Standard RZ - '83 no longer modified with RGV, Brembo, Zeel & other parts

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Yellow and Black RZ

Re: Standard RZ - '83 no longer modified with RGV, Brembo, Zeel & other parts

#616 Post by Yellow and Black RZ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm

I would say, you have to do it for yourself and if you're not into it anymore, you shouldn't.
With that said, you'll get the itch again.

Great thread and build. Appreciate your taking the time to share.
'85 RRZ350 - Hacked.

JonW

#617 Post by JonW » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks Rob, I do know what you mean and its not like Ive been idle, Ive got plenty of other stuff done just its not reported here lol. For me juggling so many projects always means there is a lack of focus when looking at one of them closely, especially as I gather parts and restore them and then box them so that the project can get built quicker when Ive got it on my lift. I cant quite imagine how anyone builds a bike 'as they go along' to be honest. Parts supply and time to do the work would kill it for me very quickly like that. Maybe if its a person's only project but even then, wow... I like the build up to be fast as it keeps up the momentum after the years of creating clean and restored inventory. I will add that I also respect everyones right to privacy as well, if youre not comfortable sharing then thats cool too. Im not a show off or anything, I only post to help people but also to get help. Im actually no expert at all on the LC2 and the guys on Norbos forum have already been really helpful when Ive had questions. Nor saying people here didnt know, but with more traffic on that site I'd more chance of a quick response and I needed the info fast so I could keep momentum up.

Yellow and Black, its not that ive lost interest. the build is proceeding apace, just not being posted here. I did a post with links to where it is now.

There was also a post here from Silverstrom but it looks like it was deleted. I appreciated your post John, sorry you didnt leave it up mate.

Im always keen to read about builds and see what guys are doing but there needs to interaction with posting, forums die if people dont post. I know me not posting isnt helping, but this isnt something new, Ive been saying it and posting about it for the past 12-18months (maybe longer?), its just Ive chosen to do something about it now and rather than just not post here I gave people the links to where that posting is happening in case they wanted to keep following.

I know what Rob says about how people these days want things 'now'. Rebuilding a bike isnt something many of us can do 'now'. In Aus you just dont have the access to new parts that quickly, let along anything used and that supply is worse than ever now for our bikes. Ebay was full of good stuff even 5 years back, but not any more. And posting from overseas takes weeks and weeks of nail biting waiting to see if what youve been sent is what you bought, let alone if its any good. Restoring parts by blasting, powdercoating and zinc takes time as well... and if you had all day it might then go faster but who has that much time to devote to a bike lol.

One of the reasons I have >1 project is so that when i get stuck or tired of working on it I can work on something else. The downside is that the costs escalate when you do that and being time poor means even less work gets done. If only i were a retired billionaire with a proper workshop and have Yamaha's CEO on speed dial...
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

tacky1

#618 Post by tacky1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:05 pm

JonW wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:52 pm As I said, I'm sorry guys.

Ive posted a lot here (10k posts!) and have tried to help people as much as I can but over the past few years interest in this forum has dropped off significantly and writing long posts and doing photos takes time and effort and the odd bit of encouragement in return helps off set that effort as well as keep builds going. I know a few of you have tried and that's great, thanks for that, and hear what tacky is saying - perhaps its my boring decade long builds that are not interesting any more. That's cool. I admit that I take a long time to do projects, it is what it is; we dont all have the ability to focus on one thing at once. :)
Dont get me wrong Jon, I have read all this and all your posts and threads, I like them, I like your attention to detail, I get it, It takes a long time to get these damn bikes together,
I was just noting maybe thats why there isn't much action or response on your thread,
Keep up the good work, I'm following over on Norbos...
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1984 GPZ750 Turbo
1989 VFR750R RC30

JonW

#619 Post by JonW » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:43 pm

Its all good, I didnt think you were getting at me over it really. I do know that this project is a rambling tale at this point. It went from 'what shall I do with this?' to 'Oh ive got some RGV bits available' and then 'and some other cool stuff' to 'maybe I'll just do a standard build'... If you started off reading cos you wanted the RGV and other parts then i can see that a person would now wonder why they bothered lol. If ever there was a thread that needed to stop and start anew it was probably this one. All my other threads are more cohesive for sure; I say what im building and then do that... mostly lol!

I dont think its just my threads, there isnt much action on the forum as a whole really. We now have a very small number of regular posters and when the current builders have finished what theyre doing I wonder what there will be to read or talk about. :/

I will say that every forum has a 'faithful few' who visit and post a lot but some forums have a bigger pool of those people than others, ie norbos is a very busy forum now, more so than it was a few years back. Facebook also thrives by the model that 4 or 5 guys answer every post, even if they've no idea what the answer is (proven time and time again but they still never shut up 'helping' the newbies lol). Forums tend to be more measured, its not about replying for the sake of it etc. That dynamic alone means that forums tend to be quieter. At least there are lots of old threads and good info to read up on which is easily searched here. I use that feature all the time.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com