big bore kit ?? to do on not to do

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

big bore kit ?? to do on not to do

#1 Post by aaronmvrider » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:52 am

hi guys i am interested to know if anyone has any feedback on the rz big bore kit for a 485 cc cheetah engine does it put too much strain on the bottom end etc, when rebuilt correctly and what about reliability, what pipes would you run with this size bore? custom or will a set of lomas pipes do the trick...any advise at all or any problems faced would be of a great help :smt003
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

nath

#2 Post by nath » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:33 pm

485 requires a new (stroked) crank if I'm not mistaken so every thing should be fine (in a new one), quite capable, if you are worried about the gearbox it will be fine, clutch might need some heavy duty love though.

For the 485 I would go custom pipes, Steve at twostrokeshop.com can probably sort you out else Greg at kartpipes.com.au made my cub set.

If you are looking at these kits and have not spoken to Steve at twostrokeshop.com that should be your next step.

What are you planning ? any other work ?

Badass

Re: big bore kit ?? to do on not to do

#3 Post by Badass » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:40 pm

aaronmvrider wrote:hi guys i am interested to know if anyone has any feedback on the rz big bore kit for a 485 cc cheetah engine does it put too much strain on the bottom end etc, when rebuilt correctly and what about reliability, what pipes would you run with this size bore? custom or will a set of lomas pipes do the trick...any advise at all or any problems faced would be of a great help :smt003
If the 485 uses the pressure activated P.V.'s then I would go with the TSS 500 if you can swing it. I think it comes with it's own monoblock and pressure activated P.V.'s I.M.O. I would not use it on a RZ :smt017
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

hellmanns

#4 Post by hellmanns » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:11 am

I'm really thinking to go on a 404 without valves and RZ cages....

like this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VITOS-BA ... ccessories

better yet... this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VITOS-BA ... ccessories :smt007
"...It's just like traveling on a plane, but, without that horrible meal... and with the window opened..."
(RD350 87')

Smoker

#5 Post by Smoker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 am

hellmanns wrote:I'm really thinking to go on a 404 without valves and RZ cages....
Won't a streetbike be difficult to ride without valves? It says in the ad- "racing powerband." I've got a feeling there may be a narrow powerband, with nothing at the bottom.
:smt017

Badass

#6 Post by Badass » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:36 pm

aaronmvrider wrote:hi guys i am interested to know if anyone has any feedback on the rz big bore kit for a 485 cc cheetah engine does it put too much strain on the bottom end etc, when rebuilt correctly and what about reliability, what pipes would you run with this size bore? custom or will a set of lomas pipes do the trick...any advise at all or any problems faced would be of a great help :smt003
I wasn't sure if my last post was clear but I can't fix it. If you want smooth broad power you want servo activated power valves, not pressure activated. I believe all the cheetah stuff is pressure activated, AND is designed for Banshee's. DON'T DO IT! You could do a 400 conversion from SpecII wich uses RD400 parts, or maybe a stroker kit of some kind that utilizes stock cylinders?
Two strokes keep the mosquito's in check!!
1984RZ350 Bought with 2,600 mi. in 1998
SpecII Pipes, Complete engine rebuild, 30's, S. 1 Porting, Clutch, Self ported reed cages, T.D.R. reeds, Fork brace, Steering damper.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#7 Post by aaronmvrider » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Badass wrote:
I wasn't sure if my last post was clear but I can't fix it. If you want smooth broad power you want servo activated power valves, not pressure activated. I believe all the cheetah stuff is pressure activated, AND is designed for Banshee's. DON'T DO IT! You could do a 400 conversion from SpecII wich uses RD400 parts, or maybe a stroker kit of some kind that utilizes stock cylinders?

i believe you are right the power valves are pressure activated and i think you cant run an oil injection pump, TSS is definetly the way to go so far, keeping the servo operated valves and the oil injection, but i think all of us would like to see more info on these bikes perhaps different levels of finished components just like MV AGUSTA does an entry level bike and then the options of 312R, AGO, MAMBO, 1078RR etc.., i have contacted Steve at two stroke shop and a build process is about 3 months....and a fist full of $100 bills.. in the end it could very well be money well spent

just dont tell the wife

[smilie=10_2_12.gif] [smilie=10_2_12.gif] [smilie=10_2_12.gif]
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

hellmanns

#8 Post by hellmanns » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:58 am

Smoker wrote:
hellmanns wrote:I'm really thinking to go on a 404 without valves and RZ cages....
Won't a streetbike be difficult to ride without valves? It says in the ad- "racing powerband." I've got a feeling there may be a narrow powerband, with nothing at the bottom.
:smt017

hummmm, maybe it runs like Aprilia RS250 :smt017
"...It's just like traveling on a plane, but, without that horrible meal... and with the window opened..."
(RD350 87')

gus

#9 Post by gus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:54 am

Hellmans if you need anything from Vitos let me know I can beat that price by alot.

hellmanns

#10 Post by hellmanns » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:45 pm

gus wrote:Hellmans if you need anything from Vitos let me know I can beat that price by alot.
hummm, thanks a lot bro!

I'll try to run my engine for 6 months then I'm going to change for something nasty.... :smt003
(RD350 87')

smurph

#11 Post by smurph » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 pm

A person with a little machining know how can convert the pressure operated valves to servo valves. Just like TSS did.

One day, I might just build a monster engine with Cheetah cylinder and the PV conversion. But right now, I'm not sure I would want to ride anything with more power in my 350's frame. It's already a hand full. Maybe if I did some serious frame mods like Smoker has going on. Or a complete ground up new frame...

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

hellmanns

#12 Post by hellmanns » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:35 pm

smurph wrote:A person with a little machining know how can convert the pressure operated valves to servo valves. Just like TSS did.

One day, I might just build a monster engine with Cheetah cylinder and the PV conversion. But right now, I'm not sure I would want to ride anything with more power in my 350's frame. It's already a hand full. Maybe if I did some serious frame mods like Smoker has going on. Or a complete ground up new frame...

Steve
wondering how... :smt017
(RD350 87')

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#13 Post by aaronmvrider » Fri May 01, 2009 2:38 am

i see a cagiva mito rolling chassis and all instruments etc for sale how would it being the frame , brakes and rear sprocket handle a serious 350 engine with a big bore kit ???????

can engine cradle kits be purchased or is it a case of fabricating one at an engineer ???

:smt006
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

petros67

#14 Post by petros67 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:33 am

Hi guys , I'm new here and I'm from Greece.
I'm 2 stroke RD/RZ adicted.
I'm working now on my new project.
I have already just finished a RZ 250 fully restored made it look like brand new and intend to change engine though to a 350 tuned one.
Any way my new project now is a RD 350 31K type to convert with RGV VJ22 front & banana swingarm. I sent my 350 engine in cradle to Stan Stephens in England for big bore cheetah cub kit 425cc aprox 95bhp.
I've ordered Lomas pipes and shall try to make this one like new too.
Im facing some porblems and can not put in photos though.
If any one can help ??? I'll post full photos.
I have photoshop inorder to reduce size of photos.
Petros