rear master cylinder rebuild kit

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

spudmanRZV500

rear master cylinder rebuild kit

#1 Post by spudmanRZV500 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:06 am

Hello folks. Does anyone know if there is a rear master cylinder rebuild kit from a more modern Yamaha (or other brand) that is the same as the rebuild kit for an '85 RZV500R? I know I can get the kit from Yambits, but I'm in a bit of a hurry to get the bike ready for an upcoming vintage event. Thanks!

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: rear master cylinder rebuild kit

#2 Post by Speed Freak » Thu May 23, 2024 12:18 pm

Is it different to RZ/RD? If not, why not buying it from Yamaha?
47XW004250 seems to be still available and my dealer gets the parts usually within 3 days.

Parts should be the same as for the RZ/RD350 YPVS, I think the difference was only the metal rod which is coming out of the master cylinder. Piston and rubber parts should be the same. Also the cylinder/cast part is the same, only difference is that one of the models has the ribs on the outer surface machined (silver) and the other has them painted.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

spudmanRZV500

#3 Post by spudmanRZV500 » Thu May 23, 2024 2:56 pm

Thanks Speed Freak. I'll check with my local Yamaha dealer. From what I've seen online though, that rebuild kit costs more than the entire new rear master cylinder #1S3-2580E-00, which also just needs the push rod and hose elbow changed out.

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Speed Freak » Thu May 23, 2024 5:14 pm

1S3-2580E-00 is 180-220€ and 47XW004250 costs 70-80€ (online prices). Usually I get a better price at my dealer so I would guess ~50-60€.

Sure that you did not find some chinese copy of it?

Sadly it isn`t so easy to find out the models which are using the same base part as it is only sold as a full set with specific part number (including push rod and hose connector).
Otherwise I guess there would be a lot of bikes using the same part.
Japanese motorcycle OEMS are not really creative if it comes to rear brakes. At the gas station we found out once that the rear brake caliper on a Honda Dominator from ~1990 is the same as on the Yamaha R6 RJ15 (I think even the latest R6 is using it) :smt005
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

spudmanRZV500

#5 Post by spudmanRZV500 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:47 pm

The master cylinder that I found appears to be a genuine Yamaha part: https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamah ... 580E-00-00
The problem with the rebuild kit 47XW004250 is that the only places I can find it online are outside of the U.S.(where I live) and the shipping costs raise the total price considerably. I will double check with my local dealer though to see what he could get for me and what the cost would be.
I'm not even 100% sure that the master cylinder is my problem. I had a "weak" rear brake and decided I was going to replace the pads. When I removed the caliper, I found that one of the pistons was totally froze up. So...I ordered two new pistons and a seal kit and cleaned everything before rebuilding the caliper. At this point, the brake system bleeding nightmare began. I had help from a friend and using a syringe, we were able to get a pretty solid brake pedal by drawing the fluid up through the bleeders. Then, without warning...the pedal went all the way down to the exhaust pipe again. No fluid was leaking out anywhere, but we now assume that either there is still air in the system somewhere or there is a problem with the master cylinder. I'm going to try a power bleeder first, but if I can't seem to get a decent pedal again, I'll probably start looking into the master cylinder.