New '81 Project

A place for LC enthusiasts to hang out!

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

steveloomis
-----
-----

#31 Post by steveloomis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm

I'd still look at verifying your pump is putting out the correct amount in 200 strokes on each output. You can catch the output with two tubes at the same time. I would also pull the pump output nozzles, they just twist a bit and pull out. There is a spring and small check ball behind the nozzle. Don't lose the ball. Make sure the area is free of debris at it tends to collect there and reduce pump output on one side or both. Good to know pump is outputting the correct amount. I think it is 2.6 - 2.8cc's in 200 strokes. Make sure your oil pump tubing is full of oil so your measurement is accurate.

Be sure to run on premix for the test, you can use a small bottle hung above to dispense premix.

These kinds of details will save your engine.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

vfrchris

Re: New '81 Project

#32 Post by vfrchris » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:06 pm

So it has been a while since I posted an update. I've made some progress but it has been slow. The only time I really get to work on the bike is when my little dude takes a nap in the weekend afternoons. So my rebuild is rushed and far below the standard of most of what I have seen on the site. I knew this would be the case when I got the bike and I'm cool with it. My goal was to get it to a safe and rideable condition so I can go for the odd spin now and then. In a few years time I'll do it again - properly.

Although it's not finished, I did take it for a rip around the neighbourhood. It's actually the first RD I have ever ridden - and I was amazed by the way the thing takes off when you hit 6,000rpm - it's a rocket!

I ended up both soldering and sealing the tank using the Caswell sealer - seems to have done the trick as there have been no leaks. I used the ready-to-spray Duplicolor Paint Shop for the base on the tank as well as the same clear coat. It came out ok after a little wet-sanding. I used Tremclad/Rustoleum for the side panels and front fender as it was cheap and I'm interested to see how well it holds up. The colour match is pretty good and the Tremclad actually looks better than the base/clear on the tank.

The only part I'm actually missing is one orange lens for my rear signal / blinker. If anyone has an extra laying around that they'd be willing to part with - drop me a line and we can make a deal.

More to come...