Looking for some reference pictures of the RZ cowl removed

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

vtnewb

Looking for some reference pictures of the RZ cowl removed

#1 Post by vtnewb » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:47 am

Hey Folks,

My 1984 RZ350 has the cowl/gauge cluster/headlight installed with home made brackets and double sided sticky tape, and vibrated like crazy when riding. The fundamental reason was my bike has a ZX6R front end. I've attached a picture for reference for those that are curious.

ZX6R top clamp as installed on my RZ: https://imgur.com/a/gqAstxp
The bracket: https://imgur.com/a/zceiVeR

I just got myself, from ebay, the actual monsterous bracket that holds the cowling/gauge cluster/fairing. I can intuit from the mirofiche that I need to weld on a few circular bosses and drill a clearance hole to attach to my ZX6R top clamp, but I cannot intuit how this bracket attaches to the fairing. So I'm asking the community for reference photos if they have some:

1. A picture of the stock RZ headlight/gauge/cluster setup without the cowling: I want to see where the bracket attaches to the bike - does it attach on top of the top clamp or the bottom? Anywhere else?
2. A picture of the inside of the cowling so I can see what brackets I'm missing
3. A scan or picture of any manual page that migth have a nice exploded diagram

Thanks everyone!

brrrappp

Re: Looking for some reference pictures of the RZ cowl removed

#2 Post by brrrappp » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:36 pm

here's one I had that might help you

I assume you are USA- these pictures are 84-85 USA non-California RZ350 Kenny Roberts edition
Attachments
HELP.jpg
HELP.jpg (259.35 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
Last edited by brrrappp on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brrrappp

#3 Post by brrrappp » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:43 pm

Here's another one that may help
Attachments
HELP-2.jpg
HELP-2.jpg (300.74 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

brrrappp

#4 Post by brrrappp » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:04 pm

One more
Attachments
HELP-3.jpg
HELP-3.jpg (249.82 KiB) Viewed 1283 times

vtnewb

#5 Post by vtnewb » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:45 pm

Super awsome, thank you so much.

I realize now that the bracket not only attaches to the top clamp, but also it picks up some clamp bolts on the bottom clamp. Last night I fabbed up some mounting lugs to weld onto my top clamp, so once thats welded I'll use some bar stock to make a bracket for the bottom.

The remaining piece I dont get is how does the fairing attach to this bracket? Mine is a repro and has no mounting bosses anywhere, and the holes on the big dash/headlight brakcet I assume pickup the fairing are at a pretty funny angle. Do you happen to have a picture of the inside of the fairing too?

brrrappp

#6 Post by brrrappp » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:08 pm

The upper and forward parts of the bracket I highlighted with a red square attach to the inner part of the stock cowl with a pair of very short, large-head phillips screws. It's common for the built-in bosses that are molded to the cowl to get cracked or broken if the bike tips over or is crashed. There is a left and a right metal brace that is attached to the boss with a pair of wide-head black pop rivets. This same bracket has flexy sheet metal that runs along the cowl/windscreen edge and is held along that part of the cowl by the windshield screws. At the bottom of the cowl there is a small metal rolled tube formed from thicker sheet metal that is attached to the cowl lower with a pair of rivets. This tube fits between tabs at the bottom of the fairing bracket and, when the cowl is installed. A clevis pin slides through to allow the cowl to drop forward or pivot for access.
I'll attach a cowl picture in a few minutes
Attachments
HELP-2a.jpg
HELP-2a.jpg (221.59 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
Last edited by brrrappp on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brrrappp

#7 Post by brrrappp » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:18 pm

Cowl pict with attached brackets and attachment points highlighted
Attachments
Help3.jpg
Help3.jpg (220.31 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

brrrappp

#8 Post by brrrappp » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:26 pm

lower cowl mounting point. Rolled sheet metal with tabs that are riveted to cowl is attached here with a long clevis pin that has a small hole at one end for a cotter pin or hitch-pin.
Attachments
Help-4.jpg
Help-4.jpg (207.23 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

brrrappp

#9 Post by brrrappp » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:35 pm

If you are trying to get the thing back to original you're probably going to need to see a real bike.
You should also be aware that there is a smaller bracket that holds the instrument cluster. It has rubber mounts and is attached to the upper triple clamp. It attaches to the back of the instruments - also with squishy rubber washers for vibration. And.....there are a couple cylindrical shaped rubber cushions that act like little shock absorbers keeping the cluster from flopping around on its rubber cushioned mounts. These little pencil-eraser sized rubber cushions were about $10 each if I remember correctly.

kpke
-----
-----

#10 Post by kpke » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:29 am

Great responses there from brrrappp.

I don't know if this pre-powder coat photo helps

And at about 2:00 in this video you can see the bracket mounted to the front end prior to teardown.

https://youtu.be/8zfE-p5FUvI

brrrappp

#11 Post by brrrappp » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:56 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115494601362?h ... R8qp0NPwYA
Thanks for the compliment KPKE :smt039

Link to a Instrument bracket on Ebay and pictures attached- the one upper cowl/instrument part missing from the above group of brackets
Attachments
RZ350InstrumentBrackett.jpg
RZ350InstrumentBrackett.jpg (280.35 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
RZ350InstrumentBrackett2.jpg
RZ350InstrumentBrackett2.jpg (325.18 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#12 Post by Evans Ward » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 pm

If one could be replicated aftermarket for the fairing mount, what price point do you think people might pay for it?
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

RxRZ

#13 Post by RxRZ » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:02 am

Evans Ward wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 pm If one could be replicated aftermarket for the fairing mount, what price point do you think people might pay for it?
$100-$200.

I've purchased replica GSXR fairing brackets on ebay for $50. I think the RZ part is a little more intricate.

vtnewb

#14 Post by vtnewb » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:51 pm

Hey folks,

I wanted to reach back in and say I'm working on this. I have aluminum mounting lugs for the ZX6R top clamp at the machine shop being welded today. When that's back I'll attach the big bracket and measure the needs to attach it to the lower triple clamp and design an aluminum bracket for that.

With that I can mount the gauge cluster (mine fortunately has the bracket) and key switch - although my gauge cluster is in metric and I'm considering taking it apart and creating a US standard overlay for the MPH - that's another story

The next project will be making the mounts for the fairing itself. This is alot easier for me in-shop since I can bend my own steel with my vice and I have a pemsert gun. That long bar that goes to the fairing bottom is a bit of a puzzler though. I'll need it all together to figure that out.

Thanks everyone so far. I'll post pictures soon.

Smoker

#15 Post by Smoker » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:26 pm

Evans Ward wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 pm If one could be replicated aftermarket for the fairing mount, what price point do you think people might pay for it?
For the full bracket-

In stainless, $400

In aluminum, $450

In titanium, $550