a strange/different sound in the midrange, but there was an improvement in both HP and torque, so we were going in the right direction, however, it still seemed to be a bit lean.
I didn’t have any 390 or 400 main jets, but I did have some 410 Toomey MJ’s that I got with my pipes.
We put in the 410 MJ’s and raised the needles to the 5th clip.

Run 7 – 52.54 HP and 30.88 ft/lb torque
DG Pipes, DG Pipes, 26mm Power Jet carbs, 410 MJ, 27.5 PJ, needle on the 5th clip

The HP and torque are almost identical to what I got with the 380 MJ.
However, the Air/Fuel ratio showed that the bike was running leaner with the 410 MJ’s, than it was with the 380’s.
And the motor still made a strange sound in the mid-range.
Well that’s interesting, but it was after 10 PM and we’d all had enough fun for 1 night, so we shut it down and went home.

I was the last one to leave the shop that night, and when I fired up the bike, it ran like crap.
It wouldn’t idle, and it had a huge stumble from 3000 to 5000 rpm.
At 5000 rpm the stumble changed to the normal 5k stutter.
At 5700 the bike cleared up and pulled really strong.
When I got home, I turned the pilot air screws 1/4 turn out, to see if it would increase the idle. It didn’t.
I took it to work on Friday and it ran the same way (lousy), so when I got home that night……..I took it apart.

Thursday night, while the bike was on the dyno, I took a quick glance at the dyno charts, but didn’t get a chance to really study them, because I was busy pulling carbs and changing jets.
When I got home and relaxed for a bit, I took a closer look to see if they could help explain why the bigger jets made the mixture leaner, and why the bike was running so bad.

One thing that bothered me was why the hell the needle clip was in the 2nd clip in the first place.
Did I have a brain fart when I installed the clip, and count the clip positions from the wrong end of the needle?
As I thought about it, it occurred to me that the needle clip position on the 86+ PJ carbs, was different than the non PJ carbs.
I checked the manual and sure enough, the stock clip position is #2.
I currently have the clip at #5, and the bike runs like crap at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. Go figure.

On the dyno, with clip position #2, the bike seemed to be lean, so I decided I’d put the clip in position #3.
While the carbs were apart, I took out the 410 Toomey MJ’s and put the 380 Mikuni MJ’s back in, because they gave me the richest air/fuel mixture at 9000+ rpm.

There were a few guys hanging out watching the dyno runs, to see if the bike would blow up, and they had some theories on why the engine is running leaner with the 410’s
1 – The petcock is not flowing enough fuel, and the float bowls are running dry.
2 – The big 410 Toomey jets don’t flow as much fuel as the smaller 380 Mikuni jets.
I’m leaning towards #2, so I ordered some 390, 400, and 410 Mikuni main jets.

****Since I first wrote this story, there are 2 more theories that have come up.
1 – We found that the filter on the Air/Fuel Analyzer is plugged and not reading correctly
2 – It’s possible that I didn’t have the choke cross-over tube on all the way****

On Sat., May 15/21, after getting off work, I went for a test ride with the 380 MJ’s and the needle on the 3rd clip.

The bike fired up first kick and after warming up for a couple of minutes, it settled into a nice idle.
That was a good sign.
I find it interesting that the needle position f*cks up the idle so bad.

The engine runs better, but not great.
It easily pulls away from a stop, and is a lot smoother between 3000 and 4000 rpm.
It still has a stumble from 4000 to 5000, a stutter 5000 to 5700, and is really strong over 6000.

Hmmm. What to do next.
A – Put the clip back to the #2 position (stock).
B – Put the clip back to the #2 position with a washer under the clip to raise the needle by 1/2 a clip.

Well, the dyno chart says #2 clip position is too lean, so I should try it with the washer.
But, on the dyno, that “lean” condition at 4500 rpm, is right after the dyno guy whacked the throttle WFO.
Is the #2 position still too lean when cruising, or gently running through the gears on slow residential streets?

I’ve got 3 other RZ’s with pipes and pod filters and All of them are running the clip in the stock position.
I have tried putting a washer under the clip, but found that the bike had a bad stumble at 4500 when it was accelerating.
It would cruise at 4500 just fine, but as soon as you gave it gas, the engine coughed and sputtered.
However, none of my other bikes are using the Power Jet carbs, so is that even relevant.

On Sun, May 16/21, I went for another test ride with the 380 MJ’s and the needle on the 2nd clip, right where the Yamaha manual says it should be.

It fired right up, had a good idle, and pulled nice and smooth fro 2000 to 5000 rpm.
There might be a slight stumble at 4500, but it’s really small. Hell it might just be my imagination.
Above 5000 rpm, there was no change. A stutter to 5700 and pulls hard from 6000 to 9500.
Ok, I’m happy
Someday, if I’m really bored and have absolutely nothing better to do, I may put a washer under the clip just too fully convince myself that it would be too rich in the mid-range.
But, for now, I’m done playing with the needles.

Next on list was pilot air screw adjustment. The Stock setting is1.5 turns out.
However, on my first ride on this bike, I found that this setting made it hard to pull away from a stop.
I had to give it a lot of throttle.
I turned the air screw in ¼ turn to 1.25 and it was much better.
All of the dyno runs were made with the air screw at 1.25 turns out.
After the dyno, I set the air screw to 1.5 turns and left it there while testing the #2 and #3 clip positions.
I did a few laps around the block with the air screw at 1.5 and then 1.25 turns out, and here’s what I found.

At 1.25 turns out
- When the bike is idling and you blip the throttle, the motor is somewhat slow to respond
- It does not require very much throttle to pull away from a stop. You can almost take off at an idle if you’re good at feathering the clutch.
- It’s very smooth, when gently accelerating from 2000 to 3000 rpm, in 3rd or 4th gear.

At 1.5 turns out
- When the bike is idling and you blip the throttle, the motor is really crisp and quickly picks up rpm
- You have to give it a bit more throttle to pull away from a stop, but once you’ve got it moving, it really takes off.
- There is a very slight stumble/stutter/hesitation when gently accelerating from 2000 to 3000 rpm.

Final Carb Settings for the 87 RZ with DG Pipes.
26 mm Power Jet Carbs, 380 MJ, Needle Clip #2, 27.5 PJ, Air Screw 1.5 turns out.

I would like to put in the bigger main jets when I get them.
If I feed that motor a bit more gas, I think I can get a dyno chart that says 53 point something HP. :smt003

I also think it would be a good idea to go up 1 size on the Pilot Jets, (from 27.5 to 30).
They’re cheap, so I ordered a set from the Yami dealer, and I’ll give them a try.

Darrell

#414 Post by Darrell » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:54 am

Thanks Off Road, just the kind of data I was looking for. I took off my K&N individual filters and replaced them with the Toomey 1-2 filter and found that I had to turn the air screw in significantly to keep the bike from bogging when the throttle is cracked open. Unfortunately for me, there is no bike dyno near by, and no nice straight road with no traffic either. So my jetting is being done seat of the pants. Your experience is helpful.
89 Canadian Spec RD-350
2013 BMW R1200RT
2007 Harley XL1200C Sportster
2008 Ducati 1098R
2015 Gas Gas 300 Trials bike
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z
Zastava Black Arrow .50 BMG

JonW

#415 Post by JonW » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 pm

great info, always worth seeing how others work through things so its a great post imho and very 'offroad' ie well documented and procedural. :)

Great news you sold the bike Steve, sad its gone but always good when a plan works out :)
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

Off Road
-----
-----

#416 Post by Off Road » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:54 am

JonW wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 pm sad its gone but always good when a plan works out :)
Bought the bike in May 2019. Was going to flip it quick to help fund the 2019 race season.
Paid too much for the bike in the first place, spent too much money fixing it, and spent waaaay to long getting it done.
So if the plan was to be over budget and behind schedule, then ya, it worked out great. :smt005

Off Road
-----
-----

#417 Post by Off Road » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:18 am

r295.JPG
r295.JPG (96.95 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
JonW wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:02 am Ohh, what's the new part...? A rocket booster for the drag bike?
Nothing that exiting. Just the 16’ wheel and new tire for the drag bike.

r309.JPG
r309.JPG (134.87 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
The new tire still looks small.

r310.JPG
r310.JPG (107.76 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

Off Road
-----
-----

#418 Post by Off Road » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:19 am

Doesn’t look much bigger when it’s on the bike.

r311.JPG
r311.JPG (111.12 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

The good news is that the front fender still fits. :smt003

r312.JPG
r312.JPG (115.72 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

Off Road
-----
-----

#419 Post by Off Road » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:19 am

I plan on using an 86+ RZ front fender, because, imo, it was the sexiest fender that was ever installed on a Japanese motorcycle.

r314.JPG
r314.JPG (110.65 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

Unfortunately, the fender that I have I my possession was in a somewhat serious accident, and it is cracked, broken and twisted.

r313.JPG
r313.JPG (78.48 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

Off Road
-----
-----

#420 Post by Off Road » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:20 am

I cut 2” off the front of the fender and about 4” off the back.
I made the mounting brackets by cutting down a stock 83 fender mounting bracket.
It’s not perfect, or good. Hell, it’s barely acceptable, but it still looks better than the 83 fender.

r315.JPG
r315.JPG (67.17 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
r316.JPG
r316.JPG (106.62 KiB) Viewed 1322 times