RD 350 31K hits wall at top power - melt down

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

RDrocket

Re: RD 350 31K hits wall at top power - melt down

#46 Post by RDrocket » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Just started the bike cold at 15°C and run it around the block and runs perfect. So it's heat releated.

RDrocket

#47 Post by RDrocket » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:57 pm

Changed the stator today. No change - when warm starts to bog at aprox. 2000rpm. Funny thing i noticed:
Bike starts to bog at aprox 2000rpm. if I open the throttle a bit more it dies. I hold it like this (slowing down) and while holding the throttle steady shift one gear lower. The rpm gets past 3000 - 4000 RPM and the bike rips and runs perfect. I let it under aprox 4000RPM and again bogs and dies. Checked the timing at 1500RPM it is in the middle of the markings on the rotor. On 3500RPM I don't have 27° but aprox 32°. I would say that that was the cause for the meltdown (+ to hot plug) and because when the rpm gets past 4000rpm it runs fine i still think it's spark (only CDI left to change)

RDrocket

#48 Post by RDrocket » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:41 am

to conclude the topic.
Bike whas hiting wall in power output because of the oem CDI -> installed zeel and with oem curve it was better. Still need to go on dyno to fine tune it
Melt down and turning off ? I have connected all owerflow, breather hoses from carbs and fuel tank breather in one it wasn't plugged but what hapened is that it was a bit knited and the vacuum from the tank made an vacuum in the float bowls -> bowls full of gas but the engine can't pull any up the jets because the float bowl is under vacuum.
happy that i sorted it out and the bike runs great. needs a bit of fine tuning of carbs, ignition and pv curve but since it's healty i had time to install my diy egt monitor (540°C at wot so i'm close), koso rx2n gauge and an complete new wiring
also with help of arrow I rebuilded and refitted the oilpump