In praise of the bike and car culture of Cuba.

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

rzrej

In praise of the bike and car culture of Cuba.

#1 Post by rzrej » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:09 am

Haha these guys are nuts, in a such a good way. They love their cars and bikes, and 2 strokes. I did a one week work trip and toured around Holguin a bit. Took a few pics.
My phone camera is rattling around inside so I was having issues. Dropped it one too many times.

Gotta start off with this gem. At first blush, pun tended lol, it's got quite a garish color..........unless a hot woman came out and jumped on and rode away.
Said Jawa on the case, 350 perhaps? Any experts out there on these? I'd love to hear about them, I know it's on the inter webs but personal real experience always better......has aftermarket wheels, brakes, forks I imagine, rear hugger, pipes etc. Body work etc I have no idea if stock. Didn't see the owner anywhere.

Image20190325_113447-1_resizedcuba2019 by ed, on Flickr

This one said MZ250, single. Looks new,er? I only traveled on a 180k stretch of their roads, through a bunch of small towns and road conditions varied from decent to terrible. A few k's of nice curves where these small 2 strokes would shine.

Image20190325_100154_resizedcuba2019 by ed, on Flickr

Wasn't sure what this one was, we were behind him for a bit......also the 56 Chev in front.

Image20190325_104907_resizedcuba2019 by ed, on Flickr

Driver stopped to talk to a cop buddy, I think it was a Vtwin jobbie, Virago 250 perhaps? I think the hot pink Jawa would leave it in the dust lol. Oops I just relooked at the pic, zoomed in and saw a Suzuki sticker on the fork leg. Who knows?

Image20190325_094413-1_resizedcuba2019 by ed, on Flickr

The cars;

Now this is not breaking news, everyone knows about the Cubans for their knack and skill at keeping these old cars on the road. I was told that only the outer shell is original. They put diesels in them......................this red one in front of us was staying ahead of us easily, we were in a Mitsubishi little diesel 4x4 truck. No speed demon but he was rockin 120 in spots. I watched it on corners and it wasn't pitching and yawing like yacht, stayed sorta level, had exhaust, nice wheels.

Image20190325_092111_resizedcuba2019 by ed, on Flickr

I saw this 57 Ford and trying to get my camera working. Got the ass end of it, it was nice too. Lots of old Ladas and other random stuff.

Image20190325_104109_resizedcuba2019 by ed, on Flickr

This was on old 53? Ford I think, didn't get a good look at it. They do crazy stuff, make ''Suburban'' type vehicles out of different cars and some of them aren't half bad. With all due respect to the super limited tools and resources. But they love this shit, in such a oppressive country I guess it's their only fun and a bit of ''fuck you'' that is all entirely IMO. It does look back yard type work because that's all they have. Didn't get enough pics for sure.

Image20190325_084402_resizedcuba2019 by ed, on Flickr

The Suzuki GN125 was common and quite a number of scooters, also sidecars!! These guys throw a hack on anything, safe? Can't comment but their ingenuity is really nice to see. Bless em.

Questo vecchio rz

Re: In praise of the bike and car culture of Cuba.

#2 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:41 pm

That's awesome!
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500