Still runs after key off

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Pridanc

Still runs after key off

#1 Post by Pridanc » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:58 am

OK folks, In my attempts to freshen a new for me RZ350, I swapped out the wiring harness as this one had been butchered. No question a few wires had to move moved around in the connectors as well as a few wires having to be terminated but yesterday she fired right up! Sadly I missed something since she won't shut down when I turn off ignition! (Or hit kill switch or disconnect the battery.) So I missed something and the coil is still getting juice from the alternator. I know I can find it but has anyone had this and can tell me where to look? I'm all in for saving some time. Sheesh but I fit the bill "stupid is as stupid does". Many thanks in advance.

MK

Re: Still runs after key off

#2 Post by MK » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:41 am

When talking about stock CDI's: Depending on the year, there's basically two wires to check.
31K (83&84) and 1WW (86+) have a black-white cable on the CDI. The ignition switch and the kill switch connect that cable to ground.
The harness also has a black-white cable that exits near the CDI.
If you unplug that and measure resistance at the harness side against the frame (or battery minus), the value should be infinite with ignition on and "close to zero" with ignition off or killswitch off.

The 85 model does not have the black/white cable. It's the red-white on the CDI that gets grounded.
(that's the source coils that have red/green/brown on the other models - in 85 its changed to red/white / green / brown)
Measurement is similar, just that you measure the counterpart of the red/white one.
Caution: red/white means it's a red cable with a white stripe. There's also a white cable with a red stripe...
Bye
Martin