Primary gear drive rivets

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Re: Primary gear drive rivets

#16 Post by LC Cnd » Sun May 15, 2022 6:44 pm

Cut a piece of steel bar as a backing to the inside of the basket. JB welded a shim on top of the bar to fit the diameter of the rivet head. The whole process worked quite well - thx to Silverstrom suggestions. Easily a two person job I discovered.
Attachments
IMG_4930.JPG
IMG_4930.JPG (22.41 KiB) Viewed 817 times

Bare

#17 Post by Bare » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:26 pm

Hows it working out? Oem Rubber pucks are one large one small.
AND the oem.... Factory new... Radial (twist) play tolerance is 4 to 6mm ... by Design/intent.
Wondering just how many Rubber pucks have been replaced needlessly ?

silverstrom

#18 Post by silverstrom » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:30 pm

Bare wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:26 pm Hows it working out? Oem Rubber pucks are one large one small.
AND the oem.... Factory new... Radial (twist) play tolerance is 4 to 6mm ... by Design/intent.
Wondering just how many Rubber pucks have been replaced needlessly ?
What? :smt017

You're saying all of the clutch baskets with perfectly tight primary driven gears are actually bad, while all of the clutch baskets that have primary driven gears with circumferential play are good?

The manual is absolutely clear on this. Check circumferential play. Free play exists---replace.

The original dampers shrink and crack over time with use. That's why they seem to fall out when you separate the primary driven gear. I suspect the two different sizes was to speed assembly, and nothing more.

Bare

#19 Post by Bare » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:52 pm

What Manual ?? Mine read differently. Regardless of belief.. these contraptions were Designed... to have Rotational play 4 to 6mm worth, from New.
The holes are Larger than the OEM Pucks, for reason and one bung is smaller for the specific purpose of allowing progressive take up.
Unless.. retrofitting Cheap Chinese imitation bungs.
Which are so badly copied that they made Both bungs the same size.. to economise on Mfg costs.
Correctly betting on their twit customers being to be too dim to notice.

silverstrom

#20 Post by silverstrom » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:24 pm

Obviously I mean the factory manual Bare, but you don't really care do you? You just want to be confrontational, as always.

Page 3-23 of this Yamaha manual. Step #9. It will be the same for all model years.

Where is your information source?

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#21 Post by LC Cnd » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:24 pm

Haven't had the bike out for a test run yet due to carb issues. I did note that the free play was removed once the clutch basket was assembled.