My Blinged-Out RZ Project

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker

Re: My Blinged-Out RZ Project

#2326 Post by Smoker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:01 pm

Got some more work done on the electrical panels. Trying to make them removable, without disconnecting the throttle cable. Trying out an easily removable cover, to prevent a big hole under the throttle cable. Lots more to do.

Darrell

#2327 Post by Darrell » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:24 am

Fantastic work! I've enjoyed following your progress and look forward to seeing the finished bike. Wowzer!
89 Canadian Spec RD-350
2013 BMW R1200RT
2007 Harley XL1200C Sportster
2008 Ducati 1098R
2015 Gas Gas 300 Trials bike
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z
Zastava Black Arrow .50 BMG

Smoker

#2328 Post by Smoker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:07 pm

Working on the coil placement. Plug wires aren't touching the throttle cables, but close.

Pondering if it's possible for sparks to jump from the plug wires/coil to the throttle cables, sending sparks to the bottom of the slides in the carbs, and going BOOM BOOM!

Yellow and Black RZ

#2329 Post by Yellow and Black RZ » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm

Your cardboard aided design skills are certainly up there with the best.

If you ever do have the time and are interested in looking into learning CAD I suggest Fusion360.
They have a free personal use license program. https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

Put simply... The basis for using Fusion 360 is you create sketches (dimension drawings) to extrude 3d parts out of. Can create a sketch on an object surface to create and join another feature to that part. 
Essentially stacking up shapes to make a complete part in 3D.

I have to create models of the products we make at my work. It's not solidworks but it gets the job done almost as easily and a lot cheaper.

I'll go to my corner and await your next update. :D
Last edited by Yellow and Black RZ on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
'85 RRZ350 - Hacked.

MK

#2330 Post by MK » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Smoker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:07 pm Pondering if it's possible for sparks to jump from the plug wires/coil to the throttle cables, sending sparks to the bottom of the slides in the carbs, and going BOOM BOOM!
You really should stop watching crap like A Team, MacGyver or the Dukes of Hazard where everything explodes all the time.

Your concept should be save.
If a spark could jump through the isolation, most engines wouldn't run at all.
Bye
Martin

Smoker

#2331 Post by Smoker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Yellow and Black RZ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:56 pm If you ever do have the time and are interested in looking into learning CAD I suggest Fusion360.
They have a free personal use license program. https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

Put simply... The basis for using Fusion 360 is you create sketches (dimension drawings) to extrude 3d parts out of. Can create a sketch on an object surface to create and join another feature to that part. 
Essentially stacking up shapes to make a complete part in 3D.

I have to create models of the products we make at my work. It's not solidworks but it gets the job done almost as easily and a lot cheaper.
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. :smt023

Right now, the only internet access I have is on my phone. I can piggyback my laptop to my phone, but it doesn't work very well.

Smoker

#2332 Post by Smoker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:27 pm

MK wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:09 pm
Smoker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:07 pm Pondering if it's possible for sparks to jump from the plug wires/coil to the throttle cables, sending sparks to the bottom of the slides in the carbs, and going BOOM BOOM!
You really should stop watching crap like A Team, MacGyver or the Dukes of Hazard where everything explodes all the time.

Your concept should be save.
If a spark could jump through the isolation, most engines wouldn't run at all.
Never seen one episode of those shows. Lately, my favorites are Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Making the Team, something called Desafio Super Regiones, and Sumo on NHK. :smt003

My concerns mostly evolve from my former job. There are many situations during the process of anesthesia where things can go boom. Actually did my thesis on Anesthesia Airway Fires. Also, once I touched a plug wire on a running RZ350, and it shocked the shit out of me. Not sure why.

I do feel better with your endorsement. Thanks, as always.

MK

#2333 Post by MK » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 pm

Anesthesia is a whole different story.
The pure oxygen they use is a highly dangerous medium and even small static discharge can ignite things.

To ignite fuel vapor, you need a pretty small range of air/fuel ratio between around 8 and 17. Outside that mix it won't burn.

And yes, you can get electric shock by touching HT parts. If something in the system is faulty.
Like old, brittle insulation, cables being treated by martens, cracked distributor caps or similar stuff.
Bye
Martin

Smoker

#2334 Post by Smoker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:32 pm

Mounted the coil on the cardboard panel. Looks awfully tall to fit under the tank.

Put on the fuel tank. Thank goodness for wasted space. Coil fits fine.

The cover design looked fine, until I saw that picture. The cover needs to be 2-piece construction to level the center piece with the panel.

Smoker

#2335 Post by Smoker » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:26 am

Installed the throttle cable holder.

Looks close to the coil terminals, but the bolts will be cut way down. Won't interfere at all.

Smoker

#2336 Post by Smoker » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:10 am

When I was installing the throttle cable holder, I noticed that the YPVS cables might run into the custom coolant recovery tank. Will need to properly install the cable housings to see how bad it is, and how hard it is to fix.

Took forever to decide where to mount the rectifier/regulator. Drawing up a titanium bracket that bolts onto an existing electric panel.

Still have a lot to draw, but getting there. (2) 6mm holes for the R/R, (2) 6mm holes for mounting the panel and bracket, (2) 5mm holes for P-clips, (4) 6mm speed slots.

Smoker

#2337 Post by Smoker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:45 pm

Been changing the size & shape of the mockup recovery tank, so it looks right. Trying to figure out where to mount it on the panel.

A better view of the needles in the above pic.

Not easy to see, but there is some space between the frame and the tank.

Smoker

#2338 Post by Smoker » Tue May 11, 2021 4:24 pm

None of the components or wires in this pic are mounted or connected. Just trying to figure out how and where they should be located.

One of the big issues is where to place the numerous wire connectors. Got some cheap connectors, and noticed a few things. First, there are 2 ridges on the bottom, so the connectors sit flat. Also, all these connectors are the same thickness.

On the top, they're flat with a notch under the clasp. Looks like a piece of flat metal would fit rightly.

Hopefully, I can modify the regulator/rectifier/grounding bracket drawing, and make another flat bracket with 2 spacers to hold down some connectors.

Smoker

#2339 Post by Smoker » Wed May 12, 2021 9:13 pm

Most of the Ducati clutch holding tools bolt onto the side cover, which isn't going to work on the RZ.

Got a billet aluminum wrench that looks like it will do the job.

RZed

#2340 Post by RZed » Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Damn Smoker..... that wrench looks like it's part of your build, not just a tool!!
Very nice! :smt023

Charlie
1985 RZ 421 Hybrid viewtopic.php?t=9655
99 R1 USD front end
Tarrozi Hi-rise clipons
TrailTech Endurance II Speedo/Odometer
VJ23 swingarm
CBR F4i rear shock/custom dogbones
JL GP stainless pipes
2018 XSR 900