Zeeltronic Yay or nay?

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

sam_e787

Zeeltronic Yay or nay?

#1 Post by sam_e787 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:27 pm

Hey guys, just wondering if a zeeltronic is worth it for RZ350 '84.

Pros and Cons?

Thanks.

Yellow and Black RZ

Re: Zeeltronic Yay or nay?

#2 Post by Yellow and Black RZ » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:40 pm

For anyone whose CDI goes out its a yay.
Programmable timing curves. Yay.
Programmable power valve timing. Yay.

Curious what the nays would be.
Maybe a nah would be it’s not original.
'85 RRZ350 - Hacked.

JonW

#3 Post by JonW » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:05 pm

no nah's from me... I have a few in my bikes.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

(F5)

#4 Post by (F5) » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:47 am

Ignitech are a great product and easy to use.
496 Cheetah. TSS PVs, PWK35s, Ignitech, RGV(ish) chassis

evan_calgary

#5 Post by evan_calgary » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:19 pm

Yay to zeel. I see no downside and the cost is totally reasonable. Save a few bucks buying direct for Borut in Europe.

MK

#6 Post by MK » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:31 pm

An easy and reliable +3-4 kW more power - BIG yay
Not needing the unreliable source coils when using the DC CDI versions - another big yay
Being able to upshift without clutch - another yay from me. (optional feature; requires sensor in the shift rod)

Just take care it's a PDCI (the DC type) and not a PCDI (which requires the source coils working).

The Ignitech DC CDI P2 is technically on the same level if you're looking for an alternative.

Only downside for both is really that it's not plug and play, i.e. you have to cut & crimp plugs after reading and understanding the wiring diagram.
Not a big thing for some - a Mount Everest for others. So just add some mounting/setup costs if you are double left handed...
Bye
Martin

jrodenhiser

#7 Post by jrodenhiser » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:29 pm

I set these up for the RZ, pre programmed, just wire and go. Simple plug and play option for guys that don't want to program. I got so many calls for replacements for the 84 crap cdi's but a lot guys don't want to program so we came up with this solution. These use the 31K stock Yamaha curve and I can set the rev limiter wherever you want it, just let me know when you order.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamah ... ogramming/

steveloomis
-----
-----

#8 Post by steveloomis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:36 pm

I just saw the post from Economy Cycle about programming the Zeel for you. Great Idea!!!. Once programmed, not much need to change. Yeah, It is fun to try different settings and I did just that. I always went back to the stock advance settings and pv setting. Works very well.

I've not been on this site much since My Wife got sick. My son's are busy cleaning up my LC with RZ engine with intentions of riding come spring. Hi to everyone I used to communicate in the past. Special Hi to Silverstrom.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

kpke
-----
-----

#9 Post by kpke » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:30 am

Nice to see you back Steve. :smt006 You've helped me a lot in the past.

So sorry to hear of your wife being ill.

Redline Junkie
-----
-----

#10 Post by Redline Junkie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 pm

Welcome back Steve
1985 RZ350F being restored now!
1987 RZ350 Stock
1985 RZ350F basket case
1985 RZ500 Stock

steveloomis
-----
-----

#11 Post by steveloomis » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:18 pm

I think the biggest advantage of the Zeel is since it is microprocessor controlled, the advance curve and PV setting are perfect and not relying on aging resistor, capacitor values for timing. I just started my LC with RZ engine yesterday after more than 8 years of being parked inside. At first it had no spark. I then cleaned all connectors in the wiring harness and used Boshield anti corrosion cleaner on then. I now have a bright Blue spark. Bike started right up. In the process I took the carbs off and looked at the emulsion tubes. Carbs were spotless clean as I ran it last and parked using 100 Low Lead aviation gas as it never turns to varnish. Same with lawn tools, last run, use aviation gas and come spring, starts right up.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

silverstrom

#12 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:36 pm

jrodenhiser wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:29 pm Image

I set these up for the RZ, pre programmed, just wire and go. Simple plug and play option for guys that don't want to program. I got so many calls for replacements for the 84 crap cdi's but a lot guys don't want to program so we came up with this solution. These use the 31K stock Yamaha curve and I can set the rev limiter wherever you want it, just let me know when you order.

Are you able to offer the Zeel unit with the correct ignition curve for the two later CDIs, or is it just the first series you are going to cover?

pdxjim

#13 Post by pdxjim » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:21 pm

jrodenhiser wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:29 pm Image

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a PCDI-10T for my LC.

Do you offer any pre-programming for that unit, or does Borut send them out set up and ready to rip?

I know they come with a few curves loaded in already, I assume I need to buy the controller or map switch to cycle between the pre-programmed curves?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. RD350LC, TDR250, plated 300XCW. No four strokes.

jrodenhiser

#14 Post by jrodenhiser » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:58 pm

yes they're pre programmed and ready to go and yes though we sell it as "no programming required" you can get the programmer and program your ign curve, rev limiter, etc. It comes with the 31K RZ curve preloaded and can only be changed with the programmer. You can switch between 2 curves with the map switch.

MK

#15 Post by MK » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:12 pm

I hardly can't stop grinning when people ask for one or another "curve" on a fully programmable ignition.

Man, it's PROGRAMMABLE! That means you can get ANY curve you want either by getting a programming cable, a handheld or just sending it to the vendor.
(BTW the Ignitech just requires a PC and a 15$ cable).

And it's no big deal. Either the Ignitech or the Zeeltronic can be programmed by "loading" files which can be easily exchanged via email. If you don't dare, you could read out the current state, send it to an expert and get back something better.
A smart dealer would introduce a kind of rental service, where you make a deposit, get send the handheld and then send it back after you programmed what you wanted and get back the deposit minus a rental fee.

And to add to my already bad reputation: All stock curves are crap. It doesn't matter which one you pick.

A decent raise in advance already gives you 3-4 kW compared to the stock CDI, a changed PV actuation also adds in the 3kW range.
Bye
Martin