Best aftermarket ignition system

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

TN-592

Best aftermarket ignition system

#1 Post by TN-592 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:53 pm

Hello,
I am having troubles with my stock ignition system so I am forced to buy a new one.......any recommendations for a full ignition kit?

MK

Re: Best aftermarket ignition system

#2 Post by MK » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 pm

"Best" is strongly dependent on your individual performance specification.

Usually people buy an Ignitech DC CDI P2 or a Zeeltronic PDCI. Both are DC CDIs, which means you just need a stable 12V supply and a pickup to operate them.
In the US there's a plug & play kit available from Ed Toomey.
As your flywheel is damaged, you'd need a new YPVS flywheel. Any part from 1983 to present will do. (Without magnets you won't have a 12V supply)

If you're after "complete" systems with rotor/stator/CDI, you may have a look at the HPI and Vape systems (unfortunately mostly without PV operation)

Mark Dent from the UK would offer something but that'll require very deep pockets: http://www.performancefab.co.uk/generator
(this will work with the mentioned Ignitech units which you can also get from there)
Bye
Martin

abar121

#3 Post by abar121 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:02 pm

DCCDIP1 or the DCCDIP1 Race from ignitech, is what they recommend, as it's running wasted spark.

I have the race version, working great. They will also fit most of the connectors for you for a small charge.

MK

#4 Post by MK » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:17 am

All Ignitech units can be run with or without wasted spark. It's a matter of the software settings and modification of one of the two flywheel lobes or installing a second pickup.

Using a 2 channel CDI offers the possibility for two independent coils (which is a good thing). Using only one channel on the stock coil offers a nice build-in spare part: If the CDI fails, hook it up to channel #2 and it may work again.

In my opinion the race CDIs do not offer any advantage for normal road use. In contrary they have more settings (which you don't use) that are rather complicated for the standard user.
Plus the standard boxes are cheaper. That's why I usually prefer the standard P2 unit.
It's different for ambitious race use where you may wanted things like different interrupt timing for the shifter
(And yes, I do have installed a couple of CDI and TCI P2, P4 and Race units, so I dare say I know what I'm talking about)

BTW: The Toomey kit uses the P2 Race version, but here you buy a plug & play kit, so you normally don't have to use the software as a customer.
Bye
Martin

(F5)

#5 Post by (F5) » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:12 am

The non race version ignitech is fine and still has several channels for quick shifter, shift light, det input etc.
496 Cheetah. TSS PVs, PWK35s, Ignitech, RGV(ish) chassis

thumper580

#6 Post by thumper580 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:40 am

I bought one from Ed Toomey. It has a improved curve in it for pipes and air filter. Works great.
1985 RZ350
2000 Ducati 996S
WERA V2 National Champion