YPVS cleaning cycle question

Central location for technical tips and information

Moderators: rztom, silverstrom

Bushido

YPVS cleaning cycle question

#1 Post by Bushido » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:41 pm

Hey all!

New member from Sweden here!

Not exactly new to RDs, got my first ever bike when I was 15, an -86 RD125 YPVS, then I had a TZR125 and when I turned 18 I got an Elsie 350 as my first "real" bike. That was some 15 years ago, but sadly had to sell them all due to bad economy... Especially sad about the Elsie, I've missed that bike and regretted selling it ever since but sometimes you just got to prioritize boring stuff like paying rent and putting food on the table... :-[

But, I recently got myself a new RD, a 31k YPVS! Feels good to finally get back into 2-strokes! :D

When I got the bike the YPVS seemed dead, no servo sound upon turning the ignition on. After a bit of tweaking and cleaning of the elctrical system I managed to get some life out of it, but I'm wondering if it's all there or if something is not quite right... I've been looking through numerous youtube clips of bikes starting up, and most of them seem to be making three movements as the YPVS cleans itself once ignition is turned on. Mine only makes two movements however, I can hear two distinct whirrs from the servo as it moves the valve in one direction and then back. Is this normal, or does anyone have any idea why my isn't bike doing the third movement?

Here are some clips of my bikes, first my old LC with a bunch of different exhaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpBGRvkhLY
And here's my new YPVS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnAqyaYKFM

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

kpke
-----
-----

Re: YPVS cleaning cycle question

#2 Post by kpke » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:05 am

Welcome. You've had some nice bikes. That is a really nice YPVS. Congratulations.

When you shut the bike off do you use the key switch or the kill switch? I think it makes a difference on the YPVS cycles on start up. I may go for a ride today so will test that theory.