RZ 350 spark

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Skiman250

RZ 350 spark

#1 Post by Skiman250 » Wed May 11, 2022 12:51 pm

Hello everyone, My 84 RZ350 US model will not continue to run, more than a few seconds . Kick like hell on center stand and it fires than runs for a very short time .Then maybe 30 min.later starts for another 4 seconds. At first I thought it was fuel issue.I cleaned everything ,cabs etc to looking like new. After it quite ,taking the new plugs out , I Then I realized it has no spark. Every once in a while it has spark ,then nothing. Also the spark is weak when it does work as it will not take any gas above idle. I checked every connection ,kill switch and ground . Even bypassed the ignition switch ,same thing 4 or 5 seconds of run time.
Thanks Richard

(F5)

Re: RZ 350 spark

#2 Post by (F5) » Thu May 12, 2022 6:15 am

Easy. Stator needs rewind, low speed coil.
496 Cheetah. TSS PVs, PWK35s, Ignitech, RGV(ish) chassis

silverstrom

#3 Post by silverstrom » Thu May 12, 2022 12:28 pm

Sounds more like the typical 29K-50 CDI cold solder joint failure.

kpke
-----
-----

#4 Post by kpke » Fri May 13, 2022 9:23 am

silverstrom wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:28 pm Sounds more like the typical 29K-50 CDI cold solder joint failure.
Could very well be. My 83 would start and run and get a mile or two from home and start spitting and coughing and backfiring. It really felt like a fueling problem but was intermittent. Changing out the CDI (to another "working" 29K) fixed the problem.

Skiman250

#5 Post by Skiman250 » Tue May 17, 2022 5:28 pm

Thanks everyone , I was thinking stator as my first thought ,I wasn't sure. Cdi will be my second thing to try .
Thank You

Bald Anthony

#6 Post by Bald Anthony » Wed May 18, 2022 12:24 am

Sounds familiar. It was my CDI and RZ's Unlimited repaired it. 5.5 years later no problem.

BA

MK

#7 Post by MK » Wed May 18, 2022 10:28 am

As usual I'd recommend a DC CDI in any case as
- it doesn't matter, if it was the stator or CDI
- it costs not much more than the price of repairing/replacing just one of them
- it adds the same amount of HP than a decent set of pipes
Bye
Martin

krrzowner

#8 Post by krrzowner » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:43 pm

OK guys, heres my 2 cents worth. I also have NO spark on my 84 KR RZ. Read all about "fixing" or "repairing" it. Clamping a block of wood around it, really ???

These things are almost 40 year old technology !!! Plus are designed for running a bike with cats !!
Some guys put them in an oven to repair, You kiddin me ?? Cary told me he can fix it "without" opening it, ?? really ??? Id bet on that !!
Cut the case open and re-solder, You kiddin me ?

I just spent 3 hours trying to open the case cause I'm one of those curious guys that cant be told I cannot fix something. Well, I proved myself wrong !!!
You aint gettin that case open smothered in all that silicone, I don't care how smart you are or handy ! Cannot be done !!!

SO..... I'm just calling Ed Toomey and getting one pre programmed and ready to wire sent to me ! A bit spendy, but now days, what isn't ???

Ill let you know how it goes. Only 2 things an IC engine needs to run, spark and fuel, of course air. Oh, and compression.

brrrappp

#9 Post by brrrappp » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:59 pm

krrzowner wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:43 pm OK guys, heres my 2 cents worth. I also have NO spark on my 84 KR RZ. Read all about "fixing" or "repairing" it. Clamping a block of wood around it, really ???

These things are almost 40 year old technology !!! Plus are designed for running a bike with cats !!
Some guys put them in an oven to repair, You kiddin me ?? Cary told me he can fix it "without" opening it, ?? really ??? Id bet on that !!
Cut the case open and re-solder, You kiddin me ?

I just spent 3 hours trying to open the case cause I'm one of those curious guys that cant be told I cannot fix something. Well, I proved myself wrong !!!
You aint gettin that case open smothered in all that silicone, I don't care how smart you are or handy ! Cannot be done !!!

SO..... I'm just calling Ed Toomey and getting one pre programmed and ready to wire sent to me ! A bit spendy, but now days, what isn't ???

Ill let you know how it goes. Only 2 things an IC engine needs to run, spark and fuel, of course air. Oh, and compression.
There was a nice youtube video showing the process of identifying the joint to be re-soldered, soldering and re-install. The link was posted in this forum a year or 2 ago by Silverstrom. In the same thread, there was a diagram posted with a measurement of exactly where you need to cut the CDI to avoid damage.
The reason that some people clamp a block to the CDI is that pressing on the CDI box externally simply forces the broken joint to make contact.
Silerstrom posted this link back in Oct 2021 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7OG8v94eBU

brrrappp

#10 Post by brrrappp » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:15 pm