R1 dash conversion

Got some stuff you need to move out? Do it here! Please, NO vendors

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

JonW

R1 dash conversion

#1 Post by JonW » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:39 am

Over the years Ive collected a bunch of parts to do the 2000/2001 R1 dash conversion for our bikes.

IMHO this is a much nicer dash than an aftermarket and of course, its OEM Yam.

I followed the very long 'R1 How To' thread on this forum and a lot of the work is done.
viewtopic.php?t=1289

In the ‘kit’ is:
- 2001 UK R1 dash - switches between miles and Kms (its KMs in the pic). Low miles at 23k. Nice and clean. No damage.
- Baker ATSDr (adjustable version, not the cheaper fixed version) tacho signal modifier NEW, NLA now
http://www.bakerelectronix.com/products_tsd/
- Speedo Healer V4 unit
- Speedo healer speed sensor
- Original R1upper dash loom, trimmed to what is needed and the rest removed. Connection info written on (should be checked before use)
- 2 x R1 relay with plug and loom, for plugging in oil / fuel senders etc
- R1 water temp sender, fits our heads
- speedo sender bracket template I made, with test bracket
- some paperwork for the units and conversion wiring, plus i’ll send you all the extra info i have saved up on email

Ive had this a long time and to be honest I'd almost forgotten about it. Its pretty complete and all the exy parts are there.

Some of this is new and some is used, I cant promise its all perfectly working and that you wont need to buy something else. Ive no reason to think any of the boxes or wires are bad, but being real, youre buying a partially completed project etc.

The dash has only been partially tested, it powered up fine but i do remember I couldnt spin the sprocket close enough holding my drill to prove anything. Nik Fubar (who had experience of this unit) told me I needed to spin it very close to the sensor (sub 3mm) and of course i was hand holding it, not ideal with a spinny toothy thing. Anyway, certainly none of the special Yam specific smoke came out etc. :)

Anyway, all that said there is a lot of stuff here and a lot of small electronics which are easy to blow etc. Some has been tested and some not. If someone wants to take on the project and finish it then its yours for (in todays world, a bit of a bargain considering the individual parts cost over the years) US$325 as selling ‘as is’.

Shipping… I’ll need to check exactly, but I think about US$50ish from Aus, plus your choice on insurance.

pics…
(I probably should have cleaned the dash lol, its a bit dusty in the crevices :/ )

80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

kpke
-----
-----

Re: R1 dash conversion

#2 Post by kpke » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 am

Nice kit there Jon. That is a great deal. Funny, I bought an R1 dash probably 12 years ago to do the conversion. It sits in a box still. I don't have all the additional parts like you have. Was thinking about selling it off. GLWS

JonW

Re: R1 dash conversion

#3 Post by JonW » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:04 pm

Thanks Ken. R1 parts have gone through the roof the past few years as the 00/01 bikes became classics. Nice low milage gauges are in demand, Im sure you'll have no problem selling. I hate to think what I have in this set of parts considering all the shipping from round the world, but it needs to go or be used... which is my plan B :)
(plan C is selling the bits off individually, not what i want to do lol)
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com