I can't hold back any longer, things are taking shape...

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Kazz

#61 Post by Kazz » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:42 am

I thought it was a TDR but know see its a cobbled together banshee motor in a CR chassis. Cool idea. Looks a little ratty though.

caetano62

updates

#62 Post by caetano62 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Hey kazz,

any updates on this project? It´s summer for you so you must be out riding...

cheers,
Brian

Kazz

#63 Post by Kazz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:20 pm

I actually got a little excited about it yesterday but I have a few other things to finish before I can get started on it again. I've been busy with a '69 International Scout and a restoration on a '64 Scout.
This is the '69, 4" lift and Dana 44's with 37 inch swampers. V8 four speed powered. I installed power steering and a Hydroboost power brake setup. It was alot of work this summer...

I am restoring this '64 Scout. 31 inch swampers and a 4" lift. It has a 152 cubic inch four cylinder and 3 speed trans. It is almost ready for paint. This is an old picture, but it wasn't in too bad of shape when I picked it up.

motoholic71

#64 Post by motoholic71 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:27 am

Hi guys I' ve been scrolling thru this post and you got me thinking about something that might increase your performance.How fast do you get on a supermoto like the one you're building?reason I ask is that I believe one should use the banhee gear tranny on something like this.If you compare the gear ratios you can see why.The banshee box is totally linear,every gears have the same drop in ratio between them,while the RZ starts with a big step from 1st to 2nd and this step becomes smaller the further you shift to the point of having such small difference from 5th to 6th that the engine only drops like 400rpm.This was meant to keep the engine in peak power band when facing very strong wind resistance at top speed.You might be wasting usage of the last 3 speeds ending up with a "4 speed" engine.the RD box is like a inverted logarithmic while the banshee is linear just like any other dirt bike.Doesn't sound right a dirt bike with a road race box And the big thrill is that all you need to convert it are the gear shafts with gears,all forks and selector is the same...this is just a thought I wish you all the success whatever way you choose but I hope this will help someone
only wish I had the means to do something of the sort... :smt012
Ask me about the new free App i-wipe 2.0, the app that replaces toilet paper

caetano62

banshee tranny

#65 Post by caetano62 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Nice trucks. I´m crazy for a Toyota Bandeirante here in Brazil. It´s basically an older Land Cruiser with a Mercedes diesel.

I agree a banshee tranny sounds like a better match for a tight motard track. In Brazil we run on kart tracks which are really tight. A banshee motor, without power valves, simplified electrics and no oil injection sounds great. I really want to try on some day.

Cheers,

motoholic71

#66 Post by motoholic71 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:25 am

Hey no I meant YPVS cilinders with all periferics on a banshee gearbox... :smt002

Kazz

#67 Post by Kazz » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:56 am

I thought about that banshee trans as well, but I want to ride this bike around town and on the highway as well as track days. The only track we have close is a tight kart track, I've ran my 350 on it and geared it down to suit, It uses 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear and I don't think I would want to gear change any more on that track. I also have been to a larger track with my 350 and my TL1000s race bike. The front straight there was good for around 240km/hr on my TL but not sure about the RZ (no speedo) I am sure I was in top gear, and it was geared a little lower than stock if I remember right. I guess I would have to compare the ratio's and see. Mabye You can mix and match the gears for a nice compromise. Or a real nice close ratio set-up for racing. I have always found the RZ top gear to high, like an overdrive.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#68 Post by aaronmvrider » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:10 pm

i agree on the overdrive point you really need to be doing some speeds to justify being in top gear
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

motoholic71

#69 Post by motoholic71 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:19 pm

I also thought about combining gears from both bikes in the same engine.the gears fit no problem but 1st gear on RZ is like 3rd gear on the banshee,so the outcome is no good.RZ box is somewhat all taller than banshees.But it's a good mode for a trail or enduro or even desert bike with powervalves kinda like TDR250.If I win the lottery I build one(I live in Portugal no money here :smt005 :smt005

funkngruvin78

Rz Motard

#70 Post by funkngruvin78 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Kazz,

I'd really like to see all the pix you have of this bike. Awesome handy work. I want to really build one now.

Andre

Kazz

#71 Post by Kazz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:31 am

Wow, this is an old thread. I really have been slacking. Been updating the bike a little bit. Mostly working with some two-stroke software and trying to get a good pipe design. I think I have one that will work well, but ultimately a little R&D will have to happen also. I now have the cylinders ported and came up with 202 degree's exhaust duration and 132 transfer duration. I added some Boyesen ports too. I want this motor to come on the pipe fairly hard and pull good up top. So the pipe design is targeted at 10500rpm but according to Mota I ended up with a peak at 10800rpm I know its jsut a simulator but we will see how close it is when the bike is running. I will post some pics, not alot of new ones. I will have to go through the thread and see where I am at. I just ordered some new graphics for it and have everything needed to finish. Just time to get it done.

This is the pipe I have been working on, getting it to fit around the cylinders and under the seat. Not a problem really, just some changes to get it to fit tight. They are definatley going to stick out the sides...

Kazz

#72 Post by Kazz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:47 am

This is a shot of the front where I hade to fab up a downtube section that attached to the (torsion bars) and front engine mount. It uses the stock RZ bracket and stock torsion bars, although I would like to get some aluminum ones made that are a little lighter.

I will have to update my photobucket page with some more pics...

Going to try a few different things with this motor and see what happens. I have been hanging out over at the Macdizzy site. Lots of info and ideas over there.

Kazz

#73 Post by Kazz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 am

Some more

Had to weld up the nozzles on the rads and change them to fit. Once I get these fitted and see how it cools, I am going to build my own high capacity rads. I bought a set for my KX 500 and they work great, but I think I can make them myself if I can find some of the core sections the right length. Actually they are a bit different lengths from one side to the other and the left side is real close to the YPVS cables on the cylinder. Need to find some 90's for the cable fittings like a carb...

One of the Y section, it looks a little weak but there is a pipe running across the top of the motor and sheeted in, might add some gussets here and there.

I had these exhaust flanges cut out with a water-jet, then a buddy machined them and added the o-ring groove.

Subframe

Rear engine mount. The motor comes out just like the RZ frame.

I bought a HotRods long rod crank from TDR and have some WSM pistons. I have the Ignitech ignition/flywheel/stator kit from TSS and some Vforce reeds and a Chariot performance intake for the 35mm carbs. I have some 19cc and 16cc domes for the cool head. I am a little worried about the crank, but should stand up for a while anyway. I have been spending alot of time with the Mota software for a pipe design and I think I have it narrowed down. Bought a sheet of 20 ga. so I guess its time to fab the pipes. realistically it should be done sometime this year, hopefully sooner than later. Just for kicks, this is a simulation of the motor I am building compared to some other motors. I know, its just simulator design, but I think its great for learning how different changes affect power output and characteristics. I haven't been able to get the KX 500 power curve properly since the bike is running and I can't tear into it to get the right inputs, its close but down on hp. Check out the YZ 80's graph. LOL...

Even if it's close to the estimate I think I will be happy.

Kazz

#74 Post by Kazz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:53 am

This is a graph showing my pipe design, the lower hp line is an old pipe design that I actually built and ran with. We will see how the new pipe design works when I get it on the dyno. Basically it is Bell's formula with some changes to the 1st stage diffuser and run through Mota untill I got what I wanted. Time will tell. I bought Mota mostly for the cone building software which is great. If you want to build pipes, this is the easy way out as far as cutting patterns for a curved cone section.

ax-racing

#75 Post by ax-racing » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Great Work !
Alex