new bike repair costs

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

This old RZ

new bike repair costs

#1 Post by This old RZ » Wed May 20, 2009 12:08 am

Thers this guy whom is @ the local starbucks every now and then and he has one of the killer new ducati monster 1100s that looks like a modern r/w RZ. ITS A DAMN NICE LOOKING BIKE!
Well latley Ive only seen the guy on his old triunph ,so I asked him what happened to yhe duc and he said he was going through some cars on the frwy splitting traffic and a car pulled out in his way,"which is normal" when your splitting traffic..anyways he put the brakes on a little too heavy and locked the back as he was approaching a car and struck the rear bumper of a old SR5 toyota truck.
He said he was only doing MAYBE 15-20 MPH @ that point. He said the insurance company totalled the bike as the repair costs exceeded the value...the bike is only a year old if that! .......the major reason he said was the swingarm is mounted to the engine cases which resulted to major damage and practiclly a new engine!!!!!$$$$$$$$ and the fuel tank and bodywork and pipes was another 6k so @20 mph you could be delt with about 10 k worth of damage.OUCH!!! :smt013 Thank goodness for insurance I guess
:smt003

Smoker

#2 Post by Smoker » Wed May 20, 2009 12:24 am

Yeah, when my buddy got his Ducati, I asked him if he planned on taking it to the track.

He said- "No, I don't want to go down on this bike. Every time you lay it down, it's like $10,000."

It's a friggin' bad-ass bike, though. It's the bike that inspired me to build the Blinged-Out RZ. If I lay down the RZ, it's gonna cost me $10,000 too! :smt003

alexanderdraper

#3 Post by alexanderdraper » Wed May 20, 2009 10:10 am

While riding my 06 Triumph Daytona 675 through a gravel parking lot I had a guy crash into me when he pulled out of his parking spot without looking. i was only going about 10 klm/h.
because the bike was hit on the left but landed on the right there was cosmetic damage to both side. every panel was replaced as well as the tank and other misl parts like bar-ends, foot pegs, mirrors etc.

insurance paid for everything not charging me a cent because they found me to be 0% at fault! thanks god! i dunno if bike insurance is as bad down there but they damn near nail you to the wall here.(well when you 23 and ride a 600+ cc bike)

the total was $4,800.00 CAD in the end. might i remind you that it was all cosmetic damage. there were no major injuries to me either if you were curious.
Porting&pipes by GPL racing, hotrods 4mm crank,
mikuni36mmTM, zeel ignition, V-Force4, gusseted 86frame, Fz600 swingarm, 89gsxr750 wheels&brakes, Elka shock, fzr600 forks with r6 internals fitted by accelerated tech

nokturnal
-----
-----

#4 Post by nokturnal » Wed May 20, 2009 2:52 pm

A couple of years ago i dumped my 2000 R1.

I ordered (OEM parts from Ron Ayers):
- new headlight
- new upper
- new tail
- new right mid
- new right lower
- new rad
- new Ti slip-on
- new SS lines/pads
- new Ti exhaust bracket
- new windshield
- new clutch cover

Under 2000 CAD.

it's the italians you need to be careful of... :smt003

T.RexRacing

#5 Post by T.RexRacing » Wed May 20, 2009 3:45 pm

The key is to remain on two wheels.Works for my Tuono at 65 thousand miles.

alexanderdraper

#6 Post by alexanderdraper » Wed May 20, 2009 4:25 pm

mot to self.

KEEP RUBBER SIDE DOWN AND SHINY SIDE UP.

there that otta help.
Porting&pipes by GPL racing, hotrods 4mm crank,
mikuni36mmTM, zeel ignition, V-Force4, gusseted 86frame, Fz600 swingarm, 89gsxr750 wheels&brakes, Elka shock, fzr600 forks with r6 internals fitted by accelerated tech

Smoker

#7 Post by Smoker » Wed May 20, 2009 4:49 pm

T.RexRacing wrote:The key is to remain on two wheels.Works for my Tuono at 65 thousand miles.

Exactly.

Very nice machine, too.