Interesting engine power loss over 7000rpm

A place for LC enthusiasts to hang out!

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Interesting engine power loss over 7000rpm

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Sat May 22, 2021 1:28 am

Put on the Microns to start the ride season with the bike at all stock settings last night. Noticed throttle response a touch sluggish during warm up in neutral thought idle was good at 1200rpm. Thought well its a warm up issue as the throttle response to 6000 rpm was crisp before tacking off. Initially the power band was ok but 10 minutes into the ride I was hearing the right side exhaust periodically cutting out between 7000-8000 rpm then rev up. Returned home to investigate: no air leaks on engine seals or carbs, cleared all carb passages (good), ok'd carb float levels and proper carb slide direction, balanced carbs, checked carb caps and cables - good. Yet when I rev'd it up to past 7000 rpm the right side pipe would cut out just like it was under load. Ck'd clearance of air box/carb boot sealing - good. Found left side spark plug cap a little loose and decided to replace both to match the new cap's resistance. Warmed up the bike again and found the right side exhaust again cut out above 7000 rpm while parked. Could the original CDI or right spark plug wire be the issue? Mechanically I don't know what else to investigate.