So...what's the hot ticket for making an LC rip?

A place for LC enthusiasts to hang out!

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

sesshomaru

So...what's the hot ticket for making an LC rip?

#1 Post by sesshomaru » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:29 pm

I just picked one up. Haven't even ridden it yet and the first thing I'm thinking about is "how can I make this f**ker REALLY fly?". 60hp would be awesome...but....am I being unrealistic?

So far I've read that the best things you can do for an LC are reed spacers, optimizing squish, better flowing reeds, changing timing and raising the exhaust port 1.5 - 2.5mm. That said, I'm trying to avoid porting.

Surprisingly no word on pipes from what I've read. Anyone know why that is? Pipes made a big difference on my daytona but I'd imagine there's some optimization there on the stockers compared to the old a/c.

Some pics...before:

After a nice wash and polish...S100 is awesome stuff:

So as you can see it's in pretty good shape. Sat for 10 years, so it's gonna need some looking at but I find this is a very easy bike to work on.

Another thing I'm sitting here wondering about is if 2R9 a/c chambers are a bolt on or if I'm better off not dicking around and just buying better pipes. I have a set of Microns on my 2R9 Daytona (Canadian model) that I absolutely love and would be very happy with using them on the LC! It is pretty much identical frame wise as the UK E/F models.

Any insight? Not much on these bikes online from what I'm finding.
I'll bet it jiggles when she walks.

Zedixe13
-----
-----

Re: So...what's the hot ticket for making an LC rip?

#2 Post by Zedixe13 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Daytona pipes won't fit LC , RZ will with a simple mod to the rear support tab ( holes don't line up perfectly ) . I use 31k pipes on mine .

kenny

#3 Post by kenny » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Some good pipes will wake up the sleeping giant in there. Probaby more than any other mod if they are a good modern design.

JonW

#4 Post by JonW » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:39 pm

plenty of mods for the LC, and defo get some pipes on it. Have a look on Norbo's forum, there are more tuned LCs there.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

2smoke

#5 Post by 2smoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:13 am

Easiest way is to put in a rz powervalve motor.
Several guys here have done it.
If you want to stay non Pv, you will need serious head and cylinder work.
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

Off Road
-----
-----

#6 Post by Off Road » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:42 pm

This article might help.

JonW

#7 Post by JonW » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 pm

The UK mags were great for stuff like this back in the day and we all avidly read these articles so became experts and then spent hours with our dad's old files and hammers to have faster bikes... it was all done on the cheap as we didn't spent much money...

At the bottom of this page is MCN's tuning form for the MB5 and MT5, lol. It cost a few quid to get them to send this to you... so you could ruin your cylinder over the weekend and have a bad ride to college on Monday LOL

http://2smoked.com/mt5.com_archive_-_MB ... icles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

L.B

#8 Post by L.B » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:39 am

Man what a blast from the past!I still have this mag & was a pimply faced 18yro doing these mods to my LC lol....

Hooligan

#9 Post by Hooligan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:28 am

The LC is really not the right bike to make "rip". By modern standards the handling is iffy, the suspension is sqidgy and the brakes suck. They are loads of fun to ride as is and reasonably reliable with a set of expansion chambers

If you really want serious power you will have to go to a PV motor and that requires a new or modified wiring harness.
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

sesshomaru

#10 Post by sesshomaru » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:15 am

Cool, thanks guys, I've got some ideas now. I have indeed read the 35 pound race tune article...but it was a worse scan and difficult to read in spots, thanks for that one. A shame I can't readily use my Daytona Micron pipes though.
Hooligan wrote:The LC is really not the right bike to make "rip". By modern standards the handling is iffy, the suspension is sqidgy and the brakes suck. They are loads of fun to ride as is and reasonably reliable with a set of expansion chambers

If you really want serious power you will have to go to a PV motor and that requires a new or modified wiring harness.
I appreciate the insight, however, comparisons to modern stuff barred are the brakes/handling really that bad? Can't be any worse than my Daytona...well known for having a shite caliper stock...and not forgetting worn out old shocks that probably lost their damping 30 years ago at 750km...I think both are likely to be improvements over the 400. :smt002 I mean, if I wanted something that handled on rails, started by the touch of a button and stopped on a dime...I've heard an SV is a good bike for that....but that's SO SO BORING! I've ridden one a few times and termed it "soulless vehicle". Too easy! Not to mention, ICBC here rape you for insurance on anything above 400cc. They don't even give you a bottle of lube! :smt043

An RZ motor...well...I would have gotten an RZ but they are getting hard to find. I was looking for one originally but no luck and I couldn't pass up this bike knowing I can ditch the air cooling and the limited tuning available due to heat soak. I got 48 ponies out of my Daytona without touching the ports...the bike is great in cold weather but anything above 15c or so ambient it heats up and gradually loses it's pop.

That being said, this bike is getting light mods but I'm keeping everything so I can return it to stock if desired. No way I would throw away or alter something drastically on a bike this clean...hence...no porting.
I'll bet it jiggles when she walks.

kenny

#11 Post by kenny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 am

If your a member of Norbo's forum (RDLCCRAZY) there is an independant engineer on there called muttsnutts who did an pipe test last weekend and will be publishing the results very soon the bike he used was an RD/RZ350LC