Let's talk decals!

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

kobra

Let's talk decals!

#1 Post by kobra » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:08 pm

I have come to terms with needing to redo my RZ bodywork to complete the project since the rest of the bike is nice. The front and tail fairings are in great condition, but the side panels are both cracked and the tank needs a complete repaint and some dent work. It probably makes sense to redo everything (even though the front fairing is 98% perfect).

I am looking for decals and came across Diablo Cycles, which seems reputable. I got a few questions though. Has anyone used them, and are they as good as OE? It's a pet peeve of mine when the decals are the wrong size or color on a restoration, or have that pixelated look as if they were printed out of MS Paint...

Also one thing I am unclear about is if they are pre-cut or you need to do that yourself. Seems like a challenge.

And if they can be clear coated over. I wonder if it makes sense to clearcoat the front/tail/side fairings to make them more durable even though they aren't clearcoated in stock form.

They only offer the 50-state color scheme with segmented red stripes (my NC version is a solid red strip) but I am okay with that, because I like the classic segmented look better.

Thanks for any input! :smt041

evan_calgary

Re: Let's talk decals!

#2 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:40 pm

Just go to RdDecals. They are good and proper reproductions. Ive done every color scheme of RZ with their decals. They are true to the oiginals. Yes the RdDecal ones can be cleared over. The finish is much better when this is done.

For sny vintage project be it Yamaha, Kawi or Suzuki I will go to them first and am annoyed if I have to use another supplier as the quality is rarely as good.

My biggest complaint with all the vintage reproduction companies is they are not using the latest tech in decals which helps prevent bubbles.

kobra

#3 Post by kobra » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:09 am

Thanks for the rec! They have the correct graphics for my bike, and seem like they have a good reputation.

Now to decide whether to do this myself or have a painter do it. It's only 2 colors, decal, and clear, but.... no clean room.

JonW

#4 Post by JonW » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:15 am

Ive been painting 4 of my bikes the past few months, its been very hard work indeed. Ive now done all the colour and clear on the panels, tanks are just colour. Im still wet sanding and compounding before i move on... Next is the decals and the satin on the back of the panels. Then tanks get cleared... Fully faired bikes really suck with all that bashed, brittle and broken bodywork thats been painted with all sorts over the years, just saying...
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

evan_calgary

#5 Post by evan_calgary » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:13 am

Yes, yes they do. Matching speedblocks and paint lines across fairings is also not much fun!