Kaplan Cycles RZ350

Let us know when you find 2-stroke related stuff

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

madgoat

Kaplan Cycles RZ350

#1 Post by madgoat » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:38 pm

We all know how desirable and hot the market is for our loved little two stroke RZ350.

This one is already over $10k... and has several things wrong with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363448738119?h ... Swf-Jg0MFW

The gas tank first of all has the musical YAMAHA font decals on it (M is not to the bottom). Now you can still get the OEM decals NOS from Yamaha today!! FAIL there. Kenny Roberts decals put on at a "wicked" slant angle. Rear fender hacked. Engine not painted. Speedo cluster plastic piece around ignition hole was cut off (likely meaning bike was down). Etc

And the grips and mirrors are wrong. The OEM grips are also still available from Yamaha. Good luck getting a real good set of original mirrors for under $250 or $300.

A super nice, although fully documented and restored, 1985 white and red RZ350 just sold last week for $12,900 on ebay. Be interesting to see where this more desirable yellow one sells for (Kaplan has a $15k buy it now).

Personally though I don't think I would ever buy a bike from that Danzig clone owner at Kaplan :smt018

Zedixe13
-----
-----

Re: Kaplan Cycles RZ350

#2 Post by Zedixe13 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:54 pm

No title !

brrrappp

#3 Post by brrrappp » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:16 am

Zedixe13 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:54 pmNo title !
@madgoat Thanks for posting this one. It's a good comp to my bikes and will help me estimate a value for insurance.

As for the title- Up here in New Hampshire the State doesn't create a title for vehicles older than 1999. The State will issue a letter of exemption so you can register and title in a State with longer term title requirements.

Obviously an original title does add value to the buyer as a measure provenance.

Bald Anthony

#4 Post by Bald Anthony » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:11 pm

madgoat wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:38 pm We all know how desirable and hot the market is for our loved little two stroke RZ350.

This one is already over $10k... and has several things wrong with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363448738119?h ... Swf-Jg0MFW

The gas tank first of all has the musical YAMAHA font decals on it (M is not to the bottom). Now you can still get the OEM decals NOS from Yamaha today!! FAIL there. Kenny Roberts decals put on at a "wicked" slant angle. Rear fender hacked. Engine not painted. Speedo cluster plastic piece around ignition hole was cut off (likely meaning bike was down). Etc

And the grips and mirrors are wrong. The OEM grips are also still available from Yamaha. Good luck getting a real good set of original mirrors for under $250 or $300.

A super nice, although fully documented and restored, 1985 white and red RZ350 just sold last week for $12,900 on ebay. Be interesting to see where this more desirable yellow one sells for (Kaplan has a $15k buy it now).

Personally though I don't think I would ever buy a bike from that Danzig clone owner at Kaplan :smt018

Madgoat knows what he is talking about. He has a nice collection of bikes and pays attention to the details. Hey Madgoat my build is almost completed 4.5 years later and I'm looking forward to posting some photos to get your take on it. I hope you still have those clean parts I sold you. Ha HA

BA

madgoat

#5 Post by madgoat » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:23 pm

Right on BA. And yes - still have all your stuff you sold me. Thanks again.

Looking forward to seeing your creation. Should be awesome.

kobra

#6 Post by kobra » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:56 am

Thanks for sharing. I don't really understand the price. I see two cases for high priced RZ's:
-All original, never messed with, good condition, needs restoration to get into running shape and fix age-related damage but you can at least be sure you won't find any messed up weird stuff
OR
-Fully restored in a high quality way, maybe a few tasteful modifications along the way, fully tuned up and ready to ride

This bike is certainly not bad, but has some questionable issues where I'd want to tear into it anyway.

brrrappp

#7 Post by brrrappp » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:33 pm

kobra wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:56 am Thanks for sharing. I don't really understand the price. I see two cases for high priced RZ's:
-All original, never messed with, good condition, needs restoration to get into running shape and fix age-related damage but you can at least be sure you won't find any messed up weird stuff
OR
-Fully restored in a high quality way, maybe a few tasteful modifications along the way, fully tuned up and ready to ride

This bike is certainly not bad, but has some questionable issues where I'd want to tear into it anyway.
Agree. Looks like a repaint and I'd need to actually look at it to justify anything over $7-$8k.
I notice that most of the bidders seem to drop out as it reached $10k and only one person is bidding against himself after $11k - I assume he is testing for the reserve level.

Still, based on the light mods and clean condition, it makes a good baseline for those that are estimating a value for specialized insurance coverage.
I put mine in for $10k each and depending on what that one sells for, I might raise the coverage a bit.

vmx51

#8 Post by vmx51 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:04 pm

Who gives a fuck if the decals are wrong , the handlebar grips are wrong ? It should be bought as an RZ to ride , have great fun on. Instead of sitting pondering if all the screw heads are aligned , you should be out thrashing it , thats what they are for.
If you don't like the price , then just shut the "F" up and wait for a cheaper one. It is bell ends like you who spoil it for people who really want one.

kobra

#9 Post by kobra » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:12 pm

vmx51 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:04 pm Who gives a fuck if the decals are wrong , the handlebar grips are wrong ? It should be bought as an RZ to ride , have great fun on. Instead of sitting pondering if all the screw heads are aligned , you should be out thrashing it , thats what they are for.
If you don't like the price , then just shut the "F" up and wait for a cheaper one. It is bell ends like you who spoil it for people who really want one.
I disagree. If you're going to put the work into repainting the bike, rebuilding it, putting time and money... why not do it right? It's less about whether you like the final product or not, and more about the lazy job and lack of attention to detail. For 5% more work, the end result could be 25% better.

I agree on the grips - that's a consumable and personal preference thing. Same with tires, mirrors, and even some other things. But using the correct decals and putting them on straight? Kinda silly thing to overlook.

madgoat

#10 Post by madgoat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:46 am

None of this would matter if it was a $5,000 beater bike... but when now over $10,000 for a lil' two stroke, it should be done right as some newb will buy it thinking it is "correct" and the best since he would have paid so much --- and then be disappointed when he realizes all the short cuts or errors etc. I see it all the time in both the bike and car hobby. I hate that so many new buyers get taken advantage. And then they are even more bummed when they go to sell it later realizing how many things on it are wrong for the price he is asking. And then that guy drops out of the hobby altogether because of it all.

Do it once, do it right. That is all. Not that hard. Then thrash on it all you want.