I'm looking for a movie!!

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

gmanhevner

I'm looking for a movie!!

#1 Post by gmanhevner » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:36 pm

Ok guys to change up things and to dig deep into your minds, here is a good one, back in the late 80's to early 90's there was a movie about these 2 guys (1 was the rider & 1 was the mech.) and all I can remember was the bike was a 2 stroke and they would do early morning test runs in the neighborhood, I could relate to the early morning rides through the neighborhood, since I would have a 250cc motorcrosser or a sled or something to stirr up the smoke with, any how can anyone tell me what movie it was, they actually raced at tracks, they were privateers or something, and I cant even remember what kind of bike it was they were using, all I know it was a 2 stroke G.P. bike... I gotta find that movie....

Rick Lance

/

#2 Post by Rick Lance » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:01 pm

:cool:
Last edited by Rick Lance on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmanhevner

thanks Rick for the speedy reply

#3 Post by gmanhevner » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:13 pm

That might be the one, there is only one way I can remember how to verify it and it is a quote from the movie, something like he says "the barometer is up like a dick in a whore house", In reference to the jetting and premix settings that were set at the start of one race and by the end, the barometric pressure had changed?

RZMike

#4 Post by RZMike » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:52 pm

Sounds to me like your talking about "A Race for Glory" It's been a long time since I've seen it (1989), but I do remember the racer (Alex Mcarthur) running practice laps through the neighborhood in the early morning hours because he had a course that was simular to the racetrack they were going to race.

I also remember the bike they were running was homebuilt by the mechanic. They got in trouble with the sherrif for runing in the neighborhood even though they patched the roads first. Went to the race, got picked up by a factory team. Had some sort of rivalry with the lead factory rider. His best friend and mechanic left the team for some reason. At the end he and his mechanic race their bike in a "stars & strips" paint scheme.

Bought all I remember. I don't remember the quote you posted, but if this is the movie maybe some of my details will trigger your memory. :grin:

RZMike

#5 Post by RZMike » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:59 pm

Found this info on the internet. Maybe you'll recognize the box picture.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800109412/details

Doesn't look like you can buy it new anymore, but there are several good used copies available.

gmanhevner

Hey RZmike that is the one for sure.

#6 Post by gmanhevner » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:35 pm

Hey bro, that is for sure the movie, the post you made had enough memory tickle for to spark it out of me, I now remember the shriff, and the color scheme of the bike, the attention to the detail of the movie was what struck me, the other movie silver dream racer was made in 1980, and as you said the race for glory was 1989, around the time that I thought I remembered it to be, I have not seen the silver dream racer though I will get it also..thanks everyone for the help......
SGT HEVNER(Gman)

RZMike

#7 Post by RZMike » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:40 pm

Glad I could help you out. I had forgotten about it for years. I may see about buying a used copy now.

Silver Dream Racer is also a good one to get. I remember watching it with my Dad years ago.

gmanhevner

movie's we all should have

#8 Post by gmanhevner » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:45 pm

I will try to get ahold of these in DVD fromat for everyone to see and have, and RZmike could you offer the same.......

RZMike

#9 Post by RZMike » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:24 am

Sure, I'll see what I can do.....

Cascade500

#10 Post by Cascade500 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:57 am

GMan,

Is movie you are thinking about "Little Fauss and Big Halsy", starring Robert Redford and Michael J. Pollard (1970). Robert Redford rode some sort of 2 stroke racer while Michael Pollard was the mechanic. The scene was set in Australia or New Zealand I think, although it wasa filmed in northern california. There were side cars also in the movie also.

If you can find it, let me know. I can hear the sound effects still.

Keep up the good work,

Dirk

gmanhevner

#11 Post by gmanhevner » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:41 pm

hey Dirk,
thanks for the help that is not the movie, however I will probably check it out and own it as well, RZmike had the right movie.......

Cheers,everyone........... :-)

Shaftoflame

#12 Post by Shaftoflame » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:19 pm

Mmmm SIlver Dream Racer

Was actually a 'new' bike not just an RG Suzuki under the fibreglass - unfortunatly this great supposed world beater was a 750 to run as fast as a 500!.. I think it was built by Armstron and was ridden by (amongst others Mick Grant)

From the golden age of Brit riders of 2-strokes. INcluding the TV comentator and general wild boy Steve Parrish ( a great guy I have met him on a few occasions) who along with Mat Oxly managed to 'bomb' a brothel in Macau and has killed off more hire cars than Avis have ever had... lol

Also qualified on behalf of Barry Sheen - who was worse for wear, going out on Barrys Bike in Barrys leathers - and much to his embarrasement - out qualified himself... lol

R
Dreaming is not a failing, it is what makes us climb bigger mountains, make better bikes and love. However it can take up an inordinate amount of time...

Dream50.com

#13 Post by Dream50.com » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:26 pm

Cascade500 wrote:GMan,

Is movie you are thinking about "Little Fauss and Big Halsy", starring Robert Redford and Michael J. Pollard (1970). Robert Redford rode some sort of 2 stroke racer while Michael Pollard was the mechanic. The scene was set in Australia or New Zealand I think, although it wasa filmed in northern california. There were side cars also in the movie also.

If you can find it, let me know. I can hear the sound effects still.

Keep up the good work,

Dirk
This was an awesome old flic, was unable to find an original copy anywhere a few years ago and ended up buying a bootleg "homegrown" version on ebay that someone made by just recording the movie when it aired on a cable channel or something. It was a lousy copy but the flic is totally classic from the early yamaha enduros and what are now vintage 2T road racers to the footage shot at Ascot on and Sears point circuits this old film is just to cool for school. Wish I owned it on dvd, my vcr crapped out a few years ago and I haven't viewed the movie since.

Eric

RZMike

#14 Post by RZMike » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:35 pm

Got my copy of "A Race for Glory" today in the mail. Couldn't find a new one so I bought a used one. Still had a couple hours before the kids got home from school, so I popped it in the VCR to watch. My VCR promptly ate the tape :-x

After an hour of 'surgery' and a donor tape, I got it working again. Looks like one of the tape wheels got broken in shipment.

Now what's the best/cheapest way to get this on DVD before it breaks again? I have a DVD burner on my computer, but if I understand the technology correctly I have to have a video capture device to transfer it to my hard drive. Looks like the easiest way is to go buy one of those $250 VCR/DVD combo units that has a DVD recorder, but I don't have $250 right now.

Twinsport
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by Twinsport » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:35 am

Take a look here:

http://www.usb-ware.com/ads-dvd-xpress.htm

I am sure that this is not the cheapest solution, but it sure is less than 250 bucks.

Drive carefully.

Steen in Denmark
If I had a signature, it would be good.