r6 shock conversion suspension link modification

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

graham heise

r6 shock conversion suspension link modification

#1 Post by graham heise » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:54 am

G'day race fans. Many a forum has described the benifit and installation process of an r6 shock to a Rz350, I can't find posted information about dog bone modification to currect Ride height. I installed a 2000 model r6 shock into my rz over the weekend. The modification has raised the rear some 40-50mm. The ride is definatley firmer (as tested on speed humps, pot holes and drive ways) to the original shock but the geometry is not right. The simply solution to me is modify the dog bones/ suspension link??? Has anyone done it?
I have spare dog bones and a gun welder to my disposal. Looking on the net, adjustable suspension links are in the $100+ region and no listings for rz application. Anyone out there modified standard suspension link to restore original ride height, suspension balance?
I hope this post and it's solutions can aid me and others in the future, for what seems a good budget upgrade . Cheers graham
yamaha fanatic.

Morty
-----
-----

Re: r6 shock conversion suspension link modification

#2 Post by Morty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi Graham, i cut mine so the rear wheel just clears the ground when on the centerstand. This was from Smurph I believe who had tried several different lengths. I find it works really well with this and gold valves in the forks.
Cheers
Graham
75 RD350
83 RZ350
87 RZ350
03 KX250
78 DT175

graham heise

#3 Post by graham heise » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks Morty. Any chance you could measure the length you have now? My centre stand mount has been removed by previous owner.
I Just realised this is probable been posted in wrong section, maybe admin can move it to suspension section. Graham.
yamaha fanatic.

silverstrom

#4 Post by silverstrom » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm

That seems pretty high Graham. Normally it's only about 25 mm. Have you adjusted the shock yet? Perhaps it's the adjustment that has it sitting so high.

NK Racing makes dog bones at around $100 Aus per pair. He has them in standard ride height and + 1 inch. He could probably make you a lowering pair for a similar price.

JonW

#5 Post by JonW » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Defo try adjusting the shock, on the centerstand my rear wheel is only just off the ground, but 'clothed' the bike looks fine and not too high or low.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

This old RZ

#6 Post by This old RZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Guys, I dont want to step on anyones toes.. :smt017 but every RZ I've viewed with a R-6 shock..has bumped up the rear ride height close to a full 3/4"-1" and..actually amost everyone who has done this conversion has comented on the increase in height to some extent. The guy I bought my bodywork from ,had donre this, and had to place a wood block under his side stand as it was a full inch taller,what 25mm...40mm is a virtual spaceshot into orbit :smt003
Also Im not sure what some guys are reffering to when saying adjustment?? The R-6 shock has no provision for ride height adjustment..just the preload/rebound/commpression adjustments..you generally dont utilize those to adjust your ride height. So are you guys reffering to adjustment as in cutting the dogbones and rewelding to whatever spec you think will work? :smt017
Just curious,maybe theres something to learn. Im just a lil confused by the different posts on this subject

The lack of a ride height adjustment on the R-6 shock,I know they early bikes had none...but do the late model 2010-2013 units offer adj height? Its usually only offered by aftermarket shocks..or on high end machines Ducati etc..
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

Morty
-----
-----

#7 Post by Morty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:37 pm

graham heise wrote:Thanks Morty. Any chance you could measure the length you have now? My centre stand mount has been removed by previous owner.
I Just realised this is probable been posted in wrong section, maybe admin can move it to suspension section. Graham.
Mine are 170mm overall length stock is 165mm
75 RD350
83 RZ350
87 RZ350
03 KX250
78 DT175

graham heise

#8 Post by graham heise » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:00 am

Thank you for your reply's gentlemen. I have just measured the rear of the bike to compare against previous measurements recorded with original shock. This measurement is from the ground to bottom of the side fairing (lowest point under helmet holder) old shock 675mm without rider, 630mm with me weighing 95kg. With r6 shock installed 705mm without rider, 655 with rider. Sorry silverstrom i was out with my guess on :smt030 measurements, the conversion has lifted bike 30mm or 1 inch. When sitting on bike it feels higher and it looks higher from the side. I did expect this from what i 've read in other posts, now i'm considering the course to take in correcting the height if necessary?
You are right old rz the shock is not ride height adjustable. It does have a preload adjuster for the spring which could in affect adjust the ride height. Although this should be used to set static sag. I plan on upgrading the forks with gold valvue eminators and linear springs suited to my weight. Once this is done i will probable lengthen the suspension links to reduce the ride height somewhere closer to stock in the rear.
Overall the shock feels really good, big improvement over stock and was by far the cheapest option for an upgrade. (cost $125)
As yet due to endless days of rain, i have been unable to test the set up in high speed cornering and braking.
:smt026 cheers graham
yamaha fanatic.

silverstrom

#9 Post by silverstrom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:11 am

This old RZ wrote:
Also Im not sure what some guys are reffering to when saying adjustment?? The R-6 shock has no provision for ride height adjustment..
We're talking about the spring preload on the top of the shock which goes from 1 to 9. The more preload on the spring, the higher the tail tend to sit. The difference is quite noticeable. You can just see it on the top left side in this pic of mine.

RuZty
-----
-----

#10 Post by RuZty » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 am

I've been riding mine like that for years, it quickens the steering a bit but it's never caused a problem. Certainly not worth the effort to shorten the dogbones IMHO.

graham heise

#11 Post by graham heise » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:48 am

Update. I lowered the spring preload adjuster ring to the third locator from lowest position. the bike now sits only 5mm higher then with stock shock. The ride has softened from where i started (6th locator) but still feels stout and firmer then with the original shock. I may move it back up to 4th locator and play around rebound and compression. Overall i am happy with the feel and ride now and would recommend the r6 shock conversion as a good budget upgrade.
yamaha fanatic.

nokturnal
-----
-----

#12 Post by nokturnal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 am

What is the static sag now? Rider sag?
:smt017

This old RZ

#13 Post by This old RZ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

graham heise wrote:Thank you for your reply's gentlemen. I have just measured the rear of the bike to compare against previous measurements recorded with original shock. This measurement is from the ground to bottom of the side fairing (lowest point under helmet holder) old shock 675mm without rider, 630mm with me weighing 95kg. With r6 shock installed 705mm without rider, 655 with rider. Sorry silverstrom i was out with my guess on :smt030 measurements, the conversion has lifted bike 30mm or 1 inch. When sitting on bike it feels higher and it looks higher from the side. I did expect this from what i 've read in other posts, now i'm considering the course to take in correcting the height if necessary?
You are right old rz the shock is not ride height adjustable. It does have a preload adjuster for the spring which could in affect adjust the ride height. Although this should be used to set static sag. I plan on upgrading the forks with gold valvue eminators and linear springs suited to my weight. Once this is done i will probable lengthen the suspension links to reduce the ride height somewhere closer to stock in the rear.
Overall the shock feels really good, big improvement over stock and was by far the cheapest option for an upgrade. (cost $125)
As yet due to endless days of rain, i have been unable to test the set up in high speed cornering and braking.
:smt026 cheers graham
Okay,thats what I thought about the RHA Graham :smt002 And you are correct in that the preload ,isnt the 1st/desired choice to raising and lowering the suspension. However I underestand for a $125.00 you have to work with what you you have...so thats what your left with. For a non competition setup,this looks like it will work fine for you,If you decide to alter and or buy some adj dogbones in the future,keep notes and post your results for referance..as alot of people look at this for their RZs/RDs.

Just a question,I cant seem to find a answer for on other sites regarding the old r-6 shocks..The R-6 sites I found were populated by young squid kids, they have no idea what there talking about :smt005
We know there is no ride height adjustment, but the preload is there, does the R-6 shock come equipped with compression and rebound adjustment ability, If so, then once your rear spring rate has been determined and you get it back to the stock geometry with corrected length links, you just might be able to utilize this option for hard core riding and ot trackdays/racing..The internal " factory" valving more than likley is not optimum but like you say for $125.00 ...what do you expect.
I'm personally still on the fence "way up there" ...lol regarding these rear shock conversions. ..Only due to the fact I've had some wild moments from just the stock suspensions being set up wrong,and I"d worry about what could potentially happen with reduced slack/binding/wheel lock/accelerated rebound rates and too stiff compression rates :smt031 etc.....Thats just me,I do tend to be overly cautious and a lil too detailed for most people. I'll chill out a lil on this [smilie=beer.gif] and let you guys work your way through this,and see how it works out for you under aggressive riding conditions. Obviouslly it works more than good enough in a practical sense,perhaps with the other modifications you will expand its capabilities :smt002
Nothing ventured ..Nothing gained they say. Good Luck and hope it works out for you :smt023
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

silverstrom

#14 Post by silverstrom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:50 pm