Can I add this???

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

lazerfloyd

Can I add this???

#1 Post by lazerfloyd » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:19 am

I found an electric fan that may fit for the radiator of my RZ... but according to the manufacturer, the current draw is 6.3 amps. I was going to wire it on a new separate circuit, directly to the battery terminals, with its own in-line fuse and manual on/off switch. I have heard that the electrical power generated by the bike doesn't leave much room for accessory power, but am not sure how much more I can squeeze out of it? Would this fan put me over the edge? I still have the stock headlight, taillight, turn signals...
'85 U.S. Model RZ350NCII
Stock barrels, no porting, 1st overbore, 125psi comp. Toomey re-issue pipes, 2-1 filter, V-Force 3 reeds, Stock VM26SS carbs, 30 pilots, Toomey garbage needle on 6th clip, 480 mains, Zeeltronic ignition - stock ignition curve.

T.RexRacing

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:57 am

I don't know about the draw but some guys are running fans.I would wire it through a relay though.

lazerfloyd

#3 Post by lazerfloyd » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:48 am

Good point about the relay. I wasn't sure what the role of the relay was at first (hope no one read my first response to your post haha...). I'll definitely incorporate one into the circuit. Believe it or not I actually got an "A" in an electrical physics class in college?

The amperage of the fan I'm looking at seems to be in line with the fuse ratings of other things on the bike (headlight, signals)... and it's made for use on motorcycles... should I go for it?
'85 U.S. Model RZ350NCII
Stock barrels, no porting, 1st overbore, 125psi comp. Toomey re-issue pipes, 2-1 filter, V-Force 3 reeds, Stock VM26SS carbs, 30 pilots, Toomey garbage needle on 6th clip, 480 mains, Zeeltronic ignition - stock ignition curve.

T.RexRacing

#4 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Sure.What the worst that could happen?
Image [smilie=crazy.gif]

smurph

#5 Post by smurph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:56 pm

T, you are a nut! :smt003
Fuel Injected RZ350

T.RexRacing

#6 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:52 pm

yeah and you're the first one to say that. :smt016

350Bfine

Re: Can I add this???

#7 Post by 350Bfine » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:54 pm

lazerfloyd wrote:I found an electric fan that may fit for the radiator of my RZ... but according to the manufacturer, the current draw is 6.3 amps. I was going to wire it on a new separate circuit, directly to the battery terminals, with its own in-line fuse and manual on/off switch. I have heard that the electrical power generated by the bike doesn't leave much room for accessory power, but am not sure how much more I can squeeze out of it? Would this fan put me over the edge? I still have the stock headlight, taillight, turn signals...
You will be close to the edge, but it should be okay. The stock RZ alternator puts out about 200W of power. The only continuous loads are the headlight, taillight, and instrument lights, which use about 73W on low beam. All of the other electrical loads are only on for short periods of time, so you don't need to worry too much about them. This leaves about 120W of power available and at 6.3 amps that fan will use about 90W of power.
Tod

'75 RD350
'84 RZ350
'84 Kawasaki ZX900 Ninja

smurph

#8 Post by smurph » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:16 pm

And that 6.3 amps is probably only seen at fan start up. It will probably draw less while running.

But why do you think you need a fan? It's been my experience that the engine is not as hot as it looks like on the stock gauge. You may want to get an external gauge to see what the temp really is. Mine never gets over 190 degrees even on the hottest of days in heavy slow traffic. That's measuring with a digital gauge. With the stock gauge, it always looked too warm. Way up the gauge like a meltdown was eminent. So I think that as these bikes get older, the stock gauge start reading higher.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

lazerfloyd

#9 Post by lazerfloyd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:55 pm

True, I'm only looking at the "reading" on the stock gauge and not an actual number for the temperature. It got right below the red last summer in a long, uphill line of slow, stop/go traffic and I shut it off and walked it. I thought I'd be cool pulling into a festival and parking the RZ up front... yeah I looked real cool, right! I guess the fan would be more for piece of mind and to play it safe? Although a digital measurement would tell me for sure. I certainly see your point on this Smurph and appreciate the input, but for now the wheels are already in motion to get this fan put on. Maybe I'll add the digital meter to the list... what one did you use?

350Bfine, thanks for the input. I guess I could also help out my situation some by going with LED replacements... I know I saw a thread on that somewhere around here.
'85 U.S. Model RZ350NCII

smurph

#10 Post by smurph » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:59 am

I put a R1 cluster on my bike. The R1 temp sensor just so happens to fit the hole that the original RZ sensor is in!

There is nothing like peace of mind, for sure. I like looking at those digital numbers instead of the vague range on that gauge.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

skipnstones

#11 Post by skipnstones » Sat May 23, 2009 9:37 pm

I don't mean to threadjack, but my instrument cluster is falling apart. The plastic is cracking around the gauges just by riding it.

I've seen newer digital instrument clusters on the RZ 350's. What is involved with doing that modification?

Smurph (or anyone who has done this) could you post a pic or two and enlighten me to the process?

Many thanks in advance.

84rz350mn

#12 Post by 84rz350mn » Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 pm

I think this is the thread you are looking for skipnstones:
http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1289
Sold...1984 rz350 y/b 85 stator/cdi, modified airbox, uni filter, dg pipes, (thin washer under needle, 250 main, air screw at 1 turn out), telefix brace

Current...1973 Kawasaki S1 with S3 400 triple engine yeah!!