Mystery Oil Puddle Gray Ghost RZ Solved

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

75RD350rider

Mystery Oil Puddle Gray Ghost RZ Solved

#1 Post by 75RD350rider » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:28 pm

Day before yesterday I took the Gray Ghost RZ out for a romp through the Valley. It ran great and at the last intersection before the house I accelerated vigorously in 1st resulting in a near vertical power wheelie (actually a little further up than I am comfortable with). Made it home unscathed and parked it in the shop. Then I went on with my day.
Yesterday while walking by it in the shop I noted a puddle of oil under the center stand. I got out my dryer box cardboard creeper and my initial inspection revealed transmission oil all over the back of the engine, dripping off the center stand and a drop hanging off of the pipes.
Further investigation determined no vent hose anywhere to be seen and for the life of me I couldn't find the vent as I never had a need to know where it was.
I contacted M in SC and he sent me a picture of the microfiche that shows it is in the case between the aft motor mount. With all the covers and the chainguard in place it is hard to touch and impossible to see. I was out of play time so I went inside for the day.
This morning before work I got the seat, left sidecover and chain guard off and with a mirror and a very bright light I was able to see the case nipple intact.
I went through my hose stash and located a suitable hose and was able to push it on with a very long set of needle nose pliers. Then just like I do on Kawasaki Triples, I routed it up and away then down the LH frame rail with the outlet positioned above the chain. I verified the passage was open with safety wire before I put the hose on. This should prevent any further shenanigans of this nature.
Thanks to M in SC for the help and advice. I am very thankful that oil didn't get on the tire and kill me.
The moral of the story is make sure you have a vent hose if you are going to pull a big wheelie.
I love the smell of Blue Marble in the morning!
Tim Steele in Front Royal, VA