Ordered smartcarbs

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Ordered smartcarbs

#61 Post by lost1750GTV » Sun May 12, 2024 2:01 pm

They set them up the same as a starting point - they have no direct experience with tuning for this engine, and don't know which cylinder you will put each carb on anyway. Both Nate and Corey are very helpful and knowledgeable - but they have no personal experience with these bikes.

Yes, the owner of that bike posted a startup vid on FB when it got out to him. Our resident then TX and now SC racer queried him about riding the bike, which at that point he hadn't.

Mike

#62 Post by Mike » Mon May 13, 2024 10:26 pm

Lost1750GTV, that makes sense (about Nate & Cory) so are you running different clicks on the upper & lower carbs?

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#63 Post by lost1750GTV » Tue May 14, 2024 12:03 am

Likely when i make progress on the new rods for higher rev ranges and get closer to right.
Plugs and response are my primary guide - but yes with the mikunis I ran the rears richer so that is expected, but whether it will be 2, 5 , 10 clicks i dont know. I'll be happy when it runs clean thru the range and the plugs still look a little rich. It may end up wanting different rods front and rear, their taper functions more like the main jet.
A single click is a micro adjustment and mostly affects lower rpm.

Mike

#64 Post by Mike » Wed May 22, 2024 11:15 pm

I used the throttle cables for the 28mm Keihin’s I had on the bike and for some reason the left throttle cables were too long? So, I ended up ordering these longer throttle adjusters and they did the trick. I had to go with the longer adjusters on the left side carbs because with the standard Smart Carb adjusters fully screwed out (short of them being completely out), the slide was not completely opening and now they do. This is important when it comes to syncing the carbs. Here is a photo of the new adjusters in place. I also took the lower cylinder head off to inspect the gasket/cylinder as that lower cylinders are giving me the most issues and turns out the cylinders are fine (only a slight burn on the lower left cylinder/plug), but nothing major. This week I will do a leak down & if all checks out, I’ll readjust the clickers out and then try & fire the bike up again.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#65 Post by Smoker » Wed May 22, 2024 11:53 pm

Pics/details of the leakdown test would be great!