DIY Zinc Plating

Central location for technical tips and information

Moderators: rztom, silverstrom

kobra

Re: DIY Zinc Plating

#16 Post by kobra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Ok I take that back. Too long in the bath (30 minutes at 1.5 volts) and I got bubbles and streaks in the plating. It looks just like bubbles formed on the surface and then left marks as they grew and traveled upwards. I think we don't see marks when plating at 5V because the bubbles form and dissipate so rapidly. However apparently there is danger of Hydrogen gas buildup when too many bubbles are being formed. So... commonly platers will use the same lower voltage mentioned and use an agitator/bubbler to prevent bubbles on the part and still be able to get a thick coating. I think we are fine as long as it's done with adequate ventilation aka outdoors.

Luckily, a minute in the acid bath and all the zinc is gone!

Here's my electrolyte anode setup. I used anti-moss strip meant for putting on a roof. I had to buy about 10X as much as I needed, but it allows for good coverage.

and a new front wheel spacer zinc'd. Looks awesome.

Whymee you're the man for posting the DIY! Thank you so much.

wolfeman28

#17 Post by wolfeman28 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:15 pm

When I was doing diy anodizing, I found out about the benefits of agitation. Even just a little bit solves a lot of issues. I'm sure it will solve your problem of the inside not getting plated as well. I just used a length of clear tubing with tiny holes drilled along it, and laid it on the bottom edge of my tank. Tiny pump to move the fluid and all was well.

kobra

#18 Post by kobra » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Apparently zinc plating is 'line of sight' because there must be direct electrical potential between the electrodes. So it won't plate holes unless I put a small piece of zinc inside the hole.

Zedixe13
-----
-----

#19 Post by Zedixe13 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 pm

It's the same principle as electro painting , the charged paint particles will surround the part but will not be distributed equally , the closest part will see more deposit , this is why in electroplating you should have multiple electrodes and something to stir the solution , an aquarium pump is just perfect for this .

kobra

#20 Post by kobra » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:36 am

Whymee, thank you SO MUCH for posting this up! I followed it very very closely and had good results. Saved a bunch of $$ and had fun in the process.

Very thankful for you guys.

Whymee

#21 Post by Whymee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:47 pm

You are very welcome. Plate away!

Oh, by the way, It gets addictive... [smilie=eek.gif]
2.5 RZ350's
2018 Grom
2017 KTM 390
2017 FZ-10
1973 RT3
1974 TY250